Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few pics from todays ride, enjoy!

Up we go
Mode of transport Glass Transport Windshield Automotive window part

Gold Cr. Trailhead. Still too early for the rhody's up here.
Mountainous landforms Mountain range Tree Outdoor recreation Mountain

don't take pics while riding
Natural environment Trail Forest Old-growth forest Sunlight

looking at the views
Nature Mountainous landforms Natural environment Mountain range Highland

new bridge replacing the log
Wood Natural environment Forest Nature reserve Old-growth forest

the end is near
Body of water Nature Vegetation Natural landscape Natural environment

Back up to 3 O'clock, down to Lwr Dungeness, and the viewpoint
Mountainous landforms Mountain range Helmet Highland Mountain

Great day to be out riding!
Mountainous landforms Sky Mountain range Highland Cloud

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
FM said:
I was looking at my old Tom Kirkendahl book last night, tryin' to figure out how to hit both trails in one day.

Any details on how you hooked this loop up would be appreciated. :)
Don't you just park at the bottom of Lower Dungeness, ride up to the top of Gold Creek and ride down? :D

Or maybe I'm thinking of other trails.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
I'm talkin' about tryin to do both trails (lower dungeoness + gold creek) in one day.
Would either make a reasonable singletrack climb to access the other as a descent? preferred direction?

Or- if you could catch a ride to the top, which descent would you do first and which trail would you climb for (if I understand correctly they are on opposite sides of the same drainage & same fireroad climb)

·
I should be out riding
1,860 Posts
What Monte said.

I've only done the loop as up Dungeoness and down Gold Creek, but have also heard that going up Gold Creek isn't bad either. Dungeoness is a bit steep in places. Some go up the road, then taking the 3'oclock ridge trail down to the Lower Dungeoness trail, but that actually takes longer then just going up the trail.

FM said:
I'm talkin' about tryin to do both trails (lower dungeoness + gold creek) in one day.
Would either make a reasonable singletrack climb to access the other as a descent? preferred direction?

Or- if you could catch a ride to the top, which descent would you do first and which trail would you climb for (if I understand correctly they are on opposite sides of the same drainage & same fireroad climb)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
If i had enough gumption in order to do what i think FM desires the route would be typical but add on a 3 o'clock Dungeness run back to the cars at the end.

So lower TH parking
Up Dungeness
Up to Gold Creek
Descend
Up forest road to 3 o'clock to Dungeness
Descend back to cars to finish

A shuttle to 3 o'clock would make sense to me.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
FM said:

By "do both trails" you probably mean go down them. I've only done both trails in a day by going up Lower Dungeoness, then up the road and down Gold Creek. That's how I do both. :D

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
FM, you would drive right past 3 o'clock and the top of Dungeness to get to the top of Gold Greek. Way back, we used to ride up Gold Creek and down Dungeness. But, I like up the doubletrack road at the bottom to the gravel road. Down 3 o'clock to Dungeness and up. Up the road to Gold Creek and down. Adding a shuttle to do 3/Dungeness down seems like a waste given the drive time and the short amount of trail going down but, it definately would be a good coast. Up Dungeness and down Gold Creek is the ticket and a decent day in it's own right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts