Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
50 states in my 50s
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm researching a new bike purchase. Two of my considerations are the 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 29 and the Camber Comp Carbon 29.

Both are a bit outside my price range though, so I am wondering what Specialized dealers in the area are known for not only providing deals on these bikes but are also good to work with.

I'm in the Louisville area so my LBS is Louisville Cyclery. I'll talk to them but I haven't had the best service experience there in the past...

Other options are:
The Sports Garage, Boulder
University Cycles, Boulder
The Fix, Boulder
Boulder Cycle Sport
Peak, Golden

Thx.
TheNormsk.

·
50 states in my 50s
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a side note, do you guys trust carbon frames with all the rocks we have here?

If I went for an aluminum frame it would be heavier but also cheaper. The next bike I get will probably be with me for the next 7 to 10 years so I want one that will last with a good frame/fork. After all, my Boulder is going on 16 years now (with a 7 year hiatus in the middle of that) and i think the next bike will have to last as long...

·
50 states in my 50s
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The British fork is still going strong. I'm not giving up on that. :) The rear shock gives me more grief these days. :(

However, I don't want my classic getting pulverized by the trails around here and I'll like something with more travel, a modern efficient suspension design and be more "trail" orientated. Looking for something in the 5 inch travel range than can still be ridden up hill and can blast things like SSV.

The Intense Tracer 29 looks good but is probably way outside my price range. What's my price range? I don't know! As cheap as possible so as not to annoy the wife... ;)

·
50 states in my 50s
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reconsider supporting SpecialEd: Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
Unfortunately Specialized is not the first, and will not be the last, manufacturer to pull crap like this.

Still it would not stop me from buying one of their bikes should I find one that works and is at the right price point for me. In this day and age of internet information if I wanted a particular product but could not get it in a store I would get it somewhere else (probably online and cheaper to boot).

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
Unfortunately Specialized is not the first, and will not be the last, manufacturer to pull crap like this.

Still it would not stop me from buying one of their bikes should I find one that works and is at the right price point for me. In this day and age of internet information if I wanted a particular product but could not get it in a store I would get it somewhere else (probably online and cheaper to boot).
Well... I tried. Go ahead and support the bastards, then.

·
Agent of tang
1,141 Posts
I like both University Bikes and Sports Garage, for different reasons. neither is likely to offer much of a deal. U Bikes provides good service, I get small adjustments done there very quickly (and it's super convenient for me as I work a block away, so that is probably the biggest reason I like them).

Between the two, I'd buy a nice bike from Sports Garage. U Bikes isn't a great mountain bike shop, and certainly not a high end mountain bike shop (even if you can get those from the shop). At Sports Garage, you'd get help and service from someone who actually knew the bikes in question. JMO, of course.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Well... I tried. Go ahead and support the bastards, then.
Yes, they suck donkey balls. They bullied Eric Parsons into changing his company name due to copy right infringement.... horrible business ethics, I refuse to buy any of their goods (although I do like their shoes).

If you want a carbon 29er there's the new Niner Jet 9 RDO, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ibis Ripley.... why support special ed?

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
Yes, they suck donkey balls. They bullied Eric Parsons into changing his company name due to copy right infringement.... horrible business ethics, I refuse to buy any of their goods (although I do like their shoes).

If you want a carbon 29er there's the new Niner Jet 9 RDO, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ibis Ripley.... why support special ed?
Don't forget the Anthem-X 29'er... I think the '12 season might have a carbon version.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Specialized = Designed obsolescence.

They put so much proprietary stuff on their bikes, you'll never find replacement parts after about two years when they've decided on a whole new batch of incompatible crap.

That being said, I like their shoes too.

·
Big Boned
1,535 Posts
Specialized = Designed obsolescence.

They put so much proprietary stuff on their bikes, you'll never find replacement parts after about two years when they've decided on a whole new batch of incompatible crap.
Simple fix for that: Just break the frame. Lifetime warranty!

I do hate that about many manufacturers. Cannondale, I'm looking your direction...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.