Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone had a favorite bike shop in or around Wilmington, DE. The majority of the bike shops I see have been Bike Lines. I also know of Wooden Wheels in Newark, Dunbars and Henrys. Anyone like or dislike any of these guys? I'd prefer them with a MTB lean obviously. Thanks in advance!

My experiences going local was to Alans off of Rt. 202. Told him I was interested in a Gary Fisher Rig and the guy seemed very very very uninterested which turned me off to say the least. I tried talking to him about how I didn't want to buy the bike from a BikeLine and his response(or lack there of) was rather disheartening. Not to mention his prices were the same as the BikeLine down the road, his hours were horrible (Closing at 4 every Weekday and closed on Tues?????) and the dude there whether he was Alan or not was a jerk. Just my experience and it might have been an off day but I ended up buying the bike from Bikeline. Before anyone jumps down my throat. Wooden Wheels does not sell GF. 60 bucks for 5 years of unlimited tunes and lubes and the fact every-time I told a worker at a BikeLine I was looking at a Rig they always were energetic about it, like what I would expect from a biker, lead me towards purchasing from them. I had a vague recollection of a bad experience at Dunbars with the purchase of my first mtb when I was 14-15 and Henrys always came off like a road bike shop.

My experience so far has been good with BikeLine(of Newark, had +/- with BikeLine Wilmington with one very very big negative experience). The build was great my EBB was creaking a little and there was a lot more play in my brakes so they said they'd tighten them all up and give em a good lube job. Dropped off on Sunday late after a ride and can pick-up the bike Thursday or earlier if they call. Apparently there is a 18 day wait for tune-ups but since it was my first one they said they always take precedence over other tune-ups. I will make my next scheduled tune-up within a few days of my pickup Thursday. That way by the time the cables stretch anymore, my chain, BB and/or whatever else need a lube my rig can get it.

Feel free to share experiences or rip apart my current choice in BikeShops.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I live down in Dover and will drive almost an hour to go to either the Newark Bikeline or Henry's. Found both to be great shops.

Of course, Henry's sponsors the road/triathlon club I ridee with, so I'm probably biased there.

But I've also been to BikeLine several times and have been impressed with the knowledge and enthusiasm of everyone in the shop. And I have to say that I have walked out of there with small parts and little mechanical things done at no charge, gotten instant discounts on bar/gels for buying quite a few, etc. All the little customer service things that separte a good shop from the others. Things that one of the local shops here in Dover, which I'm forced to visit on occasion is too happy to overcharge for. I mean I'm not expecting the world here, but most GOOD shops wouldn't hesitate to hand over 2 or 3 spoke nipples or cable ends, loosen a cassette lockring at no charge because they know that service like that will bring people back. And it's a shame for the local guy, cause I break a lot of things and spend a lot of money.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The guy @ Alan's is a d*ck. I've been in their twice and both times been blown off.

Dunbars is ok. No real complaint's; I'll go their for tubes and such but the staffs level of knowledge isn't that great, in my opinion. My buddy gets his bike tuned there and it seems like he is always having some kinda issue (ie... chain suck, ghost shifting...). Could just be the way he takes care of his bike though.

Never been to Wheels and I try never to go to Bikeline.

Just on the PA side of the DE/ PA border is Cycle Fit of Delaware County:
http://cyclefitonline.com/map.cfm?StoreID=2.
They had a fire and are just up the rode from their normal location temporarily. But they are the best in service. Greg is the man. Check 'em out. Been going their for 8 yrs. and never had a problem they haven't gone above and beyond to rectify. :) :thumbsup:

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to see that my impressions have been shared on both the bad and good sides. The dude at Alans regardless of who he was really turned me off. Dunbars as stated before gave my family problems in the past when getting bikes serviced and so far the Newark Bikeline has been great, with their 18 day wait I am thinking about scheduling service within a week or so of when I pick up the bike on Thursday. Is that frowned upon? I bought the service plan for a reason and I have full intention of using it. I'm just afraid of them being bitter for me bringing the bike in every month.

All the guys working seemed about my age(young) and seemed cool enough. Asked how I liked the bike, what if any things have i noticed(such as the brake play/give and the creaky BB). The other thing I noticed which I don't know if its because they were my age or because I brought in a SS(not your average geared Huffy) but was the fact that they treated me like a fellow biker as opposed to every other shop I've been in where they act like elists and I'm someone "new to biking." There is one d-bag at the Wilmington BikeLine store that I'd love the chance to school on the road or the trail. (Not that I am that good, but more the fact he looks so OUT of shape) Every time I have gone to the store he's given me attitude and talked to me like I'm a newborn when it comes to bikes. I've yet to really spend enough time/money in any one shop to really get a feel for what is good service. I hear alot of guys on here mention specific people or owners and deals or things they've gotten for free or no charge. They put cleats on my shoes for free which at the time I thought was pretty cool(even though I bought both new that day). I'd love to find a shop where there just happy your riding and are enthusiastic about it. I've heard good things about wooden wheels they seem to be more rider oriented.

Hell the best bike service I have gotten bar-none has been from JensonUSA.com. They have installed my rear cassette on my wheelset for free, gave me an upgraded shifter and brake for no extra charge, separated my items so theyd ship faster free of charge and spoke to me like I was a friend. They won me over so much with their service(none of which they were obligated to do) that if I am looking for any part or product they are the first site I goto.

·
Registered
729 Posts
wooden wheels is great.iv never mad ea major purchase there though...just my hardtailand bmx.but all the guys there ride,iv ridden with some of them,and the prices there are good too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.