Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend me good aftermarket grips I have no idea what brands are good. I am not too fond of the stock ones on my 2010 GT Avalanche 1.0 plus they have have white edges and they look dirty already after hitting some trails.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Best bet is to go visit a local shop and take a look at what they have on offer, as grips are pretty personal, almost as personal as saddles. That being said, if you want something for long rides to help alleviate wrist pain and give more hand positions and support, I really like the Ergon grips, just find which ones work for you - I use the GX1s on my trail bike and GX2s on my rigid/road/light XC bike. The Oddie Ruffians are also pretty nice and squishy with good volume.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,440 Posts
I like Oury.

I tried ESI grips at the recommendation of others and had a terrible experience with them. In the end I sliced them off with a razor blade. They were ever used for even one ride. I want to to see if ESI will refund my money. They were close to $20...and never used. :madman:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
mx_599 said:
I like Oury.

I tried ESI grips at the recommendation of others and had a terrible experience with them. In the end I sliced them off with a razor blade. They were ever used for even one ride. I want to to see if ESI will refund my money. They were close to $20...and never used. :madman:
how did you have a terrible experience without even using them? you might have been able to get a refund...if you didn't slice em off.

i have a cheap set of ritchey grips for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the great choices im gonna go and see if my LBS carries the ones you mentioned. So top picks would be Odi Lock-ons I really like how they look, or the ergon's they look kinda weird but they do look comfortable.

Do all grips are universal or do I have to look for a special fit for my bike?

Here is the one my bike comes with (Handlebar: GT Mtn Riser, 15 mm rise, 6061 heat treated, 31.8 mm clamp)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
It's one area that YES, is universal as far as fit goes ;) Any grip should fit fine.

c0ld said:
Thanks for the great choices im gonna go and see if my LBS carries the ones you mentioned. So top picks would be Odi Lock-ons I really like how they look, or the ergon's they look kinda weird but they do look comfortable.

Do all grips are universal or do I have to look for a special fit for my bike?

Here is the one my bike comes with (Handlebar: GT Mtn Riser, 15 mm rise, 6061 heat treated, 31.8 mm clamp)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the small and large sizes for the Ergons depends on how large my hand is then haha. I was getting kinda confused on sizes, thanks for quick answer LyNx :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
I have oury lockons and I love the diameter of them and the thickness of the grip...very comfortable.

However, I'm getting some pretty serious hand numbness and pain when I ride which I think is going to have to mean a change of grips, and I'll be trying ergons. I was on the ergon site and they had an animation that showed where standard grips can cause pain...I realized on my next ride that that was the EXACT spot where my pain was...I don't know if the ergons will cure it but I think they will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,440 Posts
square said:
how did you have a terrible experience without even using them? you might have been able to get a refund...if you didn't slice em off.

i have a cheap set of ritchey grips for now.
believe me, I am with you. I basically had to slice them off. I had the asymmetrical chunky ones.

major difficulty getting them on. even worse trying to get the fat part in the right spot. tried multiple tricks and "lube" solutions. nothing worked. to the point of getting blisters on my hands trying to manipulate them.

then, a change of componentry plans called for grip shift...:madman:

after all that, I attempted to get them off and it was not happening. razor...

to add insult to injury, the packaging claims easy on easy off. right. I might have been an isolated case...but they are not easy on easy off!

:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
mx_599 said:
believe me, I am with you. I basically had to slice them off. I had the asymmetrical chunky ones.

major difficulty getting them on. even worse trying to get the fat part in the right spot. tried multiple tricks and "lube" solutions. nothing worked. to the point of getting blisters on my hands trying to manipulate them.

then, a change of componentry plans called for grip shift...:madman:

after all that, I attempted to get them off and it was not happening. razor...

to add insult to injury, the packaging claims easy on easy off. right. I might have been an isolated case...but they are not easy on easy off!

:thumbsup:
I love mine. They are simple, look good, provide good cushioning, and they stay in place. I do agree that they are harder to get on and off than most grips, but I like that. Most grips I have owned have slipped a little in position. Not these. I just removed one today to do some maintenance on a shifter. At first they were hard to get off, but I ended up sliding a screwdiver unde them, and pouring a shitload of alchol in, and they slid right off.

To each their own I guess, but the ESIs get my stamp of aproval.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top