Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure I want to be at the mercy of Mavic and wait for the 819s to come in.....could be a while.

What are some recommended SS rims? My short list includes the 819s, DT Swiss XR4.1d, Syncros 23s....

Are the DT Swiss too narrow to run wider tires effectively? I have them on the bike I am selling but only ran XC tires.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DiRt DeViL said:
Look around for any X3.1s, they're the same as the 819s and can be had for cheap.
good point. Larry (Mettler) is building this for me and does not have any and he is as resourceful as it gets.

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
keep looking. I've seen some mail order houses with them, you might want to call around and find out. I have the x3.1's and they hold true longer than any rim i've ever used. disc, and tubeless too.

Since mine are getting old (3 years almost) I'm looking to get replacements, and running into the same issues. I'll probably end up getting the same rims again...they are out there. Your local shops may have a set hanging on the walls collecting dust.

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
I just switched out my X317's for XM819's on the SS.... that was my first choice. Ended up getting a deal on some OnyxDisc hubs with DT4.1d rims - seem very nice also. They are my back up SS wheels.

Another choice always like is the cool colors of Velocity Rims.

FF

·
Not because I'm fast.....
748 Posts
FoShizzle said:
Not sure I want to be at the mercy of Mavic and wait for the 819s to come in.....could be a while.

What are some recommended SS rims? My short list includes the 819s, DT Swiss XR4.1d, Syncros 23s....

Are the DT Swiss too narrow to run wider tires effectively? I have them on the bike I am selling but only ran XC tires.
I have Mavic 519s on my SS. But, I also have a new wheelset on my Ventana and the rims are Velocity Aeroheat which have turned out to be really nice, strong, and fairly light.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
screampint said:
Really like my DT rims and they hold on to my 2.5 tires just fine. Larry's on the Front Range of CO, right? It shouldn't take much for him to get some DT's if he's out; DT (US HQ) is just over the "hills" from him in Grand Junction.
thanks...DTs are not the problem, it is the 819s that are tough to get.

cheers

·
singlespeed smash brother
318 Posts
I'm going to chime in here cos I've been dying to rave about my rims for a while. I'm running Ritchy OCR disc rims. The thing that I find so rave worthy about them is that in the 3 years I've been running them I've had not one Pinch flat. I've had thorns, torn valves but never a snake bite. I run my tyres a 27psi front and 32psi rear. I did some investigating and they have a special anti pinch flat lip all around them. Usually I'd say it was a gimic but I'm convinced it actually works. If thats worth anything to you then they are worth a look. I've turned off mavic in recent years as well because all the wheels I've built with them all seem to crack around the eyelets. I use a tension meter when building wheels so I know I'm not over doing it. I just think these days mavic is more hype than actual good product.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You aint kiddin...

I just grabbed the last two 819 discs Cambria/Bicycle Emporium had in stock. Hopefully will have them next week to lace up to my brand spankin new black Phil Wood SLR disc hubs.

Brent from PW tried to hook me up with 819 discs, but the order got screwed up (not Brent's doing). Seems Mavic is out of 819 discs for a bit too.

Good luck hunting, I've got my fingers crossed my rims make it to Auburn from Rohnert Park without being hijacked. ;0)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.