Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I was riding my bike home from the gym, stopped at the light at McKellips\Power. This is a photo-radar intersection, one of the worst in Mesa for accidents. I stood for a full red light on the curb waiting to cross in the crosswalk when the light changed. When I started riding, a car pulled in front of me into the 2nd lane to turn right. So, they saw me enough to not turn right into me, instead choosing to run me over 10 feet further into the road. I threw the bird, cursed so loudly that I got the attention of several drivers who had their windows open. As usual, nothing I could do but crap my pants, and the driver never even looked up.

Anywho, today I called the Mesa PD traffic div and asked if they could spot the violation on the photo radar. The officer (tech?) worked with me for about 10 min reviewing the film, and while he could not find anything, I wanted to shout out to him for spending the time.

I'm going to try harder to call in incidents like this when there are good odds I can make something happen. I know of nothing else we can do to protect ourselves and not be in violation of the law. A month ago a similar thing happened and the driver parked and went into a store...that should be a situation where I should have hung out and called the police.

·
Registered
350 Posts
This is good reason for helmet cams. You could have captured the whole incident as well and license plate. Is this what society has come to. Record everything or else it's your word against theirs. :madman:

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
Big Brother for the little man. And I thought it would only lead to oppression! Catching idiot drivers sounds like liberation! Bike is Peace.

Hopefully there wont' be a next time but.....better luck next time.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
chollaball said:
I stood for a full red light on the curb waiting to cross in the crosswalk when the light changed. When I started riding, a car pulled in front of me into the 2nd lane to turn right.
I don't know the intersection and maybe I don't understand the issue, but I think you would be a lot safer in the middle of the right hand lane directly in front of the cars while the light is red. Continue across when the light turns green. Sitting at the curb is asking for someone to turn in front of you which can be very deadly. Just pretend you are riding a really slow motorcycle and make yourself seen.

I'm glad the cops were helpful.

Be safe out there.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Enel said:
I don't know the intersection and maybe I don't understand the issue, but I think you would be a lot safer in the middle of the right hand lane directly in front of the cars while the light is red. Continue across when the light turns green. Sitting at the curb is asking for someone to turn in front of you which can be very deadly. Just pretend you are riding a really slow motorcycle and make yourself seen.

I'm glad the cops were helpful.

Be safe out there.
The problem is if you sit in the right lane, then you block all cars who want to turn right on red. its kinda a jerk move on a bike or in a car, and I don't want to sit in front of a car with an aggro driver right behind me. In those situations, I typically hang about half a car-length back in the bike lane or sit on the sidewalk. I watch the cars creep into a right hand turn as the signal change is approaching, and either make sure i have eye contact with the driver or just let them turn right rather than play chicken. In this case, the driver came up behind me after I was 2 cranks into the intersection and just tried to race ahead of me. Go figure, here the safest thing would have been act like a car in the right lane like you suggest and ignore the bike lane and sidewalk.

Almost getting hit sucks, but at least if someone sees you and learns from the mistake you feel a little better about it. Feeling like you are helpless and the driver sails on in ignorance after nearly killing you is the worst part for me - makes me want to throw a rock or shoot at the car, but now you are starting a fight with someone in a 2 ton car (not to mention assaulting them). It feels kinda pointless calling this into the police, but I dont know any other constructive approach. I really appreciated that the officer I spoke with took my call seriously.

·
livin' the dream......
1,967 Posts
I just started road riding and am curious about using left turn lanes. Do you guys swing over from the bike lane to a left turn lane when it is clear, or do you cross in the cross walks like a pedestrian?

I did my first "real" road ride yesterday and and used the turn lane at a small intersection, but did the cross walk thing at a crowded major intersection. Just trying to be safe, and not break any traffic rules. Thanks!

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I use the left turn lane just like a car but I also try to be realistic. I'm not too crazy about hanging out in the middle of a whole line of cars. If it looks risky I'll just do the crosswalk thing and get through on the next light. As for riding defensively, I constantly practice reading and memorizing license plate #'s of cars passing by. I started that after my first egging incident. Those a$$holes got away but the second group got busted...

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kenbentit said:
I use the left turn lane just like a car but I also try to be realistic. I'm not too crazy about hanging out in the middle of a whole line of cars. If it looks risky I'll just do the crosswalk thing and get through on the next light. As for riding defensively, I constantly practice reading and memorizing license plate #'s of cars passing by. I started that after my first egging incident. Those a$$holes got away but the second group got busted...
yup pretty much what Ken said about left turns - if i can get there in flow and there is a dedicated turning lane, but this intersection is busy and I could not get across 3 lanes of traffic. There are pros and cons to how you approach intersections as this story shows. Its always better imo to be active instead of reactive, but you cant do an effing thing sometimes.

·