Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a wheel set from a CL seller today. Front hub just says Gary Fisher. It is fatter than most hubs I ever see. Soft rubber gaskets on both sides. 14 spokes/side laced to a Maverick rim. The spokes go straight out and don't cross. What's that called? Says A-SYM, (on the rear rim sticker) "Designed by Keith Bontrager". Rim is drilled Presta and is a dedicated front. Dark gun gray ano and one inch width.

Rear hub is a Shimano STX RC BS, (or "8S"). Cassette is Shimano "Hyper Glide C" 8 speed. 16 spokes/side cross to the matching Maverick dedicated rear rim. Tires are WTB Velocie Raptors with excellent tread. It's all really clean except for bird poop. They sat in a garage. Guy said his son had them as spares and left them with him - then the bike the parts were for got RO. :madmax: I took them to the coin car wash and they blasted clean and look sharp.

On those hubs? The front feels kind of grumbly when I spin it on my hand. Are the Fishers user serviceable? And the rear - does anyone know if that's a threaded cassette? I don't think I have the tool to take it off and look see. I'm hoping I can get a Suntour cassette on there so I can mount the wheels on my 85 Ross Mount Hood. Is an 8 speed hub just nohow, noway going to fit into chain stays that are spaced for 6? It's funny, you learn new stuff about bikes everyday. Thanks in advance for comments!

Oh, $50 bucks.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
yikes had a set of those on a gary fisher big sur. bike was a 99 or 98. i do believe it was a 8speed cassette on the back with stx rc hub. front was radially laced like you describe. green hub with the fisher name on it and a fat qr skewer lever. maverick rims too. front hub was shot when i got them. i think the front hub is a cartridge hub not sure. dont have the bike or wheels anymore. you might be able to fit the wheels in the ross. measure the frame width i would say average deal. not bad but not good either

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, so far so good. That STX RC 8 speed hub is 130mm and the Ross frame is 126mm so I can get the hub in there with just a small amount of prying open. Did it by hand. Plenty of play in the stops on the rear derailleur - just had to open it a bit to get to the chain to climb to the large cog.

Good old Sheldon! 1/2 an hour at his site and I know way more about things. The world is a poorer place without him but he sure left some word behind. Shimano STX is a free hub design. His article on frame spacing is great, When he says you can get away with a 126mm frame space opening and a 130mm hub he means it. The Hyper Glide cogs seem to mesh with my chain and I can't see any chain length issues, but I have not actually tried to ride yet so I don't know exactly how the chain and the cassette are going to play together under tension. Still don't know too much about the Gary Fisher front hub but it can't be too hard to service - can it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts