Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have Extraterrestrials in 26x2.5 and 26x46 on an old Trek that I use mostly for pavement rides, with occasional ventures on gravel or hardpack singletrack.

Have been debating going to something newer for a little more comfort and disc brakes, and was looking at what the options might be for other larger volume tires intended mostly for off-trail use, with occasional ventures off-road.

Some of what I've seen so far:
  • New bike
    • Surly Extraterrestrial - 29x2.5
      • Just a bigger version of what I already have
      • Volume is OK, but I feel like bigger wouldn't hurt
    • Surly Knard - 29x3.0
      • Potentially more rolling resistance than the ETs?
    • Vee Speedster - 29x2.8
      • Looks interesting, but I've seen quite a few reviews complaining about small pebbles getting stuck in the indentations
    • Continental Ruban - 29x2.6
  • Existing bike w/ new fork
    • Vee Chicane - 26x3.5
      • Not sure if the side profile handle cornering as well as the ETs
      • Small improvement may not be worth the change
    • (Anything 26x4.0 or bigger)
      • Bigger chance of self-steer on pavement

· Registered
109 Posts
I run the vee speedster on the road 29x2.8 though at 25psi they are 3.25" at their widest. They ride like a caddy... Smooth as glass. Depending on rider weight, if the psi gets too low you'll get bounce over cracks and bumps, they act more balloon like. But there's still a fairly wide sweet spot. Roll over everything.
I don't have an issue with rocks or bits getting stuck in the tread. Front pressure too low will cause a slight pull in the turn, like a steering assist, it also fades away as the casing flash wears off.

Highly recommended street tire.

Also a big fan of the schwalbe big apple tire, they just don't make a 29+ size. Wish they did. The big apple has loads of grip in a heavy lean turn on pavement.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is comfort (via air volume) the main thing? Or is speed/lack of rolling resistance more important?
Good question -- the primary issue that I'm facing is that the rigid front end on my 26" (even with a Shockstop stem) has been feeling a bit rougher as I've been upping the mileage of my longer rides.

I'm not sure that my comfort problems can be solved just by increasing tire volume. When I go out for rides, I'm torn between the feeling of "I really wish I was on my Stache" vs. "it's nice to have something with a rack that I can mount a rear light to and carry half a gallon of water + snacks".

In terms of tread, I mainly need something that isn't going to get eaten up by pavement and enough speed to ensure that I can continue to keep pace with my kids as they get older.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also a kind of stupid reason for looking at tires with a tighter / faster rolling tread pattern: when I do ride pavement on my Stache, the Vee Bulldozers sound like a swarm of bees when I get up to speed.

· Candlestick Maker
3,823 Posts
Maybe the Panaracer Fat B Nimble 29x3.0? I have it on my Surly ECR, which gets a wide variety of usage (pavement, dirt MUT, gravel, and singletrack). It works well for that stuff, is reasonably comfortable, quiet, and has decent grip. I wouldn't wanna ride it in mud...

It does come in 26x4.0 and 27.5x3.5. I have zero experience with those sizes...

· This place needs an enema
17,704 Posts
Good question -- the primary issue that I'm facing is that the rigid front end on my 26" (even with a Shockstop stem) has been feeling a bit rougher as I've been upping the mileage of my longer rides.

I'm not sure that my comfort problems can be solved just by increasing tire volume. When I go out for rides, I'm torn between the feeling of "I really wish I was on my Stache" vs. "it's nice to have something with a rack that I can mount a rear light to and carry half a gallon of water + snacks".

In terms of tread, I mainly need something that isn't going to get eaten up by pavement and enough speed to ensure that I can continue to keep pace with my kids as they get older.

This may or may not be helpful, but a little bit of tread can add comfort via compliance. Clearly you don't need traction, but the added rubber from small knobs (think: Surly Knard) can add a subtle level of comfort.

It'll probably add some noise tho, too.

· Ride On
908 Posts
G-ones. I have the no longer made 27.5 x2.8 TLE which are shockingly good on pavement. However I have heard the heavier non TLE are close but I haven’t tried. The G-one is much faster than a 29x3.0 Knard in any bead or casing and the Knard is not bad on pavement.

· Rippin da fAt
11,978 Posts
G-ones. I have the no longer made 27.5 x2.8 TLE which are shockingly good on pavement. However I have heard the heavier non TLE are close but I haven’t tried. The G-one is much faster than a 29x3.0 Knard in any bead or casing and the Knard is not bad on pavement.
I too have a pair of G-Ones. They are freakin awesome fun to rail the streets with and they have micro 5-10 treads!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.