Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just wanted to post up that I'll be in Fort Collins and then Golden from July 25th to August 3rd, if anyone's interested in showing a out of countrier around :D

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
LyNx said:
Hey, just wanted to post up that I'll be in Fort Collins and then Golden from July 25th to August 3rd, if anyone's interested in showing a out of countrier around :D
Funny, I was just thinking yesterday that I should email and see if you were still going to be out this way. Glad to hear everything worked out. Definitely get in touch and I'll show you some local rides. I'll email you some additional contact info.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
pm me or email me at [email protected] at let me know when you guys are riding. I will have some time off that week do to frontier days. All I really know is Lory, Horsetooth, and little bit of devils back bone. So I can show you around there or I am up for anything else.
Ben

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks for the offers, I'll look out for the e-mail Larry - will be there between 25th & prob 30th/31st. Going up to check out and maybe do the Laramie Enduro Fri & Sat.

Looks like last Sunday might have been my last day riding with the weather that just rolled in :(

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I do live in Barbados :???: Got me a bit confused there, no more rum running required here these days :D We do produce a hell of a lot of rum and consume a whole lot of it as well - Home of Mount Gay Rum, finest in the world.

IndecentExposure said:
You live in Barbados? Wow, I'll take your around Golden for some Rum Running secrets!

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
LyNx said:
Yes I do live in Barbados :???: Got me a bit confused there, no more rum running required here these days :D We do produce a hell of a lot of rum and consume a whole lot of it as well - Home of Mount Gay Rum, finest in the world.
Didn't mean to confuse you. I've sailed in the area. My boat is always stocked full of rum, I just run from island to island grabbing rum from various spots (and drink it whilst heading to the next destination).:D Can have a whole bottle gone by the time I hit Saint Vincent:eek: :D

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, got it. You sailors :D always drinking and navigating :) I used to sail quite a bit and the Grenadines is about the most beautiful place to visit, don't do the rum drinking anymore though, but yeah I know all about those little islands that sell 1/2 gallons of Johnny Walker Black for $20 US.

IndecentExposure said:
Didn't mean to confuse you. I've sailed in the area. My boat is always stocked full of rum, I just run from island to island grabbing rum from various spots (and drink it whilst heading to the next destination).:D Can have a whole bottle gone by the time I hit Saint Vincent:eek: :D

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Must say I'm not so sure I made so good a choice heading to these two locations, seems there aren't many people who live and ride there :???:

Anyway, look forward to meeting the few who seem to live in these areas and ride with you. The rest of you kind folkes, I'll be happy to show any of you around if you ever come down to Barbados and try to help you out with anything you need. It's great to have such a tight brotherhood of MTBRs :skep:

·
RYD W/ FLO
335 Posts
I'm available on the weekends to do some riding in the Fort Collins area if your interested. Also not in Leadville shape but can hold my own for a few hours.

When will you be here?

PM me and I'll show ya some trails. We should get a big group of FC MTBR guys together for a ride. I smell a good time on its way.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Now that's what I'm talking about, would be mightily cool to meet a lot of you fellow MTBRs in person and I'm sure I could sneak up some of our finest MG for sampling.
karatemonkey said:
We should get a big group of FC MTBR guys together for a ride. I smell a good time on its way.
I'll be in the Ft. Collins area from July 25th, 26th, 29th, 30th and maybe 31st, then it's down to Golden area till August 3rd. Flights booked to leave US on August 15th, race is on 11th and I'll be staying on in Leadville most likely till the 15th to save funds.

Don't quite understand the "Leadville Shape" thing :???: I'm coming up from sea level, you guys live at that altitude, I'm pretty sure if there's waiting to be done it won't be me doing it. Anyway I'm up for a holiday and some relaxing riding as well, so no rush when I'm trying to acclimatize, just loads of pics of that beautiful state and keeping a base in.

·
RYD W/ FLO
335 Posts
I vote for 28th or 29th as I am unavailable during the week. The weekends could also allow for a more thorough sampling of the trails. HTMP/Lory mornings, Poudre afternoons with some time spent at Odell's/New Belgium in between. Sounds like a hell of a Sat or Sun to me :thumbsup:

Lynx- You don't drink rum anymore but how bout some delicious Colorado beers? Some of the best are brewed in Fort Collins. And I'm sure the MG would be well received, that is if I am interpreting it correctly.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys are speaking German to me right there :???: All I know is I get in to DIA around 11pm, by the time I get the shuttle and then taxi to my hotel it'll be 1am. Then it's Thursday and time to assemble the bike, which could take a while or not depending on how far I need to take it aprt to fit in the case :skep: it's a XL 29er, need I say more. So yes Thursday afternoon/evening sounds cool.

Fri & Sat I will hopefully be in Laramie sucking wind trying my hand at the 111km Enduro (depending on how the o2 treats me), then be back late Sat night. Sun & Mon are open.

Larry/2Mellow if you could chime in here, I have no idea what these guys are talking about. I'll leave the locals to sort it out and try not to kill me as soon as I arrive ;)

BTW are the weather reports I'm seeing right, around 30-33C daytime and dropping to 15-16C night? Just planning on what to bring as we don't see 20 C here except on a rare occasion during Dec/Jan.

·
RYD W/ FLO
335 Posts
Sorry for that. Here is some clarification
HTMP= Horsetooh mountain park
Lory= Lory state park
Poudre= the Cache la Poudre river
New Belgium= New Belgium brewing company
Odell's= Odells breweing company

Doin the Enduro? Nice. Wish I was joining you on that one.

·
slow
7,686 Posts
We could do a ride in Horsetooth Mountain Park on Thursday evening, starting from the lower Soderburg parking lot around 5:45pm. If we know where you are staying, someone could pick you up and get you to the trail head, or you could have a nice 15-20k paved warm up ride.

Ride would be 2-2.5 hours and include single track and dirt roads. Climbing would be involved. Elevation would vary from 1650m to 2200m.

Riding in temperatures around 15-16C is the best. A light windbreaker is all I wear in those temperatures. This time of year, those temperatures are found mostly just before and just after dawn. It warms up pretty quickly when the sun comes up.

However, be ready for early morning temps around 3-5C in the Leadville area.

·
2,818 Posts
Lyncoln,

I'll be able to show you the easy foothill trails and local stuff for sure. I rode about 7 hours on Sunday in prep for the Enduro, and rode the fast group ride (road) last night...so I'll be doing super easy taper stuff from now to race day. The only thing intense/hard activity I'm doing is eating right now :) .

You can borrow my Ultimate repair stand if you need to, along with any other tools too.

I'm into hooking up at New Belgium Brewery for some beers Thursday night, that would be cool, but I bet you'll have more fun riding Horsetooth Mountain Park. Also, did you get my email about the Lamplighter Inn? It's on College Ave north, about 1 mile from downtown. $35-$50 a night too with a killer Mexican spot across the street. GUYS - if you know of any cheap hotels Hostel-style priced let Lyncoln know. Lamplighter Inn is the cheapest I know of unless there is an extended stay for cheap I'm not aware of. I would try to be as close to Old Town as you can since you don't have a vehicle. Lots of stuff to do downtown, lots of coffee shops, etc.

As of right now tonight it's 71 degrees (21 celcius) out. It gets down to 16 celcius here on the front range at night...but at elevation Leadville it gets COLD at night so bring your jacket and long pants for sure. Daytime temps are 30-37c with little to no shade so we typically ride early or at night (at least I do) - most of our riding is open and very exposed.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey 2Melo can't believe you had a brand spankin new RIP9 to ride last night and decided to go on a road ride :rolleyes: You don't know what you're missing :skep: yeah I got your e-mail and replied, mail mustn't be working well between us.

I want places on the cheap since this trip is going to be 3 weeks long and that would get very expensive just staying in normal priced hotels. HOWEVER I also want to be in the "better" parts of towns/cities so I don't have to worry about have a "Tinker" incident and have my new RIP9 jacked from under me.

Right now the plan is to stay at the Days Inn, 3625 East Mulberry/I-25. It seems like that would be a decent neighborhood and from my searches there's places near for shopping within what I call walking distance. If anyone can clue me into the "bad" areas etc it'd be appreciated. I can deal with the $80 a night and breakfast included (hopefully more than a mini box of cereal).

Seems I might have a few offers for Thursday, so I'll mull it over this weekend and try and figure out a plan by Monday.

BTW are there any decent computer stores with comparable prices to Dell and there specs in Ft. Collins? Would like to keep a journal and download my pics, ride data on a regular basis keep the family updated and am contemplating buying one - was contemplating buying a new comp now anyways as what I'm running now is over 3 years old and a laptop would make it portable for work. Looking for something with some Umph, 2GB ram, 160GB HDD, Core2 Duo, since I run graphics programs that require a lot.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you are planning on taking the Shamrock Shuttle, you may be landing too late. The last one leaves DIA at 11:20

http://www.rideshamrock.com/rs_ax_fortcollins.php?dir=n

You should maybe plan on staying near DIA on Thursday night and shuttling up the next morning.

Also, I know of a really cheap place to stay with all of the amenities...my house. I have a spare bed. I might be flying out on Friday to Virginia to work though.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.