Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Jeremy,

I have seen a few different handlebar or stem-mounts for smart phones with GPS, ect. Be careful though, as the shock generated by MTB may permanently damage your phone. I have not seen one yet that will hold a phone securely and prevent, shock-induced damage.

Just don't want you to destroy a $700 smart phone.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am fairly new to mountain biking but I can give you advice on this. I would put it in a bag or somewhere else (I put mine in my Hydrapak, just like someone recommended in the earlier post).

I was biking with friends and a friend of mine and he had his in his bike, when he crashed he also cracked his phone screen. I use to do the same thing until I saw this and bought a cyclo computer and put the phone in my bag. I usually don't look at my phone until the very end of the day but if I really want to I can stop and pull it out. My cyclo computer tells me how many miles I'm doing real time.

Hope it helped a bit.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I have a Quad Lock mount for my commuter bike when I use my iPhone for navigation and it works very well. They also make a case for the Galaxy and there is also a "rain coat" available to go with the case. I can't comment on durability of a smart phone on a mountain bike as I use a Garmin for that purpose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I ride trails with my girlfriend we use these Trident S4 Kraken Cases. The rear of the case is modular (is that the right word) and can be changed out with a few different options. It comes with a kickstand, but when we ride we change them out to a handle bar mount. Its an awesome set up actually, the case is a bit more than both of use would normally use during the day but the case comes off fairly simply and the mount never leaves the ride.

*Forgot to mention, ours are for the Galaxy S4, but i would assume the same model is around somewhere for your monster sized Note 3

·
since 4/10/2009
35,258 Posts
the galaxy note is f'n enormous compared to most phones people put on their handlebars.

you want that thing on your bars?

I guess if you want your bike to look something like this, that's your prerogative, but seems ridiculous.

Electronic device Bicycle accessory Display device Technology Gadget

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
OP, this DIY looks purrfect!

Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Mode of transport Product

Consider this a shart appetizer for the on trail shiite entree that others will regularly serve. :eek:
(Since I'm unable to stay upright & kill cycle computers, my phone lives deep in a pack.)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
the galaxy note is f'n enormous compared to most phones people put on their handlebars.

you want that thing on your bars?

I guess if you want your bike to look something like this, that's your prerogative, but seems ridiculous.

View attachment 876637
Holy balls! I would some day prefer to mount a 32" flatscreen to me bars so I can keep up with my dvr'd Madmen episodes while I'm on my training rides.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Potential damage to the phone aside, your battery isn't going to last very long with the screen on full time running a tracking app. Put it in your pack and update your info when you stop, or get a cycling computer.

·
Banned
172 Posts
I put my Nokia 520 in my pack, turned off and use it only for emergencies or a take a nice picture.

I'd be afraid of running into something while looking down at the screen if it was in my face. Similar to people texting and driving.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I use my Note 2 on my bars...I have always used an Otterbox Defender on my phones due to the nature of my work, & my Note 2 has survived numerous 6-10ft drops onto concrete in this case with no damage. On my old bike I modified the belt clip which comes with the case to clamp to the bars, this didn't work on my new 31.6mm bars, so I picked up another belt clip & cable-tied it to the stem... Works a treat... Nice & stable & makes it easy to navigate areas I'm not familiar with... Especially as google maps satellite view shows trails that aren't mapped :p

Just the clip...

When I'm commuting (Yes, I use my trail bike for commuting) I use this app...

One final note (pun not intended :p ) make sure you use good quality cable ties, the kind that have a listed weight rating on them :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.