Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The grips on my bike is the original that came with the bike, the problem is everytime when I'm done riding my bike for the day, my right hand becomes like paralyzed, numb, and tingling that will last for days!:( Is there any good grip that I can change to prevent this happening again??

Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
My favorite are ODI Rogue Lock-On, I use the shorty version cuz I'm a twist shifter kinda' guy.

Your hand numbness could be a set-up issue rather then a choice of grip issue though. A couple things you could try tweeking are handlebar rise and tilt, also saddle tilt and height. Hand numbness can be caused by too much weight on your hands and tweeking your position can sometimes help. I have some occasional hand numbness/"falling asleep" issues but I attribute it to fortyitis moving into fiftyitis kind of stuff:rolleyes: .

·
Registered
286 Posts
RickC5 said:
Ergon GP-1 grips! If you have small hands, buy the women's-specific model.
+1 for Ergon... also try moving your seat forward to take the pressure off of your wrists. Even if you can scoot it forward a half inch it will make a difference.

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
ODI lock ons....specifically the Oury's. They are a little thick (cuz they're cushy) so if you have small hands, maybe it won't feel as good for you. I think most newbies would like this grip because it's the extra cush makes riding more comfortable. The rogue's and ruffians are much thinner (ruffians being super thin) than the Oury's and it seems more "seasoned" riders like those because they give more positive feedback through the bar. The Rogue is a good "tweener"....tackier grip and still pretty cush.

·
Never worng!
622 Posts
Grips are like saddles.
I have a box full of grips including the Odi Rogue Lock-ons which are good.
But my favorites are the Race Face Good n Evil grips and the ESI Silicone Chunky MTB Grips.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ricko said:
My favorite are ODI Rogue Lock-On, I use the shorty version cuz I'm a twist shifter kinda' guy.

Your hand numbness could be a set-up issue rather then a choice of grip issue though. A couple things you could try tweeking are handlebar rise and tilt, also saddle tilt and height. Hand numbness can be caused by too much weight on your hands and tweeking your position can sometimes help. I have some occasional hand numbness/"falling asleep" issues but I attribute it to fortyitis moving into fiftyitis kind of stuff:rolleyes: .
I tried that, my handlebar can only go so far and I've also adjusted my seat, still didn't help. I'm gonna go the to bike shop and do research in person for good quality grip and I know they're gonna be expensive but hope it's worth it.
I have written down some of the names and will take the list with me when I go to the bike shop.
Thanks for all those replies.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I like ODI Ruffian grips, been using them for years and they are the only grip I like on my bikes. Oh, and the lock on version of course....best thing to happen to grips since the advent of rubber.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Verewolf said:
Grips are like saddles.
I have a box full of grips including the Odi Rogue Lock-ons which are good.
But my favorites are the Race Face Good n Evil grips and the ESI Silicone Chunky MTB Grips.
I give a plus 1 for both the Race Face Good&Evil non lock-ons grips,and the Esi Chunkys grips

·
Registered
474 Posts
I had sore hands/wrists and used egron gp-1 grips and they stopped hurting the next ride. don't get a standard round grip because I am sure everyone here who is recommending them has never had a real hand problem. get the egrons and it will help. They do take a bit of messing around to get them at the just the right angle so be patient and play around with them.

·
ride the moment
1,062 Posts
I've used a few but the Oury are my favorite. Get the lock on for convenience. They are a little thicker but I like it. Super cushy and grippy. Also, do you ride with gloves? Some have nice pads in the palms which might help you. I opt for gloves without and Oury grips.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.