Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Liteandfast and I joined CactusJoe and the mothership for Saturday night camping and the ride started promptly on Sunday at 9.... ok, probably more like 9:45ish. First to roll into camp on Sunday AM was local guy Chaulkpaw. Up from Phoenix were Fattrax, Zort, Mark, Kymmster, and new guy Transientplanet and from Prescott was Jayem. I started by slowing everyone down with flat. Notice the helpful nature of all these fine men in the presence of a capable woman :rolleyes: ha! But soon we were rolling again and it always seemed to be up up up. We started with some warmup on the Fort Valley trails then scooted on over to Schultz. Up Schultz, down Little Elden, up Little Bear, up Sunset to the west (I always seem to forget how much up there is before the down), and down Sunset. Ack! Half the group was out of water by this point. Some kind campers set us up with fluids and we were on our way again... half headed down Schultz back to camp while the others followed Chalkpaw across some *new* singletrack that cuts out some of the climbing to Secret. But oh joy, there is still plenty of climbing.... Secret was absolutely beautiful with fresh green ferns and the white-barked aspens. Did I stop to take pics? No... I was in survival mode. And then.... Life sprung back in my legs and arms and it was a jolly pumping ride down sweet Supermoto. We finished by flying down Lower Moto and back to camp. Whew!! The big ride was a total of 22 miles.

Thanks to Chalkpaw for showing us visitors around and to all you guys for showing up to share the ride. Kymmster who I thought from this forum was a DH guy is a pretty darn good uphill guy too, doing it today on a heavy hard-tail dirt jumping single speed with flats. ouch!

So here are just a few pics. No video from me but Tomas (Chalkpaw) who has the local lungs to keep ahead of all of us lowlanders grabbed some great footage from the day which I'm sure he'll be sharing soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Just as well we got some pictures this week DurtGurl LOL....... Great to hear the ride went well, had a great ride there when I visited last year to ride Az..... Indeed some ups, but some great down trails too.....

Good pictures to remind us of the trail....

·
I'm "bad" different
138 Posts
Wish I could have joined the ride today, but at least I got to crack beers at the Mothership after my Saturday ride.:thumbsup: Glad everyone had a good time. I took such a smackdown on my first Flag ride of the year I might just have to head back next weekend for a rematch.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
How are the conditions? Looks super dry. Last time I was up there (last year) the silt was terrible. Actually the ride was less than stellar. I'd like to get up there again, but not if I have to ride 1/4 mile behind the guy in front of me just so I can see.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tiSS'er said:
How are the conditions? Looks super dry. Last time I was up there (last year) the silt was terrible. Actually the ride was less than stellar. I'd like to get up there again, but not if I have to ride 1/4 mile behind the guy in front of me just so I can see.
It was super dusty and dry. But heck, it's cooler than Phoenix and the trails are still so fun. I"ll be heading up again with a group over 4th of July weekend and will be posting it up in a few days so people can plan. good times!

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Sure looks like a lot of fun! Had to be more fun than posting invoices which was my weekend project.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bike=good said:
Looks like a sweet weekend, nice pics... I didn't read about any mech. failures, am I to believe CactusJoe made it through a ride without breaking something? impossible.
Well, he did have a fork issue during the ride which he fixed once back at camp. I had the only mechanical when I punched an unsealable little slice in my tubeless setup right at the beginning of the ride. Popped in a tube and this time my tube had no holes so I was good to go.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,574 Posts
My fork blew a seal and the air pressure eventually leaked out, so I went down Shultz and missed out on the Secret/Supermoto action. Luckily it has a coil spring in there too, but it wouldn't have been enough to keep from bottoming on supermoto and more gnarly stuff.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jayem said:
My fork blew a seal and the air pressure eventually leaked out, so I went down Shultz and missed out on the Secret/Supermoto action. Luckily it has a coil spring in there too, but it wouldn't have been enough to keep from bottoming on supermoto and more gnarly stuff.
oh yea... I missed riding with you on Supermoto!! Good stuff there. Tomas got a good clip of Nick flying over his bars :thumbsup:

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
mmmm suuuupermoto! Love that stretch of trail. Thanks for the pics, K! Sorry we missed the fun! We should be there for at least a day over the 4th. ;)

·
Dave
899 Posts
Flag ride = Good Times

It was a great ride you guys, I just love it up there, maybe I should look for a job up there. Tomas thanks for showing us some new stuff and K thanks for showing us a great map and leading us UP Little Bear, it was a climb and a half. I have a few shots to share and one short vid that I'll get to later. I must pack for the Norht Rim today.
LnF

Attachments

·
Dave
899 Posts
Last photo of CactusJoe

I think Joe was demonstrating how to breath up at 9000 feet. I can still hear him weasing. Thanks for the cold ones Joe. Nice meeting your family. You got some cute kids there!!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Ho, Man!
Durn good weekend. I enjoyed meeting and riding with y'all. Here is the footage I put together. But I gotta learn how to spell Chopper. Chopper, not copper. Edit on the way. Enjoy,
Tomas
http://gallery.mac.com/stonecropaz#100204

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,325 Posts
Looks like I just missed you guys by a few hours. Sunday I headed up shultz around 12:30 which at that time it was hot but I just kept thinking how hot Phoenix was at the moment. For some reason the climb up little gnarly kicked my butt but once to the dry lake meadow all was good. Saturday I went over to Upper Lake Mary to take in the view and couldn't believe how much water is there, I will post some pics later but it was definitely good to see.

·
shred my gnar
604 Posts
hey... my bud & i got in the midst of your group going up schultz yesterday. i wasnt sure but now i see that good lookin orange lenz again that caught my eye on the trail yesterday. woulda stopped to talk if we knew it was your group.

i stopped to check my latest fix on a pivot bolt issue (which worked... see world class failure thread...) thats been nagging me right as you all hit that first rock garden. we rode with yall for a bit then took a break to let your group get out aways... then you guys stopped at the lincoln logs and we got in the middle of you again! hope we didnt get in anyone's way... seems like we hit your group at the two worst spots on schultz...

we ended up hitting schultz->sunset->upper brookbank->secret squirrel->schultz. super fun ride with the squirrel being an absolute butt kicker... some sections i will likely never ride... most of those really steep trails coming off the dry lakes down to rocky/schultz/l.gnarly (discussed in a thread last week i think) are just too damn loose this time of year... "controlled" slides are the rule! once monsoons hit they should get into better shape.

anyhow... good to see your posse on the trail and ill be sure and stop to chat next time i bump into some of ya...

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,325 Posts
happy_ending said:
oh yeah...btw... i was the dood on the maroon chumba with an orange hula shirt on.
I remember a very loud hula shirt coming down schultz yesterday on my way up :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts