Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay everyone it's official now! The Golden Enduro will take place April 21, 2007 at 6 am. I know all of you have rode these trails many times. Lets see how fast you can link them! I will also be getting and posting GPS coordinates for those of you who want them. Add this website to your favorites to stay updated on the ride.(www.goldenenduro.blogspot.com) I will also update the latest on here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The route is pretty easy to follow. I'll have GPS coordinates posted also as soon as the snow melts and I can get the tracks. Linking these trails may be a little confusing but I will do my best to make sure these are easy to understand even for those who have never rode any of the trails before. For the most part the bike path and side roads are just the easiest and safest ways to link these trails together and I have a good and easy way to do that. Most of the trails are marked well with their own markings with the exception of the Bear Creek loop. But even that will be easy to follow if your using the written route description and easier if your using a GPS. I'll make sure that with basic map and direction finding skills that everyone should be able to navigate the route.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For those of you that don't know. Golden, Colorado is located about 15 miles west of Denver. 35 miles west of Denver Int. Airport. All of the trails have easy access to Golden and Morrison. In these towns it will be convenient to resupply on food or water or even get bike parts if needed just a short distance of route. The Start/Finish is at White Ranch Open Space parks lower trailhead. This is located about 3.5 miles north of Golden, Colorado off of Hwy. 93.

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,879 Posts
Looks like a good route. Do you have a ballpark on the mileage? Are you going to arrange a change in the weather pattern so the locals can actually get out and ride our bikes between now and then? Let me know - I'm going out to the garage to burn some ptex and sharpen my edges.

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
easy ride...

frontrange rider said:
For those of you that don't know. Golden, Colorado is located about 15 miles west of Denver. 35 miles west of Denver Int. Airport. All of the trails have easy access to Golden and Morrison. In these towns it will be convenient to resupply on food or water or even get bike parts if needed just a short distance of route. The Start/Finish is at White Ranch Open Space parks lower trailhead. This is located about 3.5 miles north of Golden, Colorado off of Hwy. 93.
...from my garage. ;)

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
frontrange rider said:
Now that's a detailed route description, right down to the last stoplight!

I know many riders (myself included) who plan a sort-of-annual Golden "Big" Ride, linking up many of the trails there. Now there is finally an "official" event. :thumbsup:

I love how the free, self-supported MTB racing scene seems to have burst into full force this year, and I really hope that they all have fantastic turnouts. Now, if only I could fit all of them onto my schedule...

·
Registered
770 Posts
This needs some work or else

It's going to end up being a controversial event.

Please do not take the liberty of jeopardizing our(mountain bikers) situation any further with Jefferson County Open Space by conducting this non-permitted event. I don't really care if you organize a long group ride(I think this might even need a permit with JCOS) and compare times(unofficially) but publicizing the event as a race, with results is just a s!#%storm waiting to happen.

We all love our trails around these parts and having a race on them will occur some day, however, forcing this upon JCOS without coordination on their behalf will have consequences farther reaching than the few people that turn out for this event.

If you want to promote a race there are means and resources to go about it. Doing it renegade dumps an enormous amount of liability in your lap.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
preparation_h said:
It's going to end up being a controversial event.

Please do not take the liberty of jeopardizing our(mountain bikers) situation any further with Jefferson County Open Space by conducting this non-permitted event. I don't really care if you organize a long group ride(I think this might even need a permit with JCOS) and compare times(unofficially) but publicizing the event as a race, with results is just a s!#%storm waiting to happen.

We all love our trails around these parts and having a race on them will occur some day, however, forcing this upon JCOS without coordination on their behalf will have consequences farther reaching than the few people that turn out for this event.

If you want to promote a race there are means and resources to go about it. Doing it renegade dumps an enormous amount of liability in your lap.
Have you looked at the website yet? The website states that it is a competitive mountain bike ride. And it is just that. A ride.

I posted this ride on MTBR to let other mountain bikers who have nothing better to do on Saturday in April know that I will be there and doing a ride with a bunch of friends on a long loop in Golden.

So what you saying is that every post on MTBR referencing a ride and seeing if anyone wants to join in with you needs permits? How many people need to show up for a permit to be required? 5-10-100? As far as I know only commercial events require a permit. And this is by far not a commercial event.

All I did was put together a few trails that I ALSO love to ride and offer the route to who ever wants to do it and post the times that they finish on my blog.

How am I jeopardizing mountain biker status in any way by doing this? I would be more concerned with the riders riding around the mud pits on Green Mtns south side than this ride.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hmmm ...

"but publicizing the event as a race, with results is just a s!#%storm waiting to happen. "

Funny, I did a full-text search of this page and the home page of the Golden Enduro blog for the word "race", and the only time the word came up was in your post, preparation_h.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Ok, so the Golden Enduro is not a [email protected] - just a competitive ride on trails within Jeffco Open Space.

Then for all those not familiar with JCOS rules - you'll need to educate yourselves on the Rules and Regulations.

Here's some links for y'all to visit that were lacking from the Golden Enduro blogsite.

http://www.jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/rules.pdf

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R108.htm - please visit the park maps for regulations associated with the areas impacted by the Golden Enduro.

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R50.htm - more links

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R130.htm - The Most Important Link of All !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JeffCO OS rules

calzonical said:
Ok, so the Golden Enduro is not a [email protected] - just a competitive ride on trails within Jeffco Open Space.

Then for all those not familiar with JCOS rules - you'll need to educate yourselves on the Rules and Regulations.

Here's some links for y'all to visit that were lacking from the Golden Enduro blogsite.

http://www.jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/rules.pdf

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R108.htm - please visit the park maps for regulations associated with the areas impacted by the Golden Enduro.

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R50.htm - more links

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R130.htm - The Most Important Link of All !

Like I said in the other posting that is floating around mtbr. I expect everyone to use proper trail etiquette and yield to all right of ways. Park in designated parking areas.Try to ride to the parking lot if you can. Remember there are other people out there trying to enjoy themselves also.

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
I've linbked up most of this before. Good long day..we just didn't hit mt carbon (is that the one in bear creek? we wouldn't hit that one because of goatheads) and we didn't hit N Table (I don't think that it existed)..

maybe on the way back you can work in climbing apex to hit the trails that we miss on the initial descent, adn then descending chimney..

If I'm in town, I'll be there. good, hard ss ride...

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
frontrange rider said:
There is a new start time. The start time will now be 04:14. That way we will minimize contact with other trail users on the more popular trails.
Hmm, FWIW, here are a few of my thoughts, and why I would recommend keeping the start at 6am. How many people are you expecting to do this ride? 20? 30? No problem. 50? That's getting a bit large. However, the unofficial Basic Boulder Mountain Marathon routinely has 100+ runners each year. Similarly, a half hour into the run, the crowd has split into groups mostly smaller than 5 people, and unless you knew it, you would have no idea there was some sort of "organized" run going on. I really hope preparation_h didn't intimidate you into this for several reasons...

#1: There is no rule (that I could find after reading the rules & regs) against organizing a "group ride", which is what this is. Loads and loads of people have group rides all over Jeffco open space every day all summer long. I couldn't even find anything regarding maximum group size. In any case, considering this is a "competitive" ride rather than a big mob-of-a-group ride, I imagine that riders will be so spread out (or in very small groups) after the first 45 minutes to an hour that no one will even realize we are a so-called "group". Ever been to White Ranch at 6am, even on a weekend? It's pretty darn empty around that time.

#2: The rules & regs do clearly state that all open space parks are closed from 1 hour after sunset to 1 hour before sunrise. I'm pretty sure sunrise is around 6:30am in April.

#3: prep_h really has no concept of what this ride is about. There is no entry fee, no waivers, no registration, no route markings, no nuthin'. Where is the liability? What rules are being broken? How is this controversial? We're all gonna show up and go for a ride. First person to finish wins... yep, you got it. Nuthin. How is this any different than all of us going out and TT'ing Hall Ranch and comparing our times online? It's not.

#4: Quite simply, (sorry for the political bias here) more liberty means less government. The health, safety, and well-being of people in this ride will be much better than if it were an "official race". Why? Because you are making people rely and be responsible for themselves. Something we need more of in our current society of entitlement. If you expect someone to bail you out if you get dehydrated or break your chain, don't come on this ride. If you can't ride hard without the course being sanitized and marked, don't come on this ride. I could go on and on, but I don't really think it's necessary.

That is all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stefan_G said:
Hmm, FWIW, here are a few of my thoughts, and why I would recommend keeping the start at 6am. How many people are you expecting to do this ride? 20? 30? No problem. 50? That's getting a bit large. However, the unofficial Basic Boulder Mountain Marathon routinely has 100+ runners each year. Similarly, a half hour into the run, the crowd has split into groups mostly smaller than 5 people, and unless you knew it, you would have no idea there was some sort of "organized" run going on. I really hope preparation_h didn't intimidate you into this for several reasons...

#1: There is no rule (that I could find after reading the rules & regs) against organizing a "group ride", which is what this is. Loads and loads of people have group rides all over Jeffco open space every day all summer long. I couldn't even find anything regarding maximum group size. In any case, considering this is a "competitive" ride rather than a big mob-of-a-group ride, I imagine that riders will be so spread out (or in very small groups) after the first 45 minutes to an hour that no one will even realize we are a so-called "group". Ever been to White Ranch at 6am, even on a weekend? It's pretty darn empty around that time.

#2: The rules & regs do clearly state that all open space parks are closed from 1 hour after sunset to 1 hour before sunrise. I'm pretty sure sunrise is around 6:30am in April.

#3: prep_h really has no concept of what this ride is about. There is no entry fee, no waivers, no registration, no route markings, no nuthin'. Where is the liability? What rules are being broken? How is this controversial? We're all gonna show up and go for a ride. First person to finish wins... yep, you got it. Nuthin. How is this any different than all of us going out and TT'ing Hall Ranch and comparing our times online? It's not.

#4: Quite simply, (sorry for the political bias here) more liberty means less government. The health, safety, and well-being of people in this ride will be much better than if it were an "official race". Why? Because you are making people rely and be responsible for themselves. Something we need more of in our current society of entitlement. If you expect someone to bail you out if you get dehydrated or break your chain, don't come on this ride. If you can't ride hard without the course being sanitized and marked, don't come on this ride. I could go on and on, but I don't really think it's necessary.

That is all.
I agree with you Stefan. Seems like we are on the same page. I think that everyone will be pretty spread out and that there will be no problems. But I was also concerned with the couple people that are worried about problems with JCOS. Last the last thing that I want to happen is to get into a conflict with JCOS. I also looked through the JCOS rules and regs and I didn't see anything either.

And I was wrong on the time. The sunrise/sunset calender I was looking at was with the old daylight savings time. The sun will rise at 06:14 on April 21st 2007 according to this website http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calend...;-7;1&month=4&year=2007&time_type=0&use_dst=1.

So that means that it will have to be 05:14 to be within the rules.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.