Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the magellan 400 explorist for christmas. When I loaded the maps it had no local roads. I have to spend more money on there map software. Their map software had an online demo on their web site. I could not find any local road in my area with that. Is there a better GPS I should exchange this for? It seems like the Garmin have more feature and are easier to use.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
forgot, one other thing

either way you go, magellin or garmin, don't get their bike mount - they suck.

Ram mounts hold the unit way better.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I've found the magellin topo data to be very detailed, at least for my area (and most everywhere I've ever been - only time I've been on roads not on the map was in Tahiti). It even shows my 30 foot long driveway.

I've used many GPS units (work related) and found the magellin meridan to be one of the easier ones to use, with more features than I ever use. Best thing about it, what makes magellin really rip the nuts off garmin, IMO is that magellin uses SD cards for memory, so you can have as much as you want, where garmin uses built-in (and not much at most price points at that). I use a spare 512MB card from my camera - I don't think you can even get half that in a garmin - I keep the continental US topo map loaded, where if i where limited to 24mb or whatever garmin has, I would have to change out map files for travel. Also, magellin GPSs are seriously waterproof (like IP x8) where I don't think all garmin units are (and they float).

Only think I don't like about mine is the serial interface cable - none of my computers have a serial port, so i have to use an adaptor.

It sucks that you have to buy the data seperately, but everyone seems to do the same. If you are in the market for a gps, I'd get the meridian gold "topo package" at thegpsstore.com includes the GPS, the topo software and a 64MB SD card.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Go for Garmin.

globewyre said:
I got the magellan 400 explorist for christmas. When I loaded the maps it had no local roads. I have to spend more money on there map software. Their map software had an online demo on their web site. I could not find any local road in my area with that. Is there a better GPS I should exchange this for? It seems like the Garmin have more feature and are easier to use.
In any case you'll have to buy some extra software for local maps. I tried both and Garmin has a specific 24k maps you can buy separately, very detailed. You can buy the one you need pretty cheap on eBay (maybe $80).

I find the interface of the Magellan eXplorist very hard to use and user unfriendly :mad:. I tried and used eXplorist 500, 600 and xL.

Plus with Garmin you can use several online mapping and trainin tools like Motionbased and Singletrackmind that only work with Garmin.
Every company has their own propietary map format, so once you pick one you'll stick with them. Garmin seems to be licensing their format around so you see some companies coming up with maps and stuff for Garmin.
I had Magellan for over 8 years now, but I'm going to switch now, mainly because of much more flexibility in choosing the info on the screens and online tool compatibility.

If you want color screen you can get Etrex Legend C or Vista C for between $200 and $250. You can spend a lot less for B/W.
Hope this hepls.
ZT

·
Registered
508 Posts
Joules said:
Best thing about it, what makes magellin really rip the nuts off garmin, IMO is that magellin uses SD cards for memory, so you can have as much as you want, where garmin uses built-in (and not much at most price points at that).
Garmin has a new unit out called the eTrex Vista Cx which contains a removable SD card. It is extremely slick and comes with their new Sirf antenna that is factors more reliable than the older one, or so I'm told (haven't actually used it yet).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Map Details

You may have the info in your GPS'r, however, my Maggie Meridian Platinum has an option of turning on & off certain map detail data. Maybe you need to check this setting?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Take a look at the new Garmin Edge 305, I just ordered one after a week of deciding.

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Just an update on my previous post.
I finally got the Etrex Vista Cx, and I have to say it rocks, It's extremely compact and lightweight and packs so many features I can't believe.
I was thinking about the edge 305, but for a little more price and size you get a lot more.
I mainly do XC, so for me mapping was important - I really hate to get lost in the woods or in the desert. The last bit - very sweet for me - is that Garmin announced support for Mac OS-X and already put out a beta. At the same time Motionbased (which is now owned by Garmin) made the same thing (although limited to the Edge for now).
The only ting I'm missing is the racing feature (being able to race agains yourself, that the Edge 305 has) and the HR monitor log - but I can live without those.
The Motion Based site is great. I'm going to test how the new antenna and chipset works in the woods (they said that was really improved)
ZT

·
Registered
508 Posts
Zen_Turtle said:
I'm going to test how the new antenna and chipset works in the woods (they said that was really improved)
ZT
Thanks for the post. That said, the Vista Cx doesn't have the new Sirf antenna that the Edge has. I really think Garmin got that one ass backward. The Sirf would be much better suited for the Cx than for the Edge units. Do you mind telling us how much you paid and where you got it? I'm seeing eBay prices in the neighborhood of $300, inclusive of shipping.

·
right behind ya
183 Posts
KINBOY said:
Ya not too great for mapping but you can post points and load in routes to the unit. No onscreen map but it will lead you, for a bike its great especially in the woods!

Here is the drive around town setting it up.
I have the HR just didnt have it on driving, would be funny though!

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/...&unitSystemPkValue=1&episodePk.pkValue=522598
Are you happy with the purchase (Garmin 305)? So on the fense regarding purchase. Have computer that works fine but seeking a bit more like altimter, etc. Looks cool

·
Registered
487 Posts
Its great, I am so glad I made the purchase. Its great because I am selling my old Computers from both other bikes, making training easier to track (I used to input it manually into the computer).

The amount of data is awesome, I am also supplying a lionk to friends to look at my logs and keep track of my training, deal is if I dip below 250km per week in any week, I buy the beer for poker night that week!
It will surely keep me on the bike!
If you have any specific questions, feel free to write me

Kin

·
right behind ya
183 Posts
KINBOY said:
Its great, I am so glad I made the purchase. Its great because I am selling my old Computers from both other bikes, making training easier to track (I used to input it manually into the computer).

The amount of data is awesome, I am also supplying a lionk to friends to look at my logs and keep track of my training, deal is if I dip below 250km per week in any week, I buy the beer for poker night that week!
It will surely keep me on the bike!
If you have any specific questions, feel free to write me

Kin
250! that's big. Sounds like with that distance logged/week you may be on road? These days I luck to get in 75 miles on trails. Perhaps wrong assumption but if not here goes, I have a Thomson X-4 90 on my mtn bike and wanted to mount it on my stem (v. handlebars).

I know you can place on either but any thoughts if it will fit on that stem length/design

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well My stem is 5" and the stem is 4" and it fits pervect. I have a riser bar with a cross beam and I am hoping that it gives it a bit of protection as well.

Here is a pic as how it fits.

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
As for the Km's I do about 150 a week road and the rest off road. I have lots of spare time and I spend nost of it on the bike.

Also you get a bar mount with the 305 and its going on the road bike, its a great buy, really there is nothing more that you can ask for!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thanks, its a bit old school, but works amazing, and its fast!

8 Speed and XTR/XT And the Noleen ROCKS!

PS, Anyone have a rear spin wheel or even an internal (just the hub)?

I have a front already and a rear with a busted internals....Broken axle...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Edge 305

From what I've seen the Edge 305 will be the most appropriate GPS for my needs. My question is what other items will be required to maximize the features of the 305 with my training and my Apple computer? Am I going to need to invest an additional $100 in some silly software to view the maps and track my previous rides, or will I have sufficient resources with the 305 unit and the included software/accessories?

by the way, i plan to buy from REI since they have such fantastic support for anything purchased. If it is not what I expect, I'll just return it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
There are 2 things that come with the unit. The Traingin Center, which seems like a good traingin and storage and data manipulation tool. The second you have to get is Motion based. It is a more detailed tool and maps rides and such for you, there is a basic (free) and an upgrade (about $7US I think a month) which allows unlimited storage and other analysis.
I am not sure about the mac thing though, I am a PC user and have heard mixed things.

Here is a link to the forum that I use about the Garmin 305 and feel free to email me about it at [email protected] I have answered a lot fo questions and I did a lot of research about the unit before I committed to buying it. http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?board=55.0

KIN

1 - 20 of 54 Posts