Registered
2,249 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

·
Black and Sticky
752 Posts
Rode AZT Picket Post last weekend for the first time. For some reason in 20 years of Phoenix area cycling, I never quite got around to doing PP before. To give you an idea of the ride, I rode from the trailhead to the overlook and back. That was about a 5 hour trip, which included maybe a quarter mile of hike a bike out of 20 miles total. The trail is a bit rough in places and there is some exposure along the way. I rode solo and decided afterward that next time I would take a riding partner because of the remoteness. But it is a spectacular ride, highly recommended based on your description of what you are looking for. Good luck and have fun!

Bob

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So playing around and planning out a couple rides for the upcoming weeks. Anyone here done Kentucky Camp to Sahuarita Rd? Looks right at 30 miles and mostly down hill. Anyone know of a shuttle service to get me from Sahuarita Rd to KC? Or maybe I can find a few others that want to ride it and we can shelf shuttle.

Rideplan: AZT KC to Sahuarita Rd | Trailforks

I'm also planning on doing the PP south ride too.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
So playing around and planning out a couple rides for the upcoming weeks. Anyone here done Kentucky Camp to Sahuarita Rd? Looks right at 30 miles and mostly down hill. Anyone know of a shuttle service to get me from Sahuarita Rd to KC? Or maybe I can find a few others that want to ride it and we can shelf shuttle.

This is a great ride. Not sure of shuttle options. hopefully someone else knows. Highly recommended. Also look at the AES Kentucky Camp route here. Kentucky Camp | Arizona Endurance Series (wordpress.com)

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,317 Posts

Take chongoman's recommendation, do the AES Kentucky Camp short route, 29 miles. No shuttle needed and the route is 100% rideable. The route you asked about has a few hike-a-bike bits mixed in there, plus the shuttle logistics are a pain. Do the short out-n-back to Kentucky Camp proper, water is available behind the building on the left, outside sink. It's about mile 15.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This is a great ride. Not sure of shuttle options. hopefully someone else knows. Highly recommended. Also look at the AES Kentucky Camp route here. Kentucky Camp | Arizona Endurance Series (wordpress.com)
Take chongoman's recommendation, do the AES Kentucky Camp short route, 29 miles. No shuttle needed and the route is 100% rideable. The route you asked about has a few hike-a-bike bits mixed in there, plus the shuttle logistics are a pain. Do the short out-n-back to Kentucky Camp proper, water is available behind the building on the left, outside sink. It's about mile 15.
Thanks for the recommendation guys. I now all those forest roads very well. I've hunted that area the last 3 years, and did lots of exploring in a truck. This last hunt, I spent a lot of time looking where the AZT came in and out of the roads, wanting to ride down there. Knowing that all those forest roads get really busy with the off road razor crowds on the weekends, I'll likely do this ride during the week.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Anyone want to join me in ridding this loop on the AZT Wednesday? I would feel better being 3 hours away from home and ridding if someone else was there.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well I decided to nut up and make the trip down to Kentucky Camp on my own. This has been my biggest ride, so taking this on solo I was a bit nervous.

The first 5 miles down the AZT took me an hour, at that point I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to complete this ride. But once I made it to Hwy 62, then down road 4064, I made up a ton of time. Made it up 163 to Kentucky Camp right at the two hour mark. Took a break, and knew I was going to make it from there on out.

I missed the turn off of Melandez Pass to AZT, so I just rode on the road back to Hwy 62. The first 5 miles going back became the best five. I was getting pretty beat, but not to the point of being out of control.

Like I said before, I know the area cause I hunt down there. However seeing it from my bike have me a whole new appreciation. I love it down there, and seeing only a handful of other people all day, made it even better.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts