Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

good build ?

378 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  todd_freeride 
#1 ·
Hi all, i've decided to build my P.2 back into shape

so first the flaws
it needs a new; rear brake (rotor is really bent, capilar is trashed, pads are gone), the front brake just needs new pads, the headset might be screwed up (its just really tight and sticky no matter how much it is worked on), needs new front and rear tire, new grips, and the fork is working, but lets face it....it needs to go.

the setup ?

Tektro aquas rear brake and 8" rotor
hayes brake pads (for the front)
Halo twin rail tires F+R 2.2X26
FSA PIG headset
ODI ruffian lockon grips
2004 or 2005 Marzocchi DJ III

so is there anything that could improve this build ? I dont want to spend too much on this bike, so its like the list so far is $360.00 anything I could put on here that would be better ?

ohh yea, my riding style is mostly DJ/urban/trail

See less See more
Discussion starter · #7 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Rear brake blows. Get a Avid.

The DJ series is a little too fast on the rebound for my liking. We ended up pouring 40 weight motorcycle fork oil in. Pumped it up to about 30 in both legs. It rode sooooo much better. Get an o3 DJ if you can. They're so much lighter. And you can probably get one for cheaper too.
I dunno, the rear brake is ...wierd http://www.blueskycycling.com/product1536_31_-Tektro-Aquila-Disc-Brake-160mm.htm I have a IO on my trail bike, it blows but its stopping me faster than my MX2 with the 8" rotor.

Havent people had a lot of problems with the 2003 DJ III ? I know those were the lightest and the felt the best, but I have heard that tons of people are cracking the crowns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.