Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight is shaping up to be a good evening to night ride with the change of seasons, good weather and a wicked moon.

https://gizmodo.com/5645030/watch-the-super-harvest-moon-today

Prepare for the Super Harvest Moon! For the first time in two decades, the Sun will sink as the full Moon rises exactly opposite to it on the day the summer ends, creating in a strange 360-degree twilight show.

If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, today is the autumnal equinox and a Super Harvest Moon will cross the sky after almost 20 years since the last time it happened. When the Sun starts to set on the Western horizon, a full moon will rise opposite to it on the East, reflecting the light of our home star.

Being close to the horizon, the orange Moon will be gigantic thanks to a psychological effect called the Moon illusion. The sky will be illuminated by the Sun and the Moon at the same time, creating a weird 360-degree effect that is rarely seen.

You don't need to do anything special to enjoy the show, just get ready for the sunset. Make sure to have a clear view to both East and West.

In NYC, the event will happen at 6:54pm. You can check the time in your city here.

And as an added bonus, when the summer ends at 11:09pm Eastern Time, Jupiter will appear right next to the Moon.

·
my body breaks the falls
1,457 Posts
Thanks for the additional insights into what's happening this evening. This will add a nice element to my ride up and around Mission Peak where I expect a number of hikers will be moon-gazing tonight.

·
pro leisure tour
773 Posts
Moon rise on a full moon always occurs at sunset. That's why it's full. Guess it's the first time in twenty years that happened on the Autumnal Equinox.

That means you should go for a ride tonight. Definitely. :thumbsup:

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,239 Posts
and in an even more rare convergence of events, Half Moon Bay is gonna be clear tonight, too... :p Yay!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I got a quick run up into the headlands in time to catch the very end of the sunset and the moonrise. Super beautiful sunset over Rodeo Beach and big enough moon to run back to the car with no lights. Sick!

·
loopy counter
869 Posts
The Harvest Moon from Coe

I took the afternoon off to ride (yay!). My intent was to reach the top of Willson Ridge right at moonrise. But as it turned out, I lingered too long and when I checked my watch I was 2 miles away with 15 minutes left. So I booked it, and made it to the base of Willson Ridge just at the right time. This turned out okay, since I had to drop down into the Vasquez Hole to frame the moon right above the horizon.

This is ten minutes after moonrise from Vasquez Road. "Harvest Moon over Vasquez Peak"

It was not exactly warm, and I had a thousand (+/-) feet of descending to go. But before the plunge down Lyman Willson Trail, I turned around to look, and was rewarded with this view. "Harvest Moon over Bowl Trail"

·
loopy counter
869 Posts
TahoeBC said:
About what time was that Knobs?, as I'm gonna try to get out there Friday night for a ride.
Moonrise was at 6:30, but I actually couldn't see it through the haze until it got a little higher, 5 minutes later. The photo of course was taken with a high horizon, so that was 10-15 minutes after moonrise, as I descended into the Dormida. Of course, tonight and friday nights moonrise will be 25, 50 (or so) minutes later, so what I just told you will be completely useless. But I do think you should drag a full frame camera and a 600mm lens up Jackson and record the moment. There's also an nightriders overnighter going out of HH, Friday eve.

sparkyJay said:
We were all saying "tonight" in yesterdays posts but it's really tonight, as in Thursday. See you out there.
Equinox was last night at 11:09PM EDT. Full Moon is Thursday at 5:17AM EDT. So you are both incorrect and correct.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The moon rise and sunset will be even closer together today (Thursday) in San Jose. (The times vary by latitude).
Sep 23 Moon rise: 6:56pm and Sun set: 7:03pm. What about another TNGR ride to enjoy this spectacle? 5:30pm at Hwy 9/35.

·
pro leisure tour
773 Posts
knobs said:
Equinox was last night at 11:09PM EDT. Full Moon is Thursday at 5:17AM EDT.
Thanks knobs. Some places had this on the same day, not us. UTC...PDT...EDT...It is all so confusing.
"Does anybody know really know what time it is?" (Robert Lamm, Chicago, 1969 Chicago Transit Authority)

I know! I'll just go for a ride and soak it all in. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts