Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
gunslinger
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some pretty successful outings just this week on the new Epic; a frig'n house cleaning last night. :eek: (at least when I compare me against me).

I'm too late to reg online, but I've got an email in to the promoter to verify I can reg day-of for a race this Saturday - what the hell right. I'll do beg 40+ (I'll be 44 in Sept). It's up @ Snowbird and I guess I could go pre-run tomorrow, but I decided to just show up and deal w/ what I'm handed. I used to know the trails up there from hiking, but it's been a long time and I've forgotten everything. The flyer says 800' (900' at the bottom - which is it folks???) vert over a 4.5 mile loop. My main ride is nearly 1400' in the same distance, so I'm not stressing the climbing a ton (I'm sure there will be tuf spots in there - I'd be a fool to think otherwise).

My weakness is rocky downhill stuf. The FS Epic has already opened new horizons in terms of XC descents. No clue how I'll do, but I'll settle all the hecklers spurring me to do it within a week of getting the machine.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Tough course!! I've done it a couple of times. (once in Sport, another time in Expert).

Climb is brutal, barely climbable grade towards the top. The ~8100 feet start line elevation is the real challenge. You'll produce less power as compared to being in town. I was in the 22/32 for a lot of that climb. Little ring for the uphill, Big ring for the downhill (keep the rear derailluer from flopping around), and middle ring for getting across the flats back to the start line. One pitch on the way back is kinda steep, and warranted the little ring for the latter laps.

Also, I do remember dismounting and pushing the bike each lap, up one section right before it really got steep. That's really a function of trail condition. The following year I cleared it every time. Did a race at Snowbasin on Wednesday, and there was a lot of water from snowmelt and overall rough conditions; might be similar at Snowbird this weekend.

The downhill is pretty dangerous. Straight down, rocky jeep road. Ed (race director) has thrown in a few sections of single track curves to keep the speed down. High speed wrecks are kinda typical so be careful.

When I did it in sport, I had a 3-5 inch travel talus and 2.1 inch Kenda Nevegals front and back. Put it in 3" travel for the uphills, and 5" for the downhills. That rocked for the downhills and gave great traction for the uphills. Keep the wimpy fast rolling tires at home.

Needless to say, it's my least favorite course in the series. I won't be paying 40 bucks to suffer on that course. (I could pay a neighborhood kid to beat me senseless with a baseball bat; it's about the same effect). But I'll be some on sweet Park City singletrack on Saturday thinking about your suffering. Let us know how it went.

Ponch

EDIT: Never mnd, I heard that there's a new singletrack that bypasses that steep Jeep road climb. Let me know how it is. Hell, I might put this on my schedule then.

·
gunslinger
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My other weakness is only riding a few trails 95% of the time! While Snowbird isn't really far away, my regular areas are even closer and I just don't feel the need to venture out much. Luckily, I do have some good variety in my regulars.

I think this will let me see how I do against "the real world". I might feel good about a given climb I do, but how does my "good" hold up against others my age - I'll find out.

I did get an email back and I can reg day-off, so it's on. :thumbsup:

·
gunslinger
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poncharelli said:
Tough course!! I've done it a couple of times. (once in Sport, another time in Expert).

Climb is brutal, barely climbable grade towards the top. The ~8000 feet start line elevation is the real challenge. You'll produce less power as compared to being in town. I was in the 22/32 for a lot of that climb. Little ring for the uphill, Big ring for the downhill (keep the rear derailluer from flopping around), and middle ring for getting across the flats back to the start line. One pitch on the way back is kinda steep, and warranted the little ring for the latter laps.

Also, I do remember dismounting and pushing the bike each lap, up one section right before it really got steep. That's really a function of trail condition. The following year I cleared it every time. Did a race at Snowbasin on Wednesday, and there was a lot of water from snowmelt and overall rough conditions; might be similar at Snowbird this weekend.

The downhill is pretty dangerous. Straight down, rocky jeep road. Ed (race director) has thrown in a few sections of single track curves to keep the speed down. High speed wrecks are kinda typical so be careful.

When I did it in sport, I had a 3-5 inch travel talus and 2.1 inch Kenda Nevegals front and back. Put it in 3" travel for the uphills, and 5" for the downhills. That rocked for the downhills and gave great traction for the uphills. Keep the wimpy fast rolling tires at home.

Needless to say, it's my least favorite course in the series. I won't be paying 40 bucks to suffer on that course. (I could pay a neighborhood kid to beat me senseless with a baseball bat; it's about the same effect). But I'll be some on sweet Park City singletrack on Saturday thinking about your suffering. Let us know how it went.

Ponch

EDIT: Never mnd, I heard that there's a new singletrack that bypasses that steep Jeep road climb. Let me know how it is. Hell, I might put this on my schedule then.
You posted while I was writting my reply! At least we're all "penalized" the same; what I suffer thru, all beginners suffer thru. The small guys will have an advantage in the climb, but I've got quads and can lay down some power in the mild stuf.

I'm sure I'll be the only guy riding in Dickies shorts (love 'em) and running a pack - first race and I'm gonna be scoping out the norm and how folks deal w/ repairs, etc.

Weather seems to be looking good and that means double good up there - that will be nice. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
selector said:
My weakness is rocky downhill stuf.
try wider bars. the old "XC race" position mentality probably isn't helping you here. Your bars should be wider than your shoulders!

have fun at the race!!! enjoy it!

·
Has skills-will travel
372 Posts
If I where you, I would skip the Snowbird race - it still goes down that stupid fire road; and use your money next week at Solitude. Some of the climbing is on roads - to shake out the fields, but all the downhill is on technical single track! It is just fun to ride!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
selector said:
Since I'm the newbie goon, what's wrong w/ the fire road???
most people feel that fire road is less fun. it can certainly be challenging though. i usually like races more that have lots of good single track.

·
Has skills-will travel
372 Posts
People get up to high speeds on the fire road DH, and there is a bunch of loose rocks with some corners, there are some pretty big crashes at Snowbird.

Don't get me wrong, there are crashes at Solitude, but since it is a tech single track downhill, they are at much lower speeds than at Snowbird.

You will probably have more fun on your first race doing the Midweek series that they hold at Park City/Solitude than say an I-Cup race!

·
gunslinger
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mooddude said:
People get up to high speeds on the fire road DH, and there is a bunch of loose rocks with some corners...
I remember hiking the road on the east side and how rocky/loose it was and that's been 14 years ago.

I'm working out in the salt ponds @ the west end of 12th street in Ogden and a guy I work with is gone all next week and we need to do a data dump before the end of the day and I live in South Jordan and my bike is there - I wouldn't mind pre-running it today, but time isn't on my side!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
mooddude said:
You will probably have more fun on your first race doing the Midweek series that they hold at Park City/Solitude than say an I-Cup race!
+1000000!!!

I've been MTB racing off and on since 2003. This past Wednesday was the first time I've done a mid-week series (Snowbasin). More fun than the law should allow!!!

Great racing, great people, good times, loud speakers with music, door prizes,......just awesome grassroots racing.

www.mtogdenraceseries.com (alternates with crit racing)

And at the end, I had 30 extra dollars in my pocket compared to doing a weekend race.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
selector said:
I I wouldn't mind pre-running it today, but time isn't on my side!
The first time I did it, about 5 of us pre-rode the course before the race, at minimal intensity.

The loop is short enough to do that.

·
Has skills-will travel
372 Posts
Poncharelli - am I reading the start times right for the Mt Ogden series - the Beginners start at 6:30 and Sport starts at 6:31 and Expert starts at 6:32? That seems backwards, and would be a mess unless there are three different trails?

I may go to the July 14th race since the Full Throttle series doesn't have a race until July 20th.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just pre-rode this course on Wednesday and it is probably my least favorite trail. There are plenty of tricky sections that will keep you on your toes and only a small amount of fun singletrack.

Like everyone said be careful on the downhill. Hopefully enough people will pre-ride the course to dig a little path in what feels like 3 inches of gravel on top of loose dirt. I felt pretty beat up after riding it but I'm still going to be there enduring the pain. Good luck.

·
gunslinger
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pray4snoww said:
I just pre-rode this course on Wednesday and it is probably my least favorite trail. There are plenty of tricky sections that will keep you on your toes and only a small amount of fun singletrack.

Like everyone said be careful on the downhill. Hopefully enough people will pre-ride the course to dig a little path in what feels like 3 inches of gravel on top of loose dirt.
That decides it... I'll wait for Solitude next week and ride Draper (with lights) then do Puke tomorrow later on.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
mooddude said:
Poncharelli - am I reading the start times right for the Mt Ogden series - the Beginners start at 6:30 and Sport starts at 6:31 and Expert starts at 6:32? That seems backwards, and would be a mess unless there are three different trails?

I may go to the July 14th race since the Full Throttle series doesn't have a race until July 20th.
Yes, it is backwards.

Bring a fully. It's mostly flattish technical. Very gradual uphill grade (except for the start of the race). I got pretty beat up on my hardtail 29er.

Snowbasin has a huge trail system, and we seem to race on the very roughest parts.

It was cool to see the little climbers not win for once.

And it's more like:
6:30 Pros and fast experts
6:31 Slow Experts through fast beginners (and people who want more than 1 lap)
6:32 Beginners, and the few compulsory sandbaggers

·
Has skills-will travel
372 Posts
Selector - How did you do on the Solitude race? Hope you had fun - I did.

Poncharelli - I raced last night at Snowbasin - fun coarse, thank god I have a FS!! Only problem is there was a Bull standing in the middle of the Single track when I pre-road it. Then on my second lap, there was a stupid Cow that wouldn't move. First time that has ever happen to me during a race!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts