Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mr. Knowitall
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am about to build my first high quality set of wheels based on Chris King ISO Discs, and I am a bit confused on which rims to go for. I am 75kg+ and ride a Yeti 575 '08 with TALAS 32. Weight is an issue as well as sufficient strengt.

I plan to lace my wheels using DT Supercomps (on recommendation from experienced local wheelbuilder) and aluminium nipples.

I have these rims in mind (most expensive top):
DT 4.2D (400g)
NoTubes ZTR Arch (420g)
Mavic XM719 (460g)
Syncros FLR DS23 (440g)

The Arch is tempting, but it does not have eyelets, and I have heard that eyeletless wheels are not too good with alu-nipples.

Do anyone have some view on these rims? I am not the most aggressive trail rider, so heavier rims are not interesting nor necessary.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Out of those i'd say the Arch. They are the most easy (and lightest) to use tubeless and they have been proven to be a very durable rim (but all the others in your list have aswell).

I would not worry about the lack of eyelets, the Alloy nipples will work just fine in this rim if built with correct tension.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
hssp said:
Hi
I am about to build my first high quality set of wheels based on Chris King ISO Discs, and I am a bit confused on which rims to go for. I am 75kg+ and ride a Yeti 575 '08 with TALAS 32. Weight is an issue as well as sufficient strengt.

I plan to lace my wheels using DT Supercomps (on recommendation from experienced local wheelbuilder) and aluminium nipples.

I have these rims in mind (most expensive top):
DT 4.2D (400g)
NoTubes ZTR Arch (420g)
Mavic XM719 (460g)
Syncros FLR DS23 (440g)

The Arch is tempting, but it does not have eyelets, and I have heard that eyeletless wheels are not too good with alu-nipples.

Do anyone have some view on these rims? I am not the most aggressive trail rider, so heavier rims are not interesting nor necessary.
You weigh about the same as I do, I have a set of Hadley's laced to DT 5.1s for
my trail bike. I think they weight 450g, and have been very good rims.
OTOH, I won't use aluminum nipples anymore, after a couple of years of hard riding, I've had numerous breaks at the nipple, and have since replaced with brass.

·
Mr. Knowitall
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cbrossman said:
You weigh about the same as I do, I have a set of Hadley's laced to DT 5.1s for
my trail bike. I think they weight 450g, and have been very good rims.
OTOH, I won't use aluminum nipples anymore, after a couple of years of hard riding, I've had numerous breaks at the nipple, and have since replaced with brass.
I think you ride a bit harder than me:) And the 5.1s are a bit too heavy for my taste (500 g). I hope to land on about 1700 grams tops or a bit less. The Arch sound tempting as I am going tubeless anyway. I have been running my machine built Syncros FLR DS23s on XT hubs since July, and they are still true. And white;) Is there any reason why I should not lace my new hubs to these (or similar new) rims?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.