Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Official info for the Gold Country Gathering April 24th - 26th

Note changes updated 3/24

Camping info…We scouted out the Chute Hill campground on Saturday March 7th. This is really a beautiful campground with large sites. We should keep our group in sites 13-30 at the at the back of the campgrounds. Each site has a large bear box, picnic table and fire pit with BBQ grill…standard stuff. Bathrooms…no showers. Reservations can be made at reserveamerica.com

Here some websites with info on the park

http://www.parks.ca.gov/DEFAULT.ASP?page_id=494

http://www.ncgold.com/Museums_Parks/Malakoff/

Check out this South Yuba video by Merlin…way cool!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...uth+yuba+video

Check out our March 7th 2009 recon photos…Thanx Jilm

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=498218

Friday April 24th - This has changed...I'll be leading a mid to late afternoon ride on the Rim trail and trails around North Bloomfield. Including a tour of the historic town site, cemetery etc...This is a great reason to get up to Malakoff Diggins on Friday afternoon...Hey Jilm...is tis furlough friday?

Saturday April 25th - South Yuba A (around 30 miles+) and B (less than 20 miles) Loops. Leaving the Chute Hill campground at 9:30am and starting at the Slaughterhouse trail that goes into North Bloomfield. We will make plenty of stops to take in the scenery. The route from North Bloomfield will go up Relief Hill road a short distance then down the screaming fast Missouri Bar trail. From there it is downstream along the South Yuba Trail. The B group will start back to camp at South Yuba Camp and return via the Rim Trail. The A group will continue to the turn around at Purdon Crossing before turning back to camp. There are options for a Saturday C Group ride but we need someone to step up and lead it.

Sunday April 26th Auburn. Meet at the confluence of the American Rivers in Auburn at 12:15 to ride by 12:30pm for a 20 -30 mile ride. Depending on how many people show up for this there may be a B ride on the FDLT as well.

Pioneer Trail. This will be a great ride to do after packing up camp and before heading back to wherever. Pioneer trail is a fun out and back and you can ride as much or as little of it as you like. I am looking for someone to lead this ride

On Sunday another option for some might be Bullards Bar.

Beer? Yes! Everyone should bring a quantity of their favorite brew to share on Saturday night. We will be doing some sort of beer tasting contest thingy…details are a bit sketchy…just bring you best brew.

This is a "low hype" event. Just riding, camping, friends and beer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
On a complete tangent, we used to go to Malakoff Diggins as a Boy Scout outing during the winter. I vaguely remember hiking miles in waist deep mud and ending it all with a terrifyingly long trek through a partially flooded underground drainage culvert (similar to the one on Culvert Trail in Auburn except way longer). It seemed like it took at least 30 minutes to get through the culvert, but that might have been due to the fact that there was zero light once you got 100 feet in and the adults wouldn't let us use flash lights. It wasn't so bad, except that there were waist high boulders everywhere that you had to climb over in the dark, never knowing how long the drop off the back side would be that and the ankle deep water running everywhere. Hmmm..

I'd definitely be interested in revisiting this place :thumbsup: .

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm definitely interested in participating in a Gold Country gathering, particularly if it involves camping at the Diggins. I've ridden through the campground on several occasions and though to myself what a nice place to camp it might be. My vote is for the earlier dates, before it gets too hot and "The Oak" starts to overwhelm the South Yuba trail.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dates

I'm leaning towards the earlier dates as well to lessen to PO factor which should be pretty low in April. Right now sites are available on reserveamerica.com actually all sites are available for both weekends at chute hill.

Help that will be needed right now....

When the dates are set in stone...some time next week. Reserve a site or two.

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
Could always

Fast Eddy said:
Instead of Grouse Ridge? Seems like the riding would be limited to that one loop, no?
use Malakoff Diggins as the staging area for other rides in the area. I thought i read something about connectivity between Grouse and Nevada City.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No

For most riders there is two days worth of riding between the entire length of the South Yuba and Round Mountain trails. All of it is outstanding. Pioneer and adjoining Nev City trails are close by too. Bullards and North Yuba just up the road.

It's hard to get people to go to Grouse Ridge to ride. It's an aquired taste for "hard core" types with tons of hike a bike for just about everyone. Join me for a weekend of camping at the lookout this summer though....

on another note....I am putting together some thoughts on this years Tahoe Gathering.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
bigboulder said:
I'm leaning towards the earlier dates as well to lessen to PO factor which should be pretty low in April. Right now sites are available on reserveamerica.com actually all sites are available for both weekends at chute hill.

Help that will be needed right now....

When the dates are set in stone...some time next week. Reserve a site or two.
HI Steve
I would be happy to help out as well. However, the Big Brothers Endurance ride is going to be on 5/16/2009. So, there will be a lot of riders on the S Yuba that day

RIck

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Dates and BONC

BONC may be interested in joining this gathering. I wonder if it would be possible for us to convince you to change this date to one that does not conflict with the BBBS or Leumurian events. They are both very popular.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.