Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of pinned platform pedals and I'm looking for a shoe that will really stick to them. I was looking at some BMX style shoes but they seem to be real cumbersome and heavy. My riding is XC/AM and I was wondering if an indoor soccer or racquetball shoe would work. The tread pattern seems to be somewhat similar, the only problem is that I'm not sure what effect the stiffness of the shoe will have on my riding. Right now, I'm just using a pair of running shoes, but the tread is a little clunky and I'm not getting as much stick as I should be. Any imput is greatly appreciated!

·
Midwest Rider
126 Posts
5.10s are real nice, possibly the best, I like my hi-tops. I also have some skate shoes (etnies) that I wear for BMX because they're smaller profile and don't catch on the rear peg as much. They still grip really well.

The stiffer the sole the better for pedaling. I've recently went clipless shoes and they are definitely stiff!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you ever find that shoes like etnies are heavy and exhausting on a long ride? I was thinking I needed something lighter but stiff still. Which model of 5.10's do you recommend?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hear alot of great stuff about the 5.10's, mostly the Impacts. I've been looking to pick up a pair of the the sam hill impact or the guides

·
Registered
399 Posts
5.10 high impacts for me...great ankle protection, super grippy (never rode clipless, but I imagine it feels somewhat like wearing these shoes!)

Pretty amazing how well these suede finish shoes clean up, even after a muddy ride! Very pleased with mine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you cheap (like me) and don't want to buy a pair of shoes that are limited to just biking, pick up a pair of Adidas. I'm not sure what type mine are, but their the standard black with the 3 white stripes. They actually have a surprising amount of grip, and their also fairly lightweight and comfy.

·
El Pollo Diablo
1,473 Posts
most classic style adis are going to be shredded pretty quick...

I've heard nothing but good things about the 510s, but couldn't say for sure, as Nike (like most companys) only goes up to size 13 on most of their shoes.
I rock Vans skate shoes, work great for me.
(would only worry about wieght for shoes if they were truly anchors, and if I was in perfect shape, and my bike had already gone on a diet. grippiness/connection to the bike is too important to skimp on)

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
Vans...nuff said

djfuente said:
I have a set of pinned platform pedals and I'm looking for a shoe that will really stick to them. I was looking at some BMX style shoes but they seem to be real cumbersome and heavy. My riding is XC/AM and I was wondering if an indoor soccer or racquetball shoe would work. The tread pattern seems to be somewhat similar, the only problem is that I'm not sure what effect the stiffness of the shoe will have on my riding. Right now, I'm just using a pair of running shoes, but the tread is a little clunky and I'm not getting as much stick as I should be. Any imput is greatly appreciated!
These are cool:
http://www.danscomp.com/723270.php?cat=SHOE

I'm using a pair of Vans Varial (I think)...they kinda look like tennis shoes but with the Vans sole on them.

http://shop.vans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10106_10101_304297_-1

I have the white ones...
AJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.