Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the below hardtail. Is $1,800 a good deal? It is a 2002 i believe.

Total specs:

Frame: Dean Scout titanium hardtail, "large" per Dean sizing. Full frame specs at Dean's website.
Fork: Manitou Skareb Elite, 100mm fixed travel, air spring, disc & V-brake mounts
Headset: 1 1/8" threadless WTB Momentum, cartridge bearing
Stem: Easton EA50, 0 x 110mm, 2-bolt faceplate
Handlebar: Easton EA70, 3 degree bend
Grips: Yeti
Brake levers: Avid Speed Dial 7
Shifters: Shimano XT 9-spd
Seatpost: Easton EA50, uncut (I think it's 350mm, not sure)
Seat: WTB SST K (kevlar corners)
Seat binder: collar + bolt
Brakes: Avid SD7 V-brakes, Avid brake pads w/ removable/replacable cartridges.
Derailleurs: Shimano XT 9-spd
Cassette: Shimano XT, 12-32 (I think -- might be 12-34, but I'm pretty sure it's 12-32)
Chain: SRAM PC58 w/ powerlink (I think -- might be PC59, but definitely SRAM)
Wheels: 26" Bontrager Race X Lite UST-ready rims, DT 15/17 spokes, DT 240 cartridge hubs (relabeled for Bontrager), radial lace front, 2X rear (I think -- may be 3X), Bontrager skewers
Tires: IRC Serac XC 26x2.1 tubeless, with some Stan's sealant in there too
Cranks: Truvativ Stylo, ISIS, Truvativ chainrings
Bottom bracket: Race Face ISIS, can't remember which model

Misc: Lizard Skins chainstay protector, spiffy water bottle cage, Wellgo-type clipless pedals. I'd probably keep the pedals & cage off the bike, unless you really want them.

I haven't weighed the whole bike recently, but before those wheels, it was low-23lb. The wheels are new from last year, and very very light. There are no dents, dings, or cracks anywhere. Only very minor scratches on some of the frame and handlebar. The wearable parts are all in good shape: brake pads & chain were replaced last year, and I keep my bikes clean, so the chainrings and cassette are in great shape. It's all ready to go, nothing needs any work or adjustment.

·
Banned
462 Posts
The frame is $1500 retail which probably means it sells for for half on ebay.

So are looking at a $800 frame coupled with $1000 worth of parts?
Judging by the list of components, I personally wouldn't think it was a good deal. Rim wheels/brakes don't cry high end for me. For that kind of money you should be looking at high end disc wheels, Juicy 7 level brakes, and a race fork.

That bike is worth about $1000 IMHO

·
Registered
233 Posts
Is it disk ready? If the bike fit like a glove I would consider it. You could keep that bike for a VEEEEERY long time and just upgrade what you wanted. If the fit was somewhat off I would look elsewhere. I do not think it is a great deal in general but if it fits really well it would be worth considering. Remember too that a lot of that light weight is because of the lack of disk brakes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it is fully disc ready... aside from the hubs anyway. I think if i do get it that would be my first upgrade (a front disc). Also, i have not fit this specific bike (its a long way from here), but others of the same size fit perfect. I am definately about 50/50 on it right now. Hoping you guys will push me one way or the other.

·
Banned
462 Posts

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
Corleone is right about it essentially being a lifetime frame. These are not that easy to come by either-you can get them but they are not that common so you have to add in the uniqueness factor. The build looks OK. I would say it is not a killer deal but it is not a bad deal either. I love my Colonel and it's worth to me is much more than what I could get for it.

BTW you can't compare an Airborne frame to a Dean. Yes they are both Ti but once you see the Dean welds compared to the Airborne you will see what I mean. Not ripping on Airborne but the quality is no where near Dean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.