Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking about building a new set of wheels for this summer, not looking to empty the bank account either though. I am pretty convinced on some WTB KOM rims, I've always been a fan boy for WTB. Anyways just looking for some hubs that would go well with those rims? I want something strong and decent performing. I don't care to much about weight, and do like a loud click to my hubs (I know it's a personal thing). But strength and longevity is important. My budget would be probably within 400 or 500 at most. I've been looking a little at i9 hubs but that's a little more than I planned on spending. Appreciate any and all help, thanks!

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Anything wrong with just going with some Shimano XTs?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
I bought an XTR M998 front hub and a Saint M810 rear, about $200 for the two. Finish is the same on both, and it looks great. Spend the spare money to get solid axles, firms things up quite a bit (Might not be as noticeable if you're not a clyde like me).

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Agree on the Hope Pro 2 Evos...very good hubs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Any more info on these? So cheap it is almost scary!

And I'm definitely liking the look of those hopes, 80POE is nice and they aren't awfully expensive.
I am running Novatec 811/812 right now, got them for $85 on a pair on Amazon.

I don't have a long term report, but initial rides have been solid. They are well made, come with good bearings, and are easy to work on. I wouldn't compare them to Hope (yet, again we will see with long term testing) but you could save a bundle and there are replacement parts available from Bdop Cycling.

PS-pretty sure Hope is 40 poe on their multispeed hubs

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
So I've been thinking about building a new set of wheels for this summer, not looking to empty the bank account either though. I am pretty convinced on some WTB KOM rims, I've always been a fan boy for WTB. Anyways just looking for some hubs that would go well with those rims? I want something strong and decent performing. I don't care to much about weight, and do like a loud click to my hubs (I know it's a personal thing). But strength and longevity is important. My budget would be probably within 400 or 500 at most. I've been looking a little at i9 hubs but that's a little more than I planned on spending. Appreciate any and all help, thanks!
IMHO the slx shimanos are killers. And for the price its almost insane not to get a pair. fairly good amount of clicks, easily serviced. You can open up and regrease the bearings, set the tension etc.

I have seen the broken hubs thread but I question how often this happens considering how many of these are out there. Also really cheap. I got 2 sets that i haven't really built up yet. But I will do this winter. Mine have the steel non oversized axles. I believe the price was about a few sixpacks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have just bought those exact rims and was going to ask the same question..
My choices were Hope or i9 (I like the bright pink i9's)..
I'm still undecided but the Hopes for me are easier to get as I'm in the UK..
I couldn't use Novatec as they didn't have the axle's that I wanted, but have been told they are very good for the money.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anybody know if the hope pro 2 evos are convertable in the rear? I found a killer deal for a 135x10mm rear and I need a 142x12mm. This would be a rad deal if that works

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh man awesome!!! Well I may get this pair if there still around when I get my paycheck. Also about the SLX hubs and xt hubs mentioned I have heard nothing but horrible stuff. I had some xt's on my old bike and didn't much like them plus the poe was like 20 they are quite and break alot so I was hoping to stay away from them, even though they are cheap.

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
Yeah, and I use the Shimano M529 hub on a lot of builds. It's a great hub for the money but not high POE and it isn't convertible.

·
Just a flesh wound
2,369 Posts
I have a Velocity rear hub. It is the "Race". Very good hub for me. Probably 1,500 miles in rocky, rooty, wet New England. Replaced bearings once, very easy.

This hub sounds like a loud beehive when coasting. Spins great.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts