Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a 70 mile race today with abou 30 miles of gravel and my hands were really sore by the end of it. I was wearing some old PI gloves without much padding (dumb move). What is a good pair of gloves for gravel riding? And does is make sense to put an extra layer of bar tape on the top section of the handlebars?

Oh, and I got last in the race! I’m not what you would call an actual racer. Too old and too fat, but I like to get out there and at least try to finish.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I’m not a fan of padded gloves because they often can bunch up and get annoying whether they cause hot spots and blisters or they just get all sweaty and floppy. Giro dnd are my go to full handed gloves.
But things that make a huge difference on the gravel whip:
45mm front tire
Carbon bars
Fizik gel bar pads
A good wrap/tape job.

The problem with double wrapping is the inside foam will eventuallly compress and stop offering that extra Cush.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I use Fox moto full finger gloves. good coverage, flexibility but can get a bit warm. If youre riding the tops yeah doubling up the tape helps...
I love the Fox gloves too. The only real issue I have is when riding the hoods. The Cowchipper bars put the hoods at an angle and the edge of the brake hood contacts my hand instead of the top. I'm gonna try adding additional tap or some type of gel pad under the brake hood when I next wrap my bars.

·
Human Test Subject
1,428 Posts
Congrats on DFL!

I have long fingers so I appreciate a thick tape job (lizardskins 3.2) but I also combine it with specialized bar phat gel pads.

The drops are generally more forgiving than anything close to the stem, if your back can handle it.

Lately I've been using Cuero leather gloves. Not well padded but they look good and still smell nice.

Edit- I've tried fizik and planet bike gel pads. Specialized is my favorite.

·
Live Free & Ride
1,578 Posts
+1 on a bigger tire. I run a WTB Resolute 700 x 42 on the front @ 30- 35 psi. I run this thing on all surfaces - road, gravel, dirt - it performs well and the added cush is welcome when things get rough.

Still looking for a good pair of gel gloves - cut-off fingers for summer gravel though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Funny. I have some Specialized/Bontrager gloves I've been using. Forgot them/misplaced somewhere in the house and rode 2-3 rides without gloves. Didn't notice any issues at all. Found the gloves, first ride after finding them, had heat spots/rubbing at the base of my thumb. Went back to riding without and I'm fine.

The Specialized Grail gloves look interesting. I want some protection in case i take a spill, and they seem very minimal except for that strategically placed padding in one spot.

(I also have a Red Shift Shock Stop stem. But have not used any extra padding or wraps on the bars)

eric/fresno, ca.

·
asshole roadie
201 Posts
Every pair of padded gloves I've had have cut off circulation in my hands after about an hour. I'm to the point where if I come across a pair of full finger, unpadded gloves in my size when I'm at the shop, I'll buy them. They're getting harder and harder to find.

I'm a big fan of the MSW anti slip tape that came on my Cutthroat (on carbon Cowchippers, and 44mm tires, it's a comfy ride). Haven't had it very long, so I can't comment on how much it compresses over time. It might be overkill with the Fizik pads, though.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,787 Posts
yeah...I'd keep the thinner gloves and figure out a wrap for the bars instead, something
you can slide in place...maybe just a cut open silicone grip you can slap on like a foam c-clip ...super light so carrying them won't be noticed and will fatten up the bars nicely for alternate grip, and should stay in place enough to be tolerable

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gloves might be one of the last things on your shopping list, but a good, high-quality pair will do you right for season after season - particularly if you live somewhere where hunting is a big thing. When I have difficulties picking what gear I want I head over to places like huntingfishingplus.com in order to find something that I might like. Your gloves should fit snug but not constricting and should cover the end of your fingertips without much extra room. Gloves should fit your hand like a leather jacket fits your body-snug, but not super tight. You don't want too much room around your fingers, but you also want to be able to clench a fist comfortably-remember, the skin will stretch a little over time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
https://www.giordanacycling.com/men/summer/accessories/204/strada-gel-gloves

The Strada Gel Glove is designed for the cyclist who requires the maximum amount of padding between the hands and the handlebar. This extra level of padding offers a the maximum amount of vibration dampening benefits for riders who may prefer it. A great choice for longer days in the saddle, or rides that encounter rough terrain

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.