·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Dawgwalker
209 Posts
29er Steel or Ti

My first 29er was a Karate Monkey which prompted me to buy a Dean Colonel 29er. I continue to ride both bikes. The KM is rigid, cable disc, and Mavic SpeedCity wheels. I tend to treat it like a hybrid. I love the Dean and ti but it's really tough to justify the difference between the Surly $400 and Dean $2400.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I can't speak about the steel frame On One other than I know of a couple of guys who ride them and give them good reports.

I opted for the On One Scandal 29er and am liking it very much.

Flyn G

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
On One frames are fantastic, period. I have both a Scandal and Inbred and love them both. Note that while the ride of the Inbred is fantastic, there are other reason that IMHO make it a superior SS frame to others....EBBs and sliding dropouts are stewpid and the Inbred is superior in its design, period, especially with the disc tabs on the inside of the stays thus addressing the whiners comments about removing rear wheels with horizontals

The steel forks however may not be available any time soon as I dont think there are plans for any more but of course defer to Brant...I just put the carbon version on my Inbred and love it...while i have zero data to back it up, it is somewhere between a Pace carbon and On One steel in terms of how much it "moves" ...the Pace was scary girly in terms of how much flex I could actually see...the On One carbon just feels (and looks) more robust which I like.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
agree...lots of tire clearance. the only comment i would make is that with the stoopid 2009 XTr front der, with too large a rear tire you actually get front der rub if you try to set up the front der correctly...not at all an issue with frame clearance, just lame front der. as such, i resorted to putting a nano out back instead of the racing ralph 2.4 which was my original plan for the scandal

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
The first edition steel one was "lively" but quick to me. The Scandal, which I get to ride once in a while, feels quite "dead". More dead than a Fisher aluminum, and it's ot just all speed per se.
They are mid-end quality frames, going through a short distribution channel, so not paying too much is part of the deal.
I think the complete bike for that wheelset was at one point GBP499, not sure that makes the frameset a deal today. You're not being ripped off at least. I preferred the old style slider dropouts.

I would say only get it if you ride buff tight singletrack. It will of course roll anything, but its geometry is in one distinct corner of the spectrum, as ca 2004 was required to make an impact i Britain, make it handle surprisingly quick. Today's 29" bikes, are allowed to offer their inherent stability, and handle less nervous.
OO geometry still works ace on our Dutch singletrack, where corners are left-right all the time. No real bumps or spectacular DH's.
If you would ever put a susser in it, consider a 100mm one with ~43-47mm offset tops. There's only so much quickness a bike has a use for, and this one is just maxed out now. I think I get to say something about it, as I came up with the dubious plan to make it this quick. I did not think about US riding at the time, just British bike journalists and 26" hold-outs whining slow handling.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I love mine, run it both rigid (with the on-one steel fork) and with a front suspension fork. I dont think its too quick at all, it feels very stable and is butter smooth.

I would jump on it for that price, you are getting a GREAT bike and a great price, you will love it for a lifetime!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I love my inbred it has worked great for me no matter how I have it outfitted. The rear stays and brake mount works fantastic on the newer ones.

I also bought mine from unreal cycles they were great to order from and I got it in 2 days from the other side of the country. Also if you feel more comfortable just call unreal cycles and order it without doing the ebay thing. Thats what I did and he honored the ebay price and shipped it fast.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i have a gary fisher rig, and my brother built up a rigid inbred. on my first ride on his bike i was totally sold on steel. the inbred is AWESOME.

luckily my frame is being warrantied for a big crack in the CS and i am getting it replaced with the ferrous...steel is nice

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Cloxxki said:
blahblahblah.
Mein gott - Cloxxki - you are writing some complete gumph there. The ScandAL is a great frame and will ride well most anywhere. It really does soak up the miles for the cross-country expeds and I've got a little 'rad' on it too - all good stuff. Far more compliant as a frame than it should be.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
TooTallUK said:
Mein gott - Cloxxki - you are writing some complete gumph there. The ScandAL is a great frame and will ride well most anywhere. It really does soak up the miles for the cross-country expeds and I've got a little 'rad' on it too - all good stuff. Far more compliant as a frame than it should be.
agree 100%...my newly built up Scandal is by far the fastest bike i have ever been on....and smokes on the descents far better than a bike with 80mm front fork should. I MUCH prefer the Scandal over the Ninerbikes scandium One 9 for many reasons

but what do we know...the Gnar of the Gnetherlands is just so unique

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
That explains something. I always wondered why on earth you needed forks with more rake (than 38 mm Reba) since my Scandal with that combination handles so well. Dead handling frame? Make it as dead as can be, I don't need any compliance except what the tires will give me.
I hate wheel flop and is that not what a slow head angled "modern" frame with 51 mm raked fork will give you? Foot clearance can be ***'d.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.