Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone to plattekill a couple times last year and im going to mt creek this Tuesday. What other lift access mountains are there in NY and the surrounding states? Right now I know of whiteface, mt creek, plattekill, and mt snow any others?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
diablo and mt creek are the same thing. Blue mountain ny has no lift and sounds like xc, there is another blue mountain in ontario with lifts but thats alittle far. killington dosent sound to great from the reviews.

Any others?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Lift access mountain biking

Basically all of the large ski resorts now offer mountain biking (killington, stratton, whiteface, gore, mt.snow, hunter) and a number of the smaller to medium size resorts as well, like jiminy peak, west mountain, attitash, bretton woods and many others.

I don't know what your looking for or where your coming from, but just as with skiing the larger resorts are probably going to offer you a larger variety of trails/obstacles/features to ride, but most places have let local bike clubs and shops build the trails, plus you don't have to ride uphill so they are all a ton of fun.

THere is also a place in NH that just opened that is solely for mountain biking. I guess it was an old ski resort, and they decided to reopen it solely for mountain biking. It looks like it could be a lot of fun, and I'm really interested to see how well it works out, but here's the website http://www.highlandmountain.com/

Anyways if you check the website for any mountain by you it will tell you if they have lift accessed riding and if you are interested in recommendations, I know that West was a really fun place a couple of years ago (I just moved back to NY so I haven't ridden it in a couple of years) and I whiteface is amazing, but quite a drive if your down by the city.

If your up for a real drive you could always go to Rays http://www.raysmtb.com, but I would only recommend that in the winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Highland looks pretty good and so does rays if i got desperate for biking in the winter. For mountains i'm looking for ones that actual did some work to make it good for mtb and have dirtjumps, northshores, and some good downhill. Seems a lot of them didn't do anything and just decided to let bikes ride there like killington. There are so many mountains its hard to find the ones that are good. Whiteface is 3 hours from me im kinda by plattekill.
 

·
I wear two thongs
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
West mountain and Gore I beleive are not biking this summer. Hunter is great if you dont like crouds (unlike the ski season) I would say on any given weekend there are less than 20 riders on the mountain. Hunter offers guided tours down the mountain to show you where the good stuff is contrary to popular beleif the tours actually are quite enjoyable. They tell you for liability issues that you need to take a tour your first time down but it is not enforced and you can just ride down the mountain on your own and get as many rides in as possible. If you wanna see the kind of terrain Hunter offers check out my very amateur short 5 min video I made here:
 

·
I wear two thongs
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
CRDalmata said:
How many features are there are hunter, is it just that one freeride section, or is there a bunch of stuff, cause it looks like a good time.
Heres a link with pics of about 75% of the features there pretty much located in 3-4 continuous sections of woods, with some random features littered about other trails, covering about half of the mtns vertical in the main park.
http://www.huntermtn.com/summer_biking.html

http://www.huntermtn.com/summer_biking_photos.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,103 Posts
Eric Hoefer said:
West mountain and Gore I beleive are not biking this summer. Hunter is great if you dont like crouds (unlike the ski season) I would say on any given weekend there are less than 20 riders on the mountain. Hunter offers guided tours down the mountain to show you where the good stuff is contrary to popular beleif the tours actually are quite enjoyable. They tell you for liability issues that you need to take a tour your first time down but it is not enforced and you can just ride down the mountain on your own and get as many rides in as possible. If you wanna see the kind of terrain Hunter offers check out my very amateur short 5 min video I made here:
Gore closed last year when they tried to close Whiteface.
We had an online petition last year that saved Whiteface. Now we are having a big race, building tons of features and have big plans for the future. Also we are open 7 days a week this year till Labor Day. Then weekends only till Columbus Day on October 9th.

Check out these new pictures of our terrain park.
http://www.hcor.net/modules.php?set...name=Photos&file=index&include=view_album.php

Downhill Mike
www.whiteface.com
Size does matter!
 

·
I wear two thongs
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
Wow whiteface looks awesome! I rode there about 2 years ago but the gondola was closed due to high winds and the only thing that was open was the shuttle runs that go maybey a third of the way up the mountain. We had fun but wish we could of made it up top. Anywho I gotta get going I'm off to Hunter for the day.

I was sad to hear that gore wasnt going to be biking this summer, It is my favorite mountain in the winter to ski Ive been a season pass holder there for the last 4 years. I rode it a few times on my hardtail 2-3 seasons ago (everyone thought I was nuts) but I had a blast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,103 Posts
Eric Hoefer said:
Wow whiteface looks awesome! I rode there about 2 years ago but the gondola was closed due to high winds and the only thing that was open was the shuttle runs that go maybey a third of the way up the mountain. We had fun but wish we could of made it up top. Anywho I gotta get going I'm off to Hunter for the day.

I was sad to hear that gore wasnt going to be biking this summer, It is my favorite mountain in the winter to ski Ive been a season pass holder there for the last 4 years. I rode it a few times on my hardtail 2-3 seasons ago (everyone thought I was nuts) but I had a blast.
Yea it was too bad for Gore. They just didn't get that many riders, same as West.
I thought West Mountain was great except not much vertical.
Please come to Whiteface so we can remain open in the future. We do need more riders.

Downhill Mike
 

·
I wear two thongs
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
downhill mike said:
Yea it was too bad for Gore. They just didn't get that many riders, same as West.
I thought West Mountain was great except not much vertical.
Please come to Whiteface so we can remain open in the future. We do need more riders.

Downhill Mike
I usually make it to Whiteface once a year around late august when a few of my riding friends start going back to school up in Plattsburgh. The almost 3 hr drive from albany is rough on the way home when you're wiped its nice to be able to drive 30 min and crash in their dorms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should be going to whiteface this summer waiting for my bike which is comming this friday. Seems like diablo, whiteface, plattekill, mt snow, and maybe hunter are the good ones in the area.
 

·
I wear two thongs
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
Hunters a real hidden gem, not alot of bike traffic fun terrain for everyone and every weekend theyve been adding new freeride features. Its totally the complete opposite in the summer than it is in the winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds nice, my friends and I panned on going tomorrow but just noticed it's only open on weekends oh well, we plan to go up this Saturday now. Yeah hunter in the winter is bad too expensive and crowded I never go there.
 

·
I wear two thongs
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
max123 said:
Sounds nice, my friends and I panned on going tomorrow but just noticed it's only open on weekends oh well, we plan to go up this Saturday now. Yeah hunter in the winter is bad too expensive and crowded I never go there.
I'll be at hunter sat blue oakley jersey grey IronHorse bike white helmet with my younger brother on a blue Ibex Asta If ya notice me say hey.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top