Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information on this trail? Team Evergreen is supposed to be leading a ride on the Gold Dust trail out of Como, CO on Saturday June 21, 2008. However, the Team Evergreen website has nothing about the ride except "Details coming soon."

How is the ride? Is it rideable or still snowed covered? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Great trail. Are you doing it as an out and back? You also may run into snow, no, actually you will almost certainly run into snow although the trail is on the south facing side of the pass so it might not be to bad.

The first part from Como winds through tight aspen and lodge pole. There isn't really any parking for a lot of cars at the trailhead itself where it starts from the camp Como road. You might need to park in "downtown" Como at the roundhouse. It's mostly non-technical until you come to a 1/4 mile section with big boulders. It then crosses a large wetland on wooden timber bridges and concrete block armouring. It crosses a county road there and you'll need to look for the trail portal on the other side. It climbs to an old mining ditch from there. The ditch is really fun as it winds along for a few miles, You cross another creek and come to a primitive road. You have to do a slight jog across the road to get to the continuation of the trail - look for a carsonite post and (I think) blue diamonds. The jog is only 30 feet or so so don't go too far - a lot of people waste a lot of time going up and down the road cause they miss the trail crossing. From there it climbs up an old two track that is turning to single track to the top of Boreas pass. This section is where you are most likely to encounter snow. this is also the stiffest climb of the ride.

From there you can turn around and descend what you just climbed. You can also climb Boreas pass road to the top of the trial. Look for a post on climbers left as you climb and the trail on a steep embankment about 1/4 mile below the top of the pass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Details

I can't promise you a 'good' ride leader, but I will try. :)

Meet at the new Safeway location in Conifer at 8.30am we will
carpool to the trail head from there.

There should be a bunch of the usual TE people waiting there.

As for the "details coming soon" thing... :madman:

Glyn

·
Registered
546 Posts
it's kind of

short for an out and back. Keep going over Boreas and ride a bunch of Breck trails, then go back. I think the tank trails may be questionable right now though. The other alternative when the snow is gone is Kenosha to Breck to Como (or reverse) that's the way to do it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
it's a fun one

and you're right, it has some legs to it. That section after you cross the road is a grunt and the boulder garden can be tons of fun when you're spent. I was just reminiscing back to a few of the rides I had on it last year when it really was "the short part" of the ride.:)

I don't think the snow is going to cooperate for an anniversary ride this year. We had already been on most of these sections for 2 or 3 big rides last year.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=317046&highlight=como

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.