Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been looking to pick up some decent grease for general use around the bike. Not planning on using it to repack bearings or rebuild suspension, just looking for something to put on axles, grease contact points etc. I know Phil Wood and Park Tool offer bike-specific greases, but they cost much more than non bike-specific grease.

If possible, I wouldn't mind saving the money. Would something like this be acceptable?: https://www.amazon.com/QuickSilver-...marine+grease&qid=1565195741&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same price, but 3oz vs 8oz. Unless Phil Wood is really warranted, I would prefer to with something that is a bit less expensive for general use.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hi all,

I've been looking to pick up some decent grease for general use around the bike. Not planning on using it to repack bearings or rebuild suspension, just looking for something to put on axles, grease contact points etc. I know Phil Wood and Park Tool offer bike-specific greases, but they cost much more than non bike-specific grease.

If possible, I wouldn't mind saving the money. Would something like this be acceptable?: https://www.amazon.com/QuickSilver-...marine+grease&qid=1565195741&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Thanks for any advice.
Unless someone can up with a reason not to use this with a bike, I'm going to buy it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks for any advice.
I used to buy CV grease from Autozone for general use. It is black, nicely sticky, and fairly well retaining. When I moved to a wetter climate I switched to a lithium grease, also from autozone and use it instead.
https://www.amazon.com/Plews-Edelma...ithium+grease&qid=1565198820&s=gateway&sr=8-7

The CV general purpose grease is nice for seating bearing but is messy off the bike and attracts dust. Lithium seems a little better at retention in wet and seems to attract dirt less and is easier to clean up but isn't as sticky.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info and recommendations. It seems like the grease I linked fits the bill pretty well - NLGI type 2 and lithium based. If I were repacking bearings or rebuilding suspension I definitely would buy specific grease for those applications, however for general use on axles and to silence creaks it sounds like the grease I linked would do fine. Unless there is something in that grease that could cause damage to components or make it ridiculously hard to clean up then I think I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
buy a cheap tub of light-colored boat trailer grease. It doesn't get washed out quickly and you can see when it gets dirty. It is made for bearings that get submerged in water, hold several tons, and go at highway speed. I'm sure it can withstand bicycle duty.

Get a cheap grease gun to fill that in.

Of course, you can buy one of those magic bike greases for 100 times the cost. That is the very same grease, just re-labelled.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I use SRAM Butter (Slickoleum) for stuff that slides and basic blue Marine Grease from Home Depot for everything else. Theres no point in getting fancy grease for stuff that doesnt move, marine grease keeps out dirt and water just as well as high priced grease like Park Tool.

·
Registered
395 Posts
axles:

how often do you guys put the grease on? everytime, every other time, twice a year...?

do you guys put it on the whole axle or just the threaded bit at the end?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thanks for the info and recommendations. It seems like the grease I linked fits the bill pretty well - NLGI type 2 and lithium based. If I were repacking bearings or rebuilding suspension I definitely would buy specific grease for those applications, however for general use on axles and to silence creaks it sounds like the grease I linked would do fine. Unless there is something in that grease that could cause damage to components or make it ridiculously hard to clean up then I think I'll give it a shot.
This is exactly what I've been doing for a few years, but the big cheap tub of lithium grease is way more quantity than I've needed, and I will never use it all... so, I wish I just bought a nice small tube of bike specific grease in the first place, which is what I ended up doing when I needed to grease my suspension pivots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
CRC offers a pretty good all-round grease, available in both squeeze tube and gun tube.

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A5010 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
I just the basic Park grease. I can't remember how much I paid for it...but so far it's been like 5 or 6 years on the same tube and not running out any time soon. I also have a small tube of Slick Honey for when I do my fork seals. A small amount of grease lasts me a really long time.

axles:

how often do you guys put the grease on? everytime, every other time, twice a year...?

do you guys put it on the whole axle or just the threaded bit at the end?
I use a really small amount. I have a small brush (I use a flux brush) that I'll put a dab of grease on and brush a thin layer onto the shaft and a small amount on the threads. If it looks a bit dry...then I'll put another thin coat on.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
pm 600 military grease

It is what I have laying around and use for many applications. Had the tube since buying it to service RockShox forks a few years ago. I suspect its "seal" friendly since RS says to use in on their forks.

The Park stuff works fine too for a general purpose grease. A bit thinner.

Slick Honey specifically for suspension seals.

Anti-seize on most bolt/thread interfaces. Works a lot better than grease IMO.

All these are maybe a bit more $ but I've had the same tubes for years and anyone talking about a few dollars more on a tube of grease is over stating the issue. A $5 difference on a tube of grease, spread out over years... come on man. Compared to what you pay on other bike stuff its a non-issue.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As stated by Miker J, in the end the cost difference between Park Tool's stuff and the generic stuff is pretty small. I've decided to just go with Park Tool's stuff to be safe, though as far as I can tell the grease I linked doesn't pose any problems regarding use on bikes. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It isn't so much the brand name of the grease but how much you use. Too MUCH grease and/or on surfaces that don't rub against another just leads to a dirt trap. Too MUCH grease can also make moving parts slower. Too LITTLE grease can make parts seize.

I've been using wheel bearing grease. it was already on the work bench.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I just the basic Park grease. I can't remember how much I paid for it...but so far it's been like 5 or 6 years on the same tube and not running out any time soon.
Same here, but with Phil grease. 1 tube lasts forever even with 7 bikes in the family fleet.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I use Lucas Red & Tacky II that i also use for other stuff. I also have a tub of lithium grease when I need something thinner.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sylglide is about the same as Phil Wood, and about a dollar cheaper.

I've got tubes of both that date to the 90's. You don't go through them quick, might as well buy the bike specific stuff. I repack bearings once a year for the road bikes, twice a year for the non-road bikes. Four of each.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts