Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppose I am going to be converting a 26 inch frame (ht) and I wanted a "safer bet" rear tire that would fit "most" rear triangles of 26-er's, what would everyone recommend?

I have been thinking about a frame but started to think about a cheaper/quicker way to a new ride... Conversion!

My gut is telling me that a 2.1 neo moto or a 2.1 nevegal might be the way to go.

I am running a 130mm fox 32mm vanilla and was hoping to get a 2.25-2.3 sized tire for the front.

The frame is a titus eleven and I have seen some pics of a Quasimodo in the rear with quite a bit of room. Also a thread reported racing Ralph's fit as well.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Suppose I am going to be converting a 26 inch frame (ht) and I wanted a "safer bet" rear tire that would fit "most" rear triangles of 26-er's, what would everyone recommend?

I have been thinking about a frame but started to think about a cheaper/quicker way to a new ride... Conversion!

My gut is telling me that a 2.1 neo moto or a 2.1 nevegal might be the way to go.

I am running a 130mm fox 32mm vanilla and was hoping to get a 2.25-2.3 sized tire for the front.

The frame is a titus eleven and I have seen some pics of a Quasimodo in the rear with quite a bit of room. Also a thread reported racing Ralph's fit as well.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Didn't get to look up your bike model to see what type it is: ht/fs xc/trail etc. for tire selection. Surprising but the 2.0 Quasi are ~same size as the 2.1 Neo. Both great tires.

Maxxis 2.1 CrossMark
Geax 2.0 Saguaro
Panracer/IRC 2.1 Fire XC (these would be knobbier but a tad smaller than the 2.1 Nev)
Specialized 2.0 Fast Track (allegedly out somewheres...)
Spec 2.1 Ground Control (have not seen one mounted yet but 29r version ran small)

PricePoint has a pretty good selection of the top 3. Also check Universal or Outside Outfitters.

You'll have to get to an lbs that carries the big S models.

As for a front, I have used the WTB Wolv in 2.2 and the Nev in 2.35 on 26" Float 130 and Vanilla 140 forks which work fine clearance wise. The Nev being a better front tire for most terrain. There is a WTB 2.3 Vigilante out now but not sure it would be a safe fit for that fork or not as they run a tad bigger. I just got one from a buddy but have not installed on my wheel yet as I have since sold the longer travel trail bike w/15mm thru axle fork which the wheel is set up for. I only have xc bikes w/9mm qr forks at the moment. I do plan on getting a 15mm t/a 650 specific fork in the future and will run it on that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't know how much room you have exactly, but I could not fit a WTB Wolverine 2.2, but a Geax Saguaro 2.0 fits with plenty of room. I know the Neo Moto, Quasi, and Nevengal are smaller than the Wolverine, but not sure by much.

I bought both tires for my conversion at sixfifty.com. I paid $63 for the AKA up front and Saguaro for the back. Not sure how much longer, but "spring2014" got me 10 or 15% off my order.

WTB Wolverine 2.2

Geax Saguaro 2.0

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm doing a conversion as well and have chosen Spec Purgatory (front) and Geax Saguaro (rear) for my riding conditions in Central Oregon/Bend.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
I don't know how much room you have exactly, but I could not fit a WTB Wolverine 2.2, but a Geax Saguaro 2.0 fits with plenty of room. I know the Neo Moto, Quasi, and Nevengal are smaller than the Wolverine, but not sure by much.

I bought both tires for my conversion at sixfifty.com. I paid $63 for the AKA up front and Saguaro for the back. Not sure how much longer, but "spring2014" got me 10 or 15% off my order.

WTB Wolverine 2.2

Geax Saguaro 2.0
Yeah, the 2.2 Wolvs and the new 2.2 BeeLine tires(and surprisingly the same size as the Wolvs) are quite abit bigger than the others you mentioned, I've had all 3 of them. :)
That Saguaro tread pattern almost looks like a beefier Quasi Moto!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nevegal 2.1 didn't fit my Mojo SL.

Vee Rubber Mission 2.1 fit with a lot of clearance.

I'm about to try Vee Rubber Master Blaster 2.1 because the Mission lacked grip.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really glad to hear the neo 2.1 are similar in size to the quasi as the quasi fits w/o a problem. I am thinking on buying an azonic outlaw wheelset as my test wheelset- seems like a good back-up if a full conversion makes sense. My hardtail is a ht frame with sliding drops for ss and vert for geared. The outlaws have a step down axle option from 12mm down to 10mm so it could be a good test for both ss and geared. I have ck hubs that I can have built later provided the proof of concept works

·
Registered
440 Posts
I can't comment on fit on your bike, but I will say that I really like the Neo Moto 2.1's and they worked on my converted Cannondale Rush.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Nevegal 2.1 didn't fit my Mojo SL.

Vee Rubber Mission 2.1 fit with a lot of clearance.

I'm about to try Vee Rubber Master Blaster 2.1 because the Mission lacked grip.
Yeah very few have had luck with converting the SL. Just ran across a thread with someone commenting on having 27.5's in back but can't recall the tire, possibly the 2.1 CrossMark.

Was that you??

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Here's link to my review of a bike I test rode,http://forums.mtbr.com/ventana/demod-zeus-my-review-pics-897273.html reason to add it here is that the 2.2 wolverines are TALL, In my pics you can see the Wolvs are taller than than my 2.35 Nevegals. I have 2.1 Nev's as well and they are quite small volume wise and are great for conversion setup's.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I run 2.35 NN front and 2.2 conti xking on my converted mojo SL.
The xking 2.2 run small/skinny, more like my 26x 2.1 spec ground control.
Front has plenty room with xfusion velvet, rear is pretty tight. Luckily we don't get much rain or mud in our local trails.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Front has plenty room with xfusion velvet, rear is pretty tight. Luckily we don't get much rain or mud in our local trails.
Ah hah, must have been your bike I was mentioning. My lbs just started carrying the 2.4's. I didn't know they made a 2.2 x king in 27.5. Nice. I'll have to look into them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Doh! Wish I had known the cross kings fit. Probably would have went with those but I didn't want to risk buying another tire that didn't clear my frame. I just mounted the vee rubber master blaster 2.1 yesterday. The carcass appears to be the same as the missions, just the knobs are a lot more aggressive. Tire still has plenty of clearance. Hopefully this will improve my rear traction. Pics below

b5gw.jpg
kdsi.jpg

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm talking about the new Ardent Race 2.2. much smaller than a wolverine 2.2. I'm running it on my Mojo HD conversion. Fits pretty well.

Vee rubber master blaster on the other hand was a horrible tire IMO. Tread pattern looks ok, but it slips all over the place and shed knobs after only a couple of rides.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts