Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey you guys. I've been building a 2008 kona dawg deluxe. I have everything but the fork. I've been looking for a 120mm fork for under $450. It has to be tough and reliable....i'm really aggressive. Can you guys give me any good ones??????

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man!!!:D I have one on my old jamis and it was great but looking to try something new! Oh and the u turn has 85mm through 130mm not 85mm or 130mm.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yyyyyuuupppppppp!!!! the forks u turn knob makes minimal adjustment to let you adjust travel to where you want it!! It's super cool!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
for only $100 more you can get this
fox talas with adjustable travel 140-120-100mm and 15mm throu axle
http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=137240&cat=34&brand=303

or fox float 32 120mm if you want to save some weight.
http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=137231&cat=34&brand=303

or you can get pike 454 wtih 20mm axle for $457 and free shipping but this particular one is coil so heavier
http://storesense4.megawebservers.c...-strse-1996/RockShox-Pike-454-Coil/Detail.bok

for around $490 you can get manitou minute elite 120mm with 20mm through axle. It gets excellent reviews
http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/manitou-minute-elite-09-tpc-ta-fork-120mm-silver.html

of course, if you look around really hard you might find better deals.

·
Pin it to win it
486 Posts
Yeah if you ride really aggressive, get something that can go up to 140 with travel adjust. You can ride it in 120 most of the time but have a little extra travel when you want it.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
why are you trying to put a 120mm fork on a bike designed for 140mm? get a pike. a proper 140mm fork will make the bike work so much better!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice on the 140mm fork:D I think your right. Will a fox vanilla 32 rlc do good? one last question does the fox vanilla 32 rl have lockout or only the rlc?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i have an 08 dawg and i like it a lot. if i was fork shopping, id be looking at 160mm forks!

the foxes are fine. they're pretty over priced for what you get, and flimsy little things. if you're light they might be ok. i hated my talas.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Monk_Knight said:
Yeah if you ride really aggressive, get something that can go up to 140 with travel adjust. You can ride it in 120 most of the time but have a little extra travel when you want it.
I run my Pike at 120mm when railing flat singletrack. The coil is so damn compliant.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
the oe recon from jenson has a 7.2 inch steer tube.. not gonna fit a dawg. might fit a small sized integrated head tube bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The recon OE fits on my jamis dakar xlt 2.0 that has an integrated headset fits fine. Not alot of spacers fit so i put an adjustable dimensoins stem on it to raise it some!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
integrated headsets fit shorter forks. dawgs have standard headsets.

i think i cut my steer tube to right around 8.0, has maybe 3/8th worth of spacers..

but still, i definitely encourage you to put the length fork kona designed the bike around, 140mm :)

·
Pin it to win it
486 Posts
Thanks for the advice on the 140mm fork I think your right. Will a fox vanilla 32 rlc do good? one last question does the fox vanilla 32 rl have lockout or only the rlc?

Thanks
Vanilla does not have travel adjust. If you want travel adjust, you need the TALAS.

but still, i definitely encourage you to put the length fork kona designed the bike around, 140mm
Didn't realize that the Dawg was a 140mm bike. In that case, definitely get a fork with at least 140mm travel. If you want to be able to dial it down get travel adjust. If you think you might want to go bigger then look into a 160mm with travel adjust.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i think a travel adjustable 160mm fork on a dawg would be just fantastic :)

i run a manitou minute platinum SPV IT 140.. besides having the longest name ever, its a pretty good fork, the damper is just so-so. i think it'll be fantastic when the absolute+ is released.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts