Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Low speed, High Drag
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody suggest a good fork for a 210lb dude? I'm totally confused by all the choices out there, and thought maybe you guys could help me out. Here's what I've got:

05 Cannondale Prophet, size medium
I weigh around 215-220 w/gear, and 5'11"
Need something in the 140mm travel range, since that's what I've got in the rear
I ride mostly XC, and trails. A 3 or 4 foot drop now and then is not out of the question
Would like something I can use out of the box, i.e., not have to wait for springs, etc. before I can ride it, if possible.
Keep it around $500.00 if possible.

I've been out of the sport for about 8 years, and have no idea what works anymore for bigger dudes. When I got out of it, there was maybe 3 or 4 choices for Clydes, and that was it. Ah, the good old days!

Thanks in advance, Kevin.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
pike

kevhogaz said:
Can anybody suggest a good fork for a 210lb dude? I'm totally confused by all the choices out there, and thought maybe you guys could help me out. Here's what I've got:

05 Cannondale Prophet, size medium
I weigh around 215-220 w/gear, and 5'11"
Need something in the 140mm travel range, since that's what I've got in the rear
I ride mostly XC, and trails. A 3 or 4 foot drop now and then is not out of the question
Would like something I can use out of the box, i.e., not have to wait for springs, etc. before I can ride it, if possible.
Keep it around $500.00 if possible.

I've been out of the sport for about 8 years, and have no idea what works anymore for bigger dudes. When I got out of it, there was maybe 3 or 4 choices for Clydes, and that was it. Ah, the good old days!

Thanks in advance, Kevin.
Go the RS Pike Coil. This is pretty much the only fork that comes to mind in that range.
140mm, stiff, 20mm axle, relatively light weight, you can get it for quite a bit less than $500.

Ask the shop you by it from to put the firm springs in at purchase time. I don't know if you are running 20mm axle now, but once you try it you will never switch back.

Should go really well with the prophet.

GOOD LUCK!

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
Ditto

100% agree with the post by G-AIR. The Pike with the 20mm thru-axle is awesome for the money.

Swapping out the spring is a simple five minute deal and if I remember correctly only cost around $20 through my LBS.

Michael

·
Registered
372 Posts
what about aa marzocchi z1fr1 its got ETA and 888 carts in it nice and stiff too. it 150mm of travel but hell its only 10 more mm

·
Low speed, High Drag
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm leaning towards the Pike, mainly since the Zoke is about $250.00 more than the RS. Which model am I looking for, the 426 with the coil spring U-turn? It looks to me like the 454's are all air sprung, right? Oh, and what about the pop-loc, what the hell is that for, and is it worth the extra $50.00?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
a little more info.

kevhogaz said:
Well, I'm leaning towards the Pike, mainly since the Zoke is about $250.00 more than the RS. Which model am I looking for, the 426 with the coil spring U-turn? It looks to me like the 454's are all air sprung, right? Oh, and what about the pop-loc, what the hell is that for, and is it worth the extra $50.00?
Forget the poploc....more clutter, more weight, not necessary.

From what I understand the RS is selling the 426 Coil aftermarket, and the 454 AIR models aftermarket. The 454 Coil is OEM at this point. Unless you are really into saving a few ounces, I think the 426 Coil is the way to go anyway.

The Zoke is going to be quite a bit taller...maiking the ride quite a bit more slack.....some peolpe like this, others don't. I still think the Pike would be a great fork for the Prophet. The Pike is also 8-10 oz. lighter than the Zoke, and reportedly stiffer than the Z1.

·
Registered
317 Posts
sherman flick....

try the sherman flick, you will have to change out the springs (LBS should have some or you can have them shipped in two days from any of the other online retailers)
The flick has a travel adjust (110--150mm) and no SPV, i've had the flick plus regular qr for just under a year and it has served me well, nothing other than simple maintance. i weigh in at a scant 225 with my gear on and have it on a intense 5.5.

You can get these cheep on ebay i picked mine up last year when they were new for 400cdn shipped with tarrifs/duty charges.
good luck
STEVE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts