Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"Why I oughta..."
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Niner package (which would include wheels, fork and frame) and then noticed an article on Carver, and then another post on another frame, and another...

I want to build up a 29" SS for building up my endurance and climbing. I currently have an underused Schwinn Moab disc that was converted to SS some time ago for this purpose, and I got the SS bug. Now I need a new project.

My main ride currently is a Intense Tracer (high end parts due to many crashes, replacements etc.)

Any suggestions on SS 29" frames?

here it comes...!

PS - I am probably going over to The Path to bug the staff on this as well.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Buy a Fisher Rig and be happy. Same geometry as the Niner (or othre way around), just taller BB mainly. If it's just the frame you're after, you may find those (slightly) used, or sell off the parts you don't need from the bike. If you don't need suspension, sell or trade the fork for a rigid one and have $200 cash in hand. Cheapest frame+fork is probably the Surly Karate Monkey, next the Soma Juice frame. Maybe Flyte Celcius. All aorund the $400 mark. Complete Rig is around $1000.

Hope this helps!

J

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
boboso said:
I was looking at the Niner package (which would include wheels, fork and frame) and then noticed an article on Carver, and then another post on another frame, and another...

I want to build up a 29" SS for building up my endurance and climbing. I currently have an underused Schwinn Moab disc that was converted to SS some time ago for this purpose, and I got the SS bug. Now I need a new project.

My main ride currently is a Intense Tracer (high end parts due to many crashes, replacements etc.)

Any suggestions on SS 29" frames?

here it comes...!

PS - I am probably going over to The Path to bug the staff on this as well.
It depends on what your idea of "cheap" is.

I can personally recommend the One Niner, but there are many other frames out there as well.

Can you be more specific in what you want / need?

R.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
NoMud said:
How would the On-one 29er compare to the Rig for a first 29er? Needs to be raceable.
Just like pears to apples.
EBB vs sliders. Alu vs steel. Not super heavy vs not super light.

I'd like to see a non-raceable 29"er, it's been a while.

·
Just give me hardpack
99 Posts
I've never understood what that actually means.
Fair point :) I guess I was fishing for a comment to say that your bike is slow because it's 'heavier, steel, geometry not right, never been on a podium', etc. And you're right that none of the above will affect me in any way.

Unfortunately can't testride either, so have no idea what I'll prefer. (or for that matter what size I should choose) And have to order by tonight! ;-)

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
NoMud said:
Fair point :) I guess I was fishing for a comment to say that your bike is slow because it's 'heavier, steel, geometry not right, never been on a podium', etc. And you're right that none of the above will affect me in any way.

Unfortunately can't testride either, so have no idea what I'll prefer. (or for that matter what size I should choose) And have to order by tonight! ;-)
I recently bought a KM, you know, that HEAVY PIG of a 29er. Sure feels dang light when I'm riding it. Come to think of it, it also feels kinda light when I have to pick it up. Given that the On-one is slightly lighter than the KM, I think you'd be happy with it. Depends what you compare it to, I guess.

One more thing - after getting back on a steel frame for the first time since '99, I am totally willing to pay a slight weight penalty for the ride quality of a steel frame.

As for geo, ask Nat. He's got an On-one. and a Rig to compare it to. And "his wife" had a Dos Niner... :D

·
Registered
18,550 Posts
TheSingleGuy said:
I recently bought a KM, you know, that HEAVY PIG of a 29er. Sure feels dang light when I'm riding it. Come to think of it, it also feels kinda light when I have to pick it up. Given that the On-one is slightly lighter than the KM, I think you'd be happy with it. Depends what you compare it to, I guess.

One more thing - after getting back on a steel frame for the first time since '99, I am totally willing to pay a slight weight penalty for the ride quality of a steel frame.

As for geo, ask Nat. He's got an On-one. and a Rig to compare it to. And "his wife" had a Dos Niner... :D
Yeah, that wife of mine, she has a spending habit...

NoMud, boboso -- I've raced the Rig, the On-One, and the Dos Niner and kicked thoroughly mediocre ass on all three. I should take the time to write up a comparo one of these days.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Nat said:
Yeah, that wife of mine, she has a spending habit....
Mine too! Well, not quite wife yet, but we're working on that. Next step is to both be in the same country...

Nat said:
NoMud, boboso -- I've raced the Rig, the On-One, and the Dos Niner and kicked thoroughly mediocre ass on all three. I should take the time to write up a comparo one of these days.
I thought you already did?

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Nat said:
Uh oh, did you "take a knee?" Living apart sucks (but older married couples don't seem to mind it I'm told).

Oh yeah, I did! If only there were an easy way to look it up...
haha, it's no big drama - we were both living in Japan (where I still am), she went back to Aust for a 6 month project that has ended up becoming permanent, and I have yet to make my grand re-entrance to Sunny Australia. Soon, soon.

Sorry for the thread-jack, but getting back on topic, I think we have a pretty good selection of reasonably priced bikes right now - from On-one, Soma, Surly and Fisher, sorry if I missed anyone! I bet they'd all have a reasonable resale value too, so it'd be a fairly safe experiment if one wasn't sure that 29ers were for them.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Nat said:
Uh oh, did you "take a knee?" Living apart sucks (but older married couples don't seem to mind it I'm told).

Oh yeah, I did! If only there were an easy way to look it up...
"nat test" in the funky new search boxes up top will get you there. Thanks for that, btw.

·
Registered
18,550 Posts
I've been meaning to ask, what delicious foods are you eating in your avatar? Every time I read your posts, I squint and stare at the avatar trying to figure out what I should eat.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Nat said:
I've been meaning to ask, what delicious foods are you eating in your avatar? Every time I read your posts, I squint and stare at the avatar trying to figure out what I should eat.
That there is a Yakiniku Teishoku - Yakiniku, literally, means cooked meat! It's little slices of beef grilled in a marinade-like sauce (funny that you can't actually see the meat there, even thought it's the main part of the dish), and Teishoku means set meal. You can see a bowl of rice, some salad, and another bowl that contains miso soup. There are also some Japanese style pickles there too, but you can't see them. It's one of my favourite lunches over here. This restaurant is next to my favourite bike shop in Japan - Kato Cycle. I usually go there for lunch when we visit the shop, as it is an all-day affair most times.

There's so much great food over here. No wonder I'm getting fat (or maybe it's the beer...)

·
Registered
18,550 Posts
TheSingleGuy said:
That there is a Yakiniku Teishoku - Yakiniku, literally, means cooked meat! It's little slices of beef grilled in a marinade-like sauce (funny that you can't actually see the meat there, even thought it's the main part of the dish), and Teishoku means set meal. You can see a bowl of rice, some salad, and another bowl that contains miso soup. There are also some Japanese style pickles there too, but you can't see them. It's one of my favourite lunches over here. This restaurant is next to my favourite bike shop in Japan - Kato Cycle. I usually go there for lunch when we visit the shop, as it is an all-day affair most times.

There's so much great food over here. No wonder I'm getting fat (or maybe it's the beer...)
Holy yakitori that sounds good! I have a friend in Japan who snaps cellphone pics of his meals and emails them all the time. I envy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.