Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious about the area.
and wondering how much good riding and/or potential exists there, and if there are many groups or organized clubs, teams in the area

·
Registered
502 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
and wondering how much good riding and/or potential exists there, and if there are many groups or organized clubs, teams in the area
I think I remember seeing some posts about the Carlsbad area a year or so ago, probably on this board. Do a little searching and see what comes up. I am sure the terrain is bumpy and full of big cactus but it is probably plenty of fun. Unfortunately I doubt they have intenet access in Carlasbad yet so the chances of finding any locals on this board is pretty slim. Might find some Cruces or El Paso residents that know something though............

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,380 Posts
What little I know.....

Well, I grew up there but am in Las Cruces now. I know of one trail - listed here at:
http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/trails-new-mexico/trail/PRD_169180_4565crx.aspx

But - it is/was a short (1 mile?) loop. There used to be a bike shop in Carlsbad (the bike doc? bike doctor?) but I can't find it at dexonline or in my phonelist so it may be gone :(

The whole area is laced with jeep roads, which you can get on topo maps. Don't show singletrack tho. I have done an epic from Dark Canyon lookout to the Caverns twice, 15 yrs ago and 7 yrs ago. It's all jeep road but doesn't get driven because of this one deathhill - it even has a steel cable along the "road"/arroyo from days gone by. Many limestone steps - suspension is your friend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Carlsbad

Check with the BLM office. Acouple three years ago they worked with the local riders and came up with a multi loop trail (varying distances). There is a small group of riders down there, not sure on how to contact them though

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anybody know Nathan (Nate) Heronen?

Used to ride with him back in SoCal. I know he graduated from an engineering school and was told he's now working in Carlsbad, for a while

One amazing rider, incredible bike handler. I just wanted to say hello, and congrats on receiving his degree as well...

·
Registered
185 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
Used to ride with him back in SoCal. I know he graduated from an engineering school and was told he's now working in Carlsbad, for a while

Nathan posts here as "desert kid". Now that he has his degree ... he's putting it to use down at the Mosaic Potash mines.

>One amazing rider, incredible bike handler. <

Video available at : http://www.spoke-n-word-cycles.com/socorro.html

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure is - thanks for the Vid

Sarvis said:
mtnbkrdr98 said:

Nathan posts here as "desert kid". Now that he has his degree ... he's putting it to use down at the Mosaic Potash mines.

>One amazing rider, incredible bike handler. <

Video available at : http://www.spoke-n-word-cycles.com/socorro.html
He could always pull trials moves on his mtn bike, and good jumper.
Here's one of Chris from Boise, I'd like to be able to do some o dat!
Inversion Aversion
vid: http://tv.isg.si/site/?q=filebrowser/beelzebubba

·
Registered
1 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
I don't remember much being down in Carlsbad. I know there is some hiking up at Sitting Bull Falls. If you willing to take a drive there is a State Park outside of Roswell (Bottomless Lakes) that has a new 5k singletrack trail. There is camping on site and the trail is beginner/intermediate, a fun trail all together.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Just rode the La Cueva trail for the second time today. The weather was awesome, and other than having to dodge some young guys with guns...it was a decent ride! The first time on the trail several months ago was on a semi-rigid Slingshot, but after a taste of that rough trail on the Slingshot I sold it and picked-up a Titus Racer-X.Totally different scenario this time, and a much more enjoyable ride with full suspension under me.

Even fixing a flat with mid 70's temps and the blue sky overhead reminded me of the value of being here this time of the year. Coming from Missouri our singletrack trails are typically pretty smoothe, and we don't have goatheads and other sharp stuff to keep your tires flat. Unfortunately with spring rains they can get pretty slimey and muddy at times,and the humidity can be a real killer. Guess theres no nirvana, but for now I will take the warm temps and the La Cueva is good therapy!

Jeff :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
riding in c bad

mtnbkrdr98 said:

One amazing rider, incredible bike handler. I just wanted to say hello, and congrats on receiving his degree as well...
Yeah thats me. I live in CBAD now

There is some decent riding here. La Cueva is acceptable for day to day riding. Aparently there is some riding in dog canyon. I heard about it from the Rough Rider Canyon guys from EL paso. I need to get ahold of them and find out what up with those trails. If riding was allowed in the Guadalupe National Park it would be sick!!!......Se la vi...its a natty park

·
Registered
526 Posts
desert kid said:
If riding was allowed in the Guadalupe National Park it would be sick!!!......Se la vi...its a natty park
Riding is allowed. Just no cutting of trails.

A good ride we used to do is ride up the gravel rim road to the end then turn back and left on a jeep road. I forget the number/name. It'll take you all the way down some sick jeep road and the a lil climb back up to the lookout tower. From there just bomb back down to the bottom of the gravel rim road.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Trai Rides

xl_cheese said:
Riding is allowed. Just no cutting of trails.

A good ride we used to do is ride up the gravel rim road to the end then turn back and left on a jeep road. I forget the number/name. It'll take you all the way down some sick jeep road and the a lil climb back up to the lookout tower. From there just bomb back down to the bottom of the gravel rim road.
I think i know the place you are talking about. I think it is called soldier Springs. What I thought might be good riding is the trails that are in the national park, not the national forrest. I am pretty sure there is no mechanized transportation in a national park (near guadalupe peak and El Capitan)

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nathan it's good to hear from you!

desert kid said:
Yeah thats me. I live in CBAD now

There is some decent riding here. La Cueva is acceptable for day to day riding. Aparently there is some riding in dog canyon. I heard about it from the Rough Rider Canyon guys from EL paso. I need to get ahold of them and find out what up with those trails. If riding was allowed in the Guadalupe National Park it would be sick!!!......Se la vi...its a natty park
Good there's some riding there and you have a REAL JOB, as you said. :)

I live in SW Idaho now, at least for a while, we'll see if I want to buy a house here or not...

I just bought a 5 Spot from Tani though and am loving it!!!!

Take care sir

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.