Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to SALT, the Superstition Area Land Trust, which manages the Lost Gold Mine (LGM) trail between Cloudview TH on the West and Peralts TH on the East; we have cconnected 2 new trails to LGM for greater riding flexibility in Gold Canyon (GC).

The first: "SAGUARO SQUEEZE" (thanks Freeskier46 for the name) starts at the noth end of Diamondback, where it intersects 'K', and goes North to connect to LGM. This allows riders to access LGM without riding upstream on 'K'; and disrupting riders coming down 'K'. Its a short techy ride up; but an easy access to Lizard Rock and 'K'. Or, ride, West, back to Cloudview when you hit LGM, if you wish.

The second; "TRANSITION" is a 1.3 mile trail going from LGM heading South to intersect with Snowbird. It starts 1.1 miles East of Lizard Rock on the LGM; look for the sign. It starts off with a few techy rock features (no, not as gnar as Canuck Drop)all of which have ridearounds, and then flows into a medium fast singletrack which goes through some very pretty GC terain. You can then access Snowbird and KIKI and get back to K and the Tech Loop..... If you ride 'T' from the South, it is an easy slope up to LGM; and then the ride West on LGM is sweet; accessing 'K' and Lizard rock. It will make a nice expanded loop for riders wanting more distance thru lovely GC desert.

Note: LGM is a technically-challenging, intermediate trail; requiring extra effort in several places. There are no toilets nor garbage containers at either Cloudview or Peralta.

Bryan, Jacques and I will be hosting an inagural ride on these trails starting from Cloudview TH on Sunday, March 16 at 9AM so come and enjoy a 3 hour ride that will sample some of GC's best trails. It will be medium paced; but be prepared for quite a strenuous intermediate ride. PM me with any questions.

A new GC map will be added to this post in a few days.
cheers.
TS

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fantastic. I've been lurking on these threads as I am coming down from MN for an extended stay. Ridden LGM twice in the past, both times wondered around looking for the good stuff. Unsure if successful, so I may try and make it to the Cloudview lot and tag along.

Ultimately my goal is to link Hawes- Pass Mtn over to LGM with as much good stuff as possible in one day. (I've typed about that before on these here threads)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What...
You should PM Freeskier46. John has recently done that. But the 'good stuff' is either at Pass Mtn; or GC.....or SoMo of course....if i think i know what you mean by 'good stuff'.
The rest is fairly flat X-try (sandy) trails,; ask F46. I'm heading back to BC about april 5 but let me know if you'll be here b4 then and we'll tour you.
cheers
TS

·
How much further ???
2,371 Posts
Fantastic. I've been lurking on these threads as I am coming down from MN for an extended stay. Ridden LGM twice in the past, both times wondered around looking for the good stuff. Unsure if successful, so I may try and make it to the Cloudview lot and tag along.

Ultimately my goal is to link Hawes- Pass Mtn over to LGM with as much good stuff as possible in one day. (I've typed about that before on these here threads)
Here you go. Complete with GPX.

http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/bikepack-salty-gila-tour-march-28-30-a-899754.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
Copy info. That map/ bikepack looks enticing.

Thanks for tour offer.

In town Sat- Fri. If logistics are aligned I will target Cloudview TH Sunday 9AM.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Looks Nice.

I see some really cool loops out there now. GM and Diamondback are those better from north east to south west or rideable from south west up torward LGM? K is better from LGM to torward the black keep road, but I wonder what is good way back north other than Cougar.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm coming down tomorrow and will be riding a SS 29er on these trails. Is 34x21 too steep of a gear setup? Should I go 32x21?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JoePaz; both diamondback and GilaMonster are easy to 'climb'. Diamondback, and now Transition, would be excellent ways to get up to the start of K; albeit 'T' would be a longer ride; but it is an easy ride up to LGM. And 'T' is a sweet ride down; though not as much fun as 'K'; but what is?!
Feedback would be appreciated.

Sorry, Jumpman, I can't answer your questions; other than to say that the ups on Diamondback and Transition are gentle. There really are no prolonged steep ascents at GC.....other than Quartz Ridge. Seems either setup will be perfect. Let us know please.
TS

·
Shore slayer
91 Posts
Hope to see a lots of people out on Sunday. If there are enough riders, we'll break into groups based on pace. Otherwise, it will be a no-drop single group ride. Either way, it will be a fun ride :cool:

The new signage is up. Go get some!

Transition TH_small.jpg

SS TH_small.jpg

Tech Loop TH_small.jpg

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great ride this morning!
8 riders participated in the ride; good comments.
Still some corners need to be expanded a bit. Take a look at the rock teatures at the top before you descend them.
Get out there and do it.
TS

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Love the tech loop sign. I would not have missed it like I did last time with a sign like that!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great trails, and 'thanks' to those that have done all that trailwork.

Somebody has a great eye for the line on Tech Loop.

The signs and map helped this Minnesnowtan get around with ease...

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,349 Posts
Checked out the new Transition trail (N->S) on Wed afternoon. The upper rock features are cool. The trail is in a nice location, if I recall correctly it was 3.9 miles from Cloudview on the Lost Goldmine trail to the split.

TS: What exactly do you mean by 'corners need to be expanded a bit'?? There definitely are a couple of flow-killing S-curves that seem unnecessary. I'm sure it's fine in the uphill direction. I'd rather have a consistently flowy trail than one with extra large speed-checking corners. Maybe I'm missing something there. One my way back to Cloudview I rode the GM to CG connector trail, it curves & swoopes without the need for brake checking.

Don't take it the wrong way, I appreciate the effort to add a new trail out there, just my .02. The lower portion of the trail runs through relatively flat open desert until it connects with Snowbird.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FS46; thanks for your comments. We will continue to tweak; and agree with you. TD showed me a rout map you made, but I don't see it on your post?

If we slow riders down toooo much, the daimondbacks will get them!

I appreciate you ridin the GC trails and we hope to continue to build. And perhaps TD will join us in Nov; if we can tear him away from Paradise!
I'm heading to BC in 10 days so won't do much until October.
cheers
TS

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,349 Posts
TS: I was out there again this afternoon, had the same feeling. It just seems like the turns could be stretched out a bit longer, it's one thing to not have a straight trail - boring, but it seems on a trail like Transition switching it up from twisty to meandering would be the ticket. I don't even know if that makes sense!!! No tortoise sightings today though.

Was TD referring to the route I did on Wed?? It almost looked like a Gold Canyon map, I think the only trails I missed were the last 2 miles of Lost Goldmine & Quartz Ridge due to time. Here's the link:
<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/464241295'></iframe>

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FS46; thanks again for your welcome comments. They make sense to me. Riders' comments are great to have.
We have at least 2 corners in mind; so will have speed sections; then some corners; then speed again; oh; and snakes!
Cheers
TS

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GEEZE; I thot all those fairies were in Sedona! ridin HIGHLINE with TD.
Do snakes like fairies? Hope not.
will ride er again sun AM and discern. More, positive comments are welcome, anytime.
TS

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Chunkey; the corners are alot more flowey now. long live fairies! Hope you'll return from BC in Nov. to build the new trail; go EAST old man.
TS

1 - 20 of 20 Posts