Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know of some good light weight tires for technical riding {loose dirt, rocks, and roots}? for example conti. twister supersonics or explorer supersonics. nokian nbx light. those sort of tires. Also do they flat easy?

·
Don't touch me!
839 Posts
Some more choices:

How aboot 1.95 WTB EpicWolfs? As long as you're not in sloppy conditions you should be aiight. I've heard of some folk not happy with them(mainly the 2.1's), but I think those folks prefer higher volume/freeride-ish tires. Also check out the Schwalbe FastFreds(for H.P.) or Racing Ralphs(for G.C.); they both seem to be pretty popular too.

Just remember: The lighter the tire the easier they flat.

KIR,
Beer

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
My pick: Conti Explorer Supersonic for rear and Schwalb Racing Ralph up front. They both weight in around 470 gms which is about as low as you can go for a full-on all conditions tire set IMHO. I can't recommend the WTB Epic Wolf for a front tire. It doesn't hang up in sharp corners nearly as well as the Racing Ralph in my experience. Some people will probably stear you towards the Nokian NBX Lite. This tire developed a 1/4 inch gash on my second ride and others have had poor experience with it as well despite the fact that it's a fast rolling tire. Others love it and have had no problems so go figure...

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
ATM, my race combo of choice is a RRalph 2.1 up front, and a Conti Twister supersonic in the back, both with 1 scope of Stans and no rimstrips on ust rims. Have yet to have a flat since January after multi training rides and 6 races this season.

For less specialized trail riding but good all around light performance, I'm running a Jimmy Light in the back, with a Conti Explorer Pro up front. Run with light tubes on 317/vxc rims. Get flats here and there tho. I'm reeeeally getting to hate tubes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everone. I guess im going to try explorer supersonics in back and the racing ralphs up front

1 - 6 of 6 Posts