Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to shed a bit of the chub and keep an eye on it with a heart rate monitor. Any recommendations? Looking of course at the Polaris rage :)

Cheers

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
What's your price range? Personally I have Polar 725 and really love it, has a gazillon features and you can download the info to your computer and make cool graphs and monitor training etc. Only prob is this is a quite expensive HRM at around $300+ US, so it might be out of your price range.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
More detail on what you want/need would be nice.

If you are trying to lose weight I would certainly go with a computer that can estimate calorie expenditure. Personally I like the units that double as cyclecomputers so I have all my info (Distance Heart rate, Calories burned, Time, Climbing etc) in one place. Makes it easier to keep a training journal.

I like the Polar cs100. Does all the bike stuff and calories too. Only problem is its a bike specific unit so its hard to use it for non bike stuff. Can be had for less than 100 dollars. If money is not an issue something like the 720 is a great option. Another benifit of the polar line is that the transmitter is compatible with most cardio equipment at gyms. So you can use your transmitter, and see your heart rate and calories on the equipment display. The downside of polar is the company is a pain in the ass to deal with and is horribly slow to fix anything. My cs200 was not picking up the signal from the wheel magnet and has been gone for over a month for a waranty repair. It also took about three months for polor to ship that same computer once ordered from my LBS. I have a Polar A3 I think that I use that has been absolutly problem free for like 3 years.

Sigma is a popular alternative. I had one, and found it to be very user unfriendly. That was like 3 years ago so It may be better on the newer ones. The one I had could not display heart rate as a percentage of max. It only gave you a number in BPM. I just prefer to see 80% 90% etc. Makes life simpler.

Hope that helps.

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
Third vote for the Sigma. Great pricepoint, I've seriously considered getting one, though I noticed that my watch interfered with it (not important since i dont wear my watch when riding). If their HR monitors are anywhere near as tough as their computers, you will break before it will.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Stay away from the Sports Instruments HR monitors.

They seem to blank out and reset themselves for no reason. I sent mine back and they fixed it, but now my wife's HR monitor has the same problem.

·
FleshwoundGravityResearch
1,285 Posts
Poncharelli said:
Stay away from the Sports Instruments HR monitors.

They seem to blank out and reset themselves for no reason. I sent mine back and they fixed it, but now my wife's HR monitor has the same problem.
That's not good. Mine is fine so far, and I was actually going to recommend the Fit 3 as an inexpensive unit.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
mtn hack said:
That's not good. Mine is fine so far, and I was actually going to recommend the Fit 3 as an inexpensive unit.
You know, you get what you pay for. But for 40 bucks, it's still pretty damn good deal despite the warranty hassle. It worked for two years trouble free. When I mailed it in for warranty, it was back less than a week. Mine works fine now.

My wife's HR monitor has now gone completely blank. Maybe it just needs a new battery.

I'll report back after I replace her battery.

·
Registered
692 Posts
you can get an polar s150 for less than $75 online, even less if you go to nashbar today, 20% off sale ends today, so you can get it for $64. I just picked one up for the wife's bike.

I have the s725 and love it (when it works). Its back at polar under warranty due to a huge failure. First the HR would just disapear in the middle of a ride, then on my last ride I hit the go button and all of the buttons seized up, making the unit unusable. When the 725 works is the coolest thing ever - main reason I got it was for the altitude feature.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.