Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Team BikeWood
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in Golden for a week and l'm looking for trail recommendations close by. I'll be bringing my own bike and staying right off I-70 close to Yeti headquarters. Looking for fun techy stuff and great singletrack. Any advice on can't miss trails locally is appreciated. Thanks!

·
friend of Apex
4,007 Posts
If you have a Yeti, going up the middle of Apex around noon on an even numbered day is the thing to do!

Also, hit White Ranch and do Longhorn down (bike only trail). You can ride up Belcher, but most people shuttle it, cuz that climb sucks.

Green mountain is kinda fun if you're really stoned. The flowers are peaking bro!

For the techy goods, do Dakota Ridge. Finish at Dirty Dogs and have a beer, maybe get in a brawl.

So much to do in So Go!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just remember, if you're riding Apex, odd days are for hiking, because you'd have to be odd to be a hiker. ;)

Dakota Ridge sounds like it is right up your alley. I just rode the new section to the south last night. Janky, techy fun.

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
Why not just ride all of them?

https://www.strava.com/routes/8317438

I mapped this starting/finishing at New Terrain Brewery, easily modifiable to start/end near the Yeti HQ, or at some other Golden locattion of your choosing. Passes through town enough that you could get lunch/beer/bail out if you have to.

Good luck, and Godspeed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The top part of Chimney Gulch is closed at Windy saddle for construction on the parking lot. You can still get to the top by riding the road to the top of lookout mtn. But riding on the road is lame. Stick to Apex.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The top part of Chimney Gulch is closed at Windy saddle for construction on the parking lot. You can still get to the top by riding the road to the top of lookout mtn. But riding on the road is lame. Stick to Apex.
You only need to ride the road for 4 switchbacks (last one is more of a small sweeper), then there's a sign on the right that cuts you back onto Windy Saddle trail, right on top of THE rocky switchback. It does cut out all the fun techy up parts tho.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I'm visiting the area too and looking for some areas maybe a little further into the mountains that are open/good now. In the past I've ridden North Table Mtn, Green Mtn, and White Ranch a few times. Those were all good, though WR climb was more epic than this old feeble guy is looking for. Of those liked NTM the best. An hour or two out would be fine. Checking Trialforks, Three Sisters out of Evergeen looks like it might be OK, maybe Nederland...?

North or south along the front range would be fine too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
3 Sisters is pretty cool, but gets super packed...go early, and avoid the weekends. Nederland trails are a maze, but there's some good riding up there. You may also consider Centennial Cone, if it's not too hot. It's up in the mountains, but there isn't much cover, so it gets warm.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Yeah. I didn't take me long to figure out weekends are super busy with all sorts and afternoons the thunderstorms/lightening starts. ggcsp had me scratching my head for a sec thinking "GooGle Colorado State Patrol?" but then I just googled ggcsp and came up with Golden Gate State Park. On further research looks like a good recommendation. I'm riding tomorrow AM, somewhere.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Gotta say GGCSP is really nice. I liked the riding and woodsy ambiance. Rocks and roots almost reminded me of the New England, and it was wet from the previous day to boot, though no slippery moss. I saw one other rider and maybe 2 doz hikers. The $8 entry fee isn't too bad considering.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
So it’s just the trails that are golden, not the showers.... right?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Not that day. I associate that with a different type of activity.

Buffalo Creek was interesting. I only did a 16 mile loop so lots more to explore. Way different from GGCSP. What's next? I'm looking for one more place to visit before the weekend is out.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Not that day. I associate that with a different type of activity.

Buffalo Creek was interesting. I only did a 16 mile loop so lots more to explore. Way different from GGCSP. What's next? I'm looking for one more place to visit before the weekend is out.
Lair O the Bear west of Morrison is a fun out and back. Skip the first mile or so, and just park at Corwina Park. its around 10 miles and 2000 elevation.
https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/703097/lair-o-the-bear-bear-creek-trail

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I was able to sneak out early and do Lair O the Bear. I took your advice and start at Corwina Park. Very nice. All three, GGSP, Buffalo Creek, and LOtB were great suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
^^Buffalo Creek^^

Also Waterton Canyon to a cool loop option that incorporates a section of Colorado Trail. Waterton Canyon proper is a graded road, boring except when passing a herd of bighorn sheep, which is quite likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.