Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my dad finally came through with some pictures...he sized them down so they don't look as good. Also the ground is uneven, so the bars are not that high, just slightly below the saddle once I got everything worked out..size wise.

The bike fits me perfectly, and initial ride report was most excellent. The bike handles great and the front end is super light with that fork. I really don't notice it's rigid, the combo with the H-bar makes for a front end that doesn't jar me. After the ride my hands/arms didn't hurt at all, but I commute on a fully rigid cruiser as well.

I have to shout out Brad for putting up with my neurotic ways, he's a great guy and when I save enough for my road bike it's going his direction..hmmm, orange roadie with panels. I suggest everyone interested in a build to go with Wily, the quality of the bike is really amazing and it makes me want to ride, just by looking at it. I got nothing but love for Wily, like Heavy D and his sweater vests.....and cue the specs *sliding mixers forward*

Wily Frame
seat tube length: 17.5"
top tube length (effective): 25"
seat angle: 73.5
head angle: 72
head tube length: 4.2"
bb heighth= 12.35" in high EBB position, 11.85" in low EBB position
Wliy Fork (disc only, sussy corrected...came with forward facing drops! :) )
Selle SLR saddle
Thomson post and 120 x 15 stem
XTR cranks w/ dura ace bb (need a wider bb if anyone has one)
King SS disc/Delgado wheels
King headset
Sram PC-58(don't playerhate...as we say in the shop, chainsnobs)
Jones H-bars
Avid Ti Levers mated to 185 BBDB's

I'm down to do group rides with anyone from KC/Lawrence/Topeka on 29ers...I finally got a car to take me to the trail heads so let me know if you're interested @ [email protected]

Attachments

·
hispanic mechanic
2,696 Posts
Sick...

appleSSeed said:
I have to shout out Brad for putting up with my neurotic ways, he's a great guy and when I save enough for my road bike it's going his direction..hmmm, orange roadie with panels. I suggest everyone interested in a build to go with Wily, the quality of the bike is really amazing and it makes me want to ride, just by looking at it. I got nothing but love for Wily, like Heavy D and his sweater vests.....and cue the specs *sliding mixers forward*
Nice bike, man!
Glad you feel the same way about yours as I do about mine!
Perhaps one day we'll have us a "pack gathering!"

the los

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ATXSS said:
Very nice, tell me what kind of grips you have there on the Jone's bars that reach from the weld all the way to the end. Enjoy it man - looks superb.
they are the classic Pedro's Bobke Prayer Stix with a little wire around the tips just in case...I just wrapped a little bar tape around the bars from the top of them, slightly overlapping and it works great since they are so slim

The spider is an AC components one that I got either from Cambria bike or from BTI, I can't remember, but it looks nice with the Spot guard since they are both black.

oh yeah, and gearing is standard 29er affair, 34x19, pedals are eggbeater SS's

thanks for all of your comments, I'm in love with the bike :)

I guess it's worth mentioning that most of these parts came from MTBR classifieds, or members here that I traded parts with, so thanks to all of you for the great deals and for specing my dream bike and the one and only bike for me right now.....besides my dads canabalized SS cannondale I ride and my all black cruiser/commuter/car which I'll post a picture of sometime soon

I still lust after your bike Los and one day we do need to have a Wily pack ride in Colorado, that'd be amazing

I can't wait to see Motoman's

once I get a Brooks it'll be on, Los will be #1, I'll be 2 and motoman 3 for the panel/brooks wily which should be the standard for all Wily's from now on, I think ;) although I love my SLR

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Glad to see the line moving!

The wait for my Wily is killing me, but very new bike that rolls out means I'm a step closer. I have most of the parts for the build in the garage and all I can do is fondle them. That and obsess over what colors to go with at Spectrum.

Beautiful bike- makes me want to spend the extra $$ for a panel job.

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Oh man! You are killing me with these photos! I am still waiting for mine to come back from paint. I will have a full spread of my bike from the minute I get some painted photos from Brad.
I have a lot of work to do. I have to partially disassemble my Monkey and completely assemble some wheels... It might take me a while...

Moto

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moto you'll probably have the hottest Wily yet, orange w/ panels...yes please

Mattman, I dunno what it weighs, under 25 for sure and that's all I care about anymore, I'm a refined weight weenie...my scale is now used for other things :) ....like weighing food :p

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
appleSSeed said:
Moto you'll probably have the hottest Wily yet, orange w/ panels...yes please

Mattman, I dunno what it weighs, under 25 for sure and that's all I care about anymore, I'm a refined weight weenie...my scale is now used for other things :) ....like weighing food :p
Thanks for your vote of confidence in my color picking skills. I am really quite curious how it is going to turn out.

I am with you about the weighing thing. If I was really that worried about weight then I wouldn't have gone filet brazed. As my old boss used to say: Stop spending money on titanium bolt kits and ultra light parts. Just practice pushing yourself away from the dinner table once in a while. Not only will you lose weight. But, you will actually save money too.

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
appleSSeed said:
hmm, you're probably right, I know Eric did this one

I wonder who will build them now?
Well, after this discussion i had to ask Brad about my frame. He confirmed that Eric did indeed braze it. PHEW!

Moto

·
hispanic mechanic
2,696 Posts
What orange?

motoman711 said:
Thanks for your vote of confidence in my color picking skills. I am really quite curious how it is going to turn out.
What orange did you pick, and what color panels?
Molteni orange/ cream panels? Mmmmmmmm...
I came very close to that paint scheme before I decided on the baby blue.
" i know eric has made a lot of bikes for him but is no longer doing it...
WTF? Are you serious? That's too bad, but I'm glad I got one of the Eric Baar Wilys. Jeez, this is getting like bamboo fly rods...

the los

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yup, our Wily's should be numbered...I think we have some future classics on our hands :)

really though, I wonder who will weld the new ones? maybe they'll settle their differences in the end and keep making these beauts

either way, I wish Ground Up and Wily the best and hope they update their websites soon :cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.