Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of good training books out there.

Latest one I have read, or listen to on my 2500km drive to Whiskey 50, is Endure by Alex hutchinson. I highly recommend it anybody who does endurance sports.

What is everyone's favorite?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just finished What doesn't kill us by Scott Carney. It's an overview of the Wim Hof method. I've been doing the breathing exercises and some mild cold water immersion. It's interesting stuff, particularly the brown adipose tissue discussion.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I just finished What doesn't kill us by Scott Carney. It's an overview of the Wim Hof method. I've been doing the breathing exercises and some mild cold water immersion. It's interesting stuff, particularly the brown adipose tissue discussion.
Similar to what was being talked about a few years back in the Freediving circles. What's was the connections with endurance sports?

·
Registered
558 Posts
What's was the connections with endurance sports?
I'm not 100% sure, but there are linkages needing additional study. Ned Overend used to do hypoxic swimming during his prime, so some elites have done similar things in the past. I'm curious, who on here does breathing exercises?

The breathing exercises can reduce blood alkalinity, but for how long I'm not sure. I do them first thing in the morning, but I wonder if doing them again right after a ride would enhance recovery.

The cold bath research is promising, so if being more cold-adapted makes you more likely to do them post-ride, again it would be a benefit.

Like yoga, I'm finding it a great meditative process, so even if the physical benefits are minimal, I'll still find it worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but there are linkages needing additional study. Ned Overend used to do hypoxic swimming during his prime, so some elites have done similar things in the past. I'm curious, who on here does breathing exercises?

The breathing exercises can reduce blood alkalinity, but for how long I'm not sure. I do them first thing in the morning, but I wonder if doing them again right after a ride would enhance recovery.

The cold bath research is promising, so if being more cold-adapted makes you more likely to do them post-ride, again it would be a benefit.

Like yoga, I'm finding it a great meditative process, so even if the physical benefits are minimal, I'll still find it worthwhile.
I was into freediving, but that was prior to competitive cycling, I used to do frequent breath hold exercises. I also used to do Pranayama Yoga but have since given it up for std. yoga. I too find that Yoga helps, helps keep be balanced and always feel better after doing it consistently during a heavy training block. But I really cut back on the hot / vinyasa type, which is pretty extreme and can take a day to recover from (particularly if your a heavy sweater) and tend to focus on the more meditative styles like Yin or the "restorative" ones.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Though not training books, I thoroughly enjoyed all of the books, written by various athletes or others, regarding Lance's career and resultant fall. There were certainly good accounts of legit training, but much more on the illegal stuff.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Which research is that? All the research I have come across shows that a cold soak for recovery is counter productive.

I need to do meditation. I need to get off my phone before bed and do that.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
What's was the connections with endurance sports?
I would consider Hof an endurance athlete. Ultra marathoner, I believe he climbed Everest without oxygen, in shorts and a t-shirt. He's an odd character and he found out what works for him, but I don't believe his methods are universal. He has an odd diet as well, something like he eats one meal a day around 6pm.

I have tried his breathing methods though, just for kicks.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Glad you mentioned this, it got me to look again. There are a couple of conflicting studies. For example: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29189587 and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5350472/
And for you audio/podcast types, I forgot I just listened to this a couple of weeks ago:

Starts 12 minutes in.

* Published: 4/5/19 1:44:49 PM

* Episode Download Link (43 MB): https://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/audio.wnyc.org/science-friday/science-friday040519b.mp3

* Show Notes: https://www.sciencefriday.com/episodes/april-5-2019/

* Episode feed: Science Friday - https://sciencefriday.libsyn.com/rss

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.