Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I know a bunch of people on here ride with their dogs. I was just wondering what some good breeds are for following trails, running long periods of time, etc..
Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have an American Bulldog. He can keep up on the trails all day, if it's not to hot. They take a good bit of training but are a great dog for the right owner.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
a beagle trail dog? this i gotta see! i had a beagle and keepin him in the same zip code was a chore. my aussi cattle dog is a sprinter from the planet hell and a fearless jumper. moreso than i am, but not long legged.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
dervishboy05 said:
I honestly dont think a dog could cover as much ground as a decent rider on a nice hill.
Many actually can. Cattle dogs seem to be the best unless you're hucking huge stuff, they like to chase. My buddies Australian cattle dog (not sure of the exact breed) has to be held back or else he'll chase us over any drop or big jump when we take him with us on rides. The dog has no fear but he scares the crap out of us when he tries to drop ten feet and then balls it up on the transition. He's awesome but we don't want him to get hurt!

I gotta agree with Cactus, my mom has a beagle and that damn hound doesn't pay attention to a thing but his nose. I would never take him on a trail without tethering him to the bike and I get the feeling I'd end up dragging him half the time.

·
Addicted
749 Posts
My choice would be a German Shepard/Rottweiler mix. Very obediant, well mannered as well as large and powerful with tons of energy to keep up on the fastest of trails.

My little puppy when I first got her. 5 months later my full grown bordercollie could walk underneath her. She's HUGE!

-Kevin

·
Registered
659 Posts
Clutchman83 said:
Many actually can. Cattle dogs seem to be the best unless you're hucking huge stuff, they like to chase. My buddies Australian cattle dog (not sure of the exact breed) has to be held back or else he'll chase us over any drop or big jump when we take him with us on rides. The dog has no fear but he scares the crap out of us when he tries to drop ten feet and then balls it up on the transition. He's awesome but we don't want him to get hurt!

I gotta agree with Cactus, my mom has a beagle and that damn hound doesn't pay attention to a thing but his nose. I would never take him on a trail without tethering him to the bike and I get the feeling I'd end up dragging him half the time.
get an australian cattle dog! but make sure is the red and stumpi tail! those are 'closer' to the Dingo dog, have more endurance, and are fearless, besides they tolerate the heat way better........

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Chessie (Chesapeake Bay Retriever). . . runs 30 miles, comes back home and all she wants to do is fetch. . . lives to work and run / exercise. I started her young, she got hit twice by the bike, trying to get a chipmunk on a downhill stretch, never been hit again. She'll kiss my back tire, or who ever is in front, and if she hears you coming up close from behind, she'll pull over and wait for you to pass. . . better than most riders :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a greyhound, she runs faster than I can bike up or down! She can run all day long at your speed. They seem lazy but only burn energy that they have too. I have never hit her because she is to fast at getting out of the way. She is great on freeride trails as well, she runs behind and stops when you go on a jump or skinny and they follows right behind again! My other dog was a dalmatian, both breeds are very smart and love to run!

·
外国人
412 Posts
herders would be the prime choice as they were bred for their stamina. border collies, working gsds, australian sheepdogs etc.. also dalmatians are a good choice since they were originally associated with fire trucks running around town

performance american bulldogs are good too (those bred for hog catching/manwork) and not those short stubby legged bulldogs.

·
pin it to win it
541 Posts
santaheckler said:
Rhodesian (sp?) Ridgeback
Yes that is the best riding partner dog you can get. Henry odonnell up in downieville has one and it will run rite on you tire all the way down the dowieville downhill. The dogs were orginally bred to be lion dogs in africa so they can run all day long.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
Truckee, I miss my Chessir so much. We had to put her down in early 2007, and she was the best dog ever. She didn't like anyone but me, and was a lesbian, but she was awesome.

I'd love to get another one. The have the loyalty and desire to please of a lab, but have the sit-on-the-couch-with-you mentality of a golden.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a Border collie mix, he’s 6 months old. How early can I get him on the trail? How do you guys train your dogs to stay w/ you and not just run off? And what about snakes, and staying out of the way from other riders? I’ve always wanted to take my dog with me riding, but I’m afraid if I take him off the leash he’ll just want to take off.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Dalmatian as they were bread to run behind carriages of the rich to show of, they would run for hours on end.

Terminator Z you would be in risk of damaging his joints for later in life, wait till he's 12 months, but still take it slowly.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Huskies are great but they are known to run away as soon as they are off the leash, I've owned three in my lifetime. Even after years of caring for them and as good of a companion they are they often just take off. Trying to catch them is no fun, one of ours ended up hit by a car although that was in the city and not on trails.
Other than that a super breed!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts