Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started from Cback, went up freeway, down the connector (If I had known how good of condition it was in, I would have giver a lot more gas!), up Central Ridge connect to Shanes, loop, Buck trail, back up connector and down freeway and out.

The sun was going down when I was just starting back up the connector and not sure if I would get left.

Come to Camels BAck and I see the BikeBox and no piggy anywhere.

Right on Geoff. What did you do?

Photo from Shanes

Attachments

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:

I froze my fingers off is what I did. After Friday's slog through the snow on Corrals, Saturday's 3 hour foothills adventure with the "Astroglide 5," and then Sunday's hammerfest with flip and his gal pal (who, I might add, is one heck of a strong rider), I only had legs left to do dork loop on the SS: Chickadee - Hulls Gulch - Freeway - Kestrel - Owl's Roost. Weak and lame, but so am I. Funny how 20 degrees feels so much colder in the dark than it does when the sun is out. Brrrr.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I only had legs left to do dork loop on the SS: Chickadee - Hulls Gulch - Freeway - Kestrel - Owl's Roost. Weak and lame, but so am I. Funny how 20 degrees feels so much colder in the dark than it does when the sun is out. Brrrr.
Not weak and lame, that's my regular 7am loop and it's a perfect 45 minute to an hour workout before work... What is cool is you can do that ride, freeze your toes off, then lace up the running shoes, and run a quick 5k and you're back to being toasty! Kinda like 'cross but without the silly skinny roadie tires. Do that enough times during the week in winter and there is absolutely no transition from winter to spring to summer-fitness wise...

·
Registered
970 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
I started from Cback, went up freeway, down the connector (If I had known how good of condition it was in, I would have giver a lot more gas!), up Central Ridge connect to Shanes, loop, Buck trail, back up connector and down freeway and out.

The sun was going down when I was just starting back up the connector and not sure if I would get left.

Photo from Shanes
did you notice a bundled up guy...with two dogs (vizslas) yesterday? i was in the shane's area.

you ride a specialized, silver? am i right.

i was coughing violently due to the burger and beers i had consumed earlier. my parents were in town ('til this morning), and i had to get out of the house.

i put on a neck gator, and started overheating around central ridge.

i stopped to remove the neck gator and at this time, you, or the other rider left me.

i felt pretty terrible.

you, or the other rider were the only ones that i saw out there. so, chances are it was you.

sorry if my dogs broke your concentration

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Earthpig said:
Funny how 20 degrees feels so much colder in the dark than it does when the sun is out. Brrrr.
Ain't that the truth! Hence why I have wimply taken a break from riding at night until the temps "warm up" just a tad to high 20s/low 30s. I can run in this weather at night with no real big problems, but it's just a tad too unbearable for me on a bike at 6pm :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Heya!

garnetspur said:
did you notice a bundled up guy...with two dogs (vizslas) yesterday? i was in the shane's area.

you ride a specialized, silver? am i right.

i was coughing violently due to the burger and beers i had consumed earlier. my parents were in town ('til this morning), and i had to get out of the house.

i put on a neck gator, and started overheating around central ridge.

i stopped to remove the neck gator and at this time, you, or the other rider left me.

i felt pretty terrible.

you, or the other rider were the only ones that i saw out there. so, chances are it was you.

sorry if my dogs broke your concentration
Was that you, green bike I think? No, those dogs are awesome, and were just having a blast...

I stopped for a bit before heading up Shanes and wondering where you were, I thought I heard someone coughign or choking and was going to go back I feel bad!!

Anyway, trail conditions were EXCELLENT eh?

Hope you felt/feel, better. Start eating soy burgers and drinking water instead of beer; or, apparently, Chardonnay (I prefer reds) :)

·
Registered
970 Posts
i feel pretty bad today. i think the air quality was pretty bad yesterday.

yep, green and orange bike...steel hardtail...IF...flames...

the conditions were nice. but, the ride was more for the dogs than me. well, all for the dogs..they were bouncing off the walls.

my parents drifted into their afternoon naps, and i got to break from entertaining. they're on their way back to warm SC right now.

wouldn't you know it..we have this super cold weather while they are here. they already think i live in an ice box...and we have the coldest temps since i've lived here while they visit.

i thought one of my dogs was going to stay with you (he likes to run with the lead rider). luckily, he turned back and i didn't have to bust azz to try to catch back up to you.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SC is South Carolina?

garnetspur said:
i feel pretty bad today. i think the air quality was pretty bad yesterday.

yep, green and orange bike...steel hardtail...IF...flames...

the conditions were nice. but, the ride was more for the dogs than me. well, all for the dogs..they were bouncing off the walls.

my parents drifted into their afternoon naps, and i got to break from entertaining. they're on their way back to warm SC right now.

wouldn't you know it..we have this super cold weather while they are here. they already think i live in an ice box...and we have the coldest temps since i've lived here while they visit.

i thought one of my dogs was going to stay with you (he likes to run with the lead rider). luckily, he turned back and i didn't have to bust azz to try to catch back up to you.
Southern folk?

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,981 Posts
Earthpig said:
I only had legs left to do dork loop on the SS
That's not a dork loop, thats the Yenrab loop. Did you find a couple of spots on the climb up Hulls are starting to get inconveniently icy? I spun out a couple of times when I had to stand up and mash.

Earthpig said:
Yeah I wish I wore my Pearl Izumi Microfleece Willie Warmer last night.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Winter gloves?

Earthpig said:
I froze my fingers off is what I did. After Friday's slog through the snow on Corrals, Saturday's 3 hour foothills adventure with the "Astroglide 5," and then Sunday's hammerfest with flip and his gal pal (who, I might add, is one heck of a strong rider), I only had legs left to do dork loop on the SS: Chickadee - Hulls Gulch - Freeway - Kestrel - Owl's Roost. Weak and lame, but so am I. Funny how 20 degrees feels so much colder in the dark than it does when the sun is out. Brrrr.
If you're not comfortable I can vouch for my Gore Tex ski gloves. they also allow pretty good control feel too.

If I may, I like the pair of Extreme gloves on here:http://www.gorebikewear.com/
and would buy a pair if my old ones didn't work so well. I may anyway as back up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts