Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A tire can't obviously be the best at everything, I know. But I really need to find a tire that will won't kill me on pavement as I use my bike daily on roads and sidewalks to get to class, but that I can also use for xc riding on dirt paths and still be decent coming out of a sandy ditch and muddy/red clay sections. Is there anything that is well-rounded like that? I ride a trek xc HT, currently mythos xc in back and Hutchinson Bulldog Airlite in the front, both 2.1

thanks

·
Gnarley!!!!!
260 Posts
I, too, am in the same boat. I was going to get the panaracer cinders, but people say it has sloooow rolling on hardpack trails. The FIREXC is suppoed to roll faster though...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
For loose stuff you need big knobs, for durability you want it to be 60a or something like that.

A tyre such as Larsen TT would work well in the conditions you describe (commute & dirt path - hardpack) but probably not much chop in the loose stuff & mud (closely spaced & small knobs).

Panaracer Fire Xc seems to be an ok all round tire, having one of those (2.1) on the rear & a Michelin Hot S 2.2 on the front seems to be a nice fast rolling sort of combo, plenty of grip in the loose stuff and sheds mud as well.
My LBS said that High Roller front & Maxxis Advantage rear would make a good combo. The Advantage looks pretty similar to the Michelin Hot S in the tread pattern & I'm looking forward to getting a 2.4 to try out on the front.

I would go for something with largeish or at least well spaced knobs with a hard sort of compound for durability, you don't get as much grip as with taccy or softer rubber but durability is an advantage. Any of the ones mentioned so far would probably be pretty good. There has to be some give, so you will have to decide which you're willing to trade off the most - grip, durability, rolling resistance.

One which may be a good all round tire (but on the expensive side) is also the Syncros Point N Chute 2.1

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
:D ROFLMAO :D Wow, I can't believe you actually posted that reply with a straight face. They are absolutely the worst tyre for use on pavement, even the DTC compound. They feel like you've all of a sudden had a tank strapped to your wheels when you go from off-road to pavement. Guess you've never ridden them.

crazylax42 said:
nevegals seem to be a favorite for many, but will they wear out too quick on pavement?
For a good mixed tyre that Schwalbe, it looks pretty nice or try their Marathon Cross for even better RR on the tarmac and yet still surprising traction in the dry stuff off-road.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Shiggy is mountain bike tyres..............................

·
Registered
185 Posts
Anything you put on the bike is gonna wear out fast because of all the commuting. I think the best course of action would be to invest in an inexpensive wheel set with some commuter tires and wrap some nevegal DTC's on your other set and use them when you are gonna hit the trails.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For those Schwalbe Smart Sam tires, the wire bead is half the price of the folding bead, but is the exact same except slightly heavier and has a lower EPI of 50 instead of 67. Now the question is, what the heck is EPI?

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
IRC Trailbear

IRC Trailbear is a really really good all around tire. You will get a easy year out of them will tons or road miles and they will work fantastic off road also. They are LONG wearing for sure. Their achilles heel is wet roots as there are better tires for that but every other situation they are better than most.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=14983&subcategory_ID=5430

Attachments

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,452 Posts
I'd just buy a cheap semi slick and put it on the back and use for your commutes. Just put your regular knobby back on when you want to go bush. The front knobby adds little rolling resistance on tarmac compared to the back - so leave your regular knobby on.

Semi slicks (like the Maxxis Wormdrive) can handle moderate offroad conditions too. The Wormdrive is often lying around bike shops for cheap, in the wire bead version, and has a decent volume for a 1.95.

It takes all of five minutes to put your proper knobby back on anyway - so why compromise?

·
Registered
525 Posts
crazylax42 said:
For those Schwalbe Smart Sam tires, the wire bead is half the price of the folding bead, but is the exact same except slightly heavier and has a lower EPI of 50 instead of 67. Now the question is, what the heck is EPI?
Funny Crazy... I thought it must be a typo. But The Schwalbe site has it as
ends per inch as opposed to threads per inch.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,452 Posts
fsrxc said:
Spiders would wear too fast on the street. Pythons maybe.
Yep - I just had a set of 2.0 Spiders. Not a bad tyre, but not particularly great at anything - although they rolled pretty well for fat 'uns.

The rapid wear was a sight to behold.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
My vote would also go to the Spider as a great all around but as a rear only. As a front I find the Spider quite slippery, on roots particularly. I used to like the Octopus in front but Hutch has a new version called the Barracuda, looks good but never tried it. My current favorite for all around front is the Nevagal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.