Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
To add to OP's question, has anyone found baggies that are suitable for racing? I noticed the Cannondale Factory riders are in baggies again for the XCO races.

I have a couple pairs of baggy shorts, but I never thought the fit was good enough to race. They always seem to be in the way.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
To add to OP's question, has anyone found baggies that are suitable for racing? I noticed the Cannondale Factory riders are in baggies again for the XCO races.

I have a couple pairs of baggy shorts, but I never thought the fit was good enough to race. They always seem to be in the way.
I'm also curious as well. I would never race in baggies (they are inefficient in terms of impeding leg motion and adding heat) but If I'm in a group ride with a bunch of dudes wearing baggies, then I don't want to be the only one wearing lycra. They're are also nice when you wreck onto your hip when on slick rock. They won't rip and protect your high end bibs underneath.

I usually wear some Assos Uno bibs covered with a PI baggy shell. I also have a pair of Quik Silver board shorts that work well over bibs. The outer shell of baggies are typically board shorts anyway.

To the OP: it sort of depends on your preference of thick vs. thinner chamois. Castelli runs a thin chamois. Assos a thicker chamois (for the Uno at least). Our team runs Verge clothing and they have a medium and "distance" chamois. Different dudes like different ones. All of these are excellent though. I have some teammates that have bought the PI high end stuff and absolutely love it as well.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I'm also curious as well. I would never race in baggies (they are inefficient in terms of impeding leg motion and adding heat) but If I'm in a group ride with a bunch of dudes wearing baggies, then I don't want to be the only one wearing lycra. They're are also nice when you wreck onto your hip when on slick rock. They won't rip and protect your high end bibs underneath.
OK, your more protection/less likely to rip in a crash stance is valid (although there's room for debate just how much more protection there is unless you're wearing a more heavy DH type short). What I don't get is the "I'm the only one wearing traditional cycling shorts and I don't want to not be like everyone else" part. Same old lycra vs baggies debate I know but if the question is "what's most comfortable and functional" I don't see that it matters what someone's fashion insecurities are.

Anyway, over the years I've owned numerous top end bib style shorts and there are a lot of really good ones out there that have already been mentioned. I like the pearlizumi bibs a lot but maybe that's just because they're what I have right now. Be prepared to spend some bucks though. The top of the line stuff is pricey but IMO worth it. If you take proper care of them and aren't a crasher they'll last many years.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I've been tending to choose Castelli bibshorts for the last few years. The Castelli Bodypaint shorts are what I wear for longer rides, used with Assos chamois cream. I find them quite comfortable and they last for several years. You just have to be careful to wash them inside out on a delicates washing machine setting so that the logos don't come off.:)

http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/603/

For a spring/ summer base layer the Assos ones are good.

http://www.assos.com/en/19/singleProduct.aspx?cat=6,19,21&prod=479

This year I've also got a Castelli Flanders windproof base layer for early season riding. It has a windstopper front to keep the cold off your chest and has been getting plenty of use.

http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/855/

For clothing to wear whilst racing you could consider a Castelli SanRemo speedsuit. It's a skinsuit with a full zip front and three pockets in the rear.:)

http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/945/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.