Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going under the knife....well the scope...feb 3...pic below!

just scheduled my arthroscopic knee surgery (torn meniscus--again) for february 3. i was milking it most of last year but it's gotten worse the past few weeks to the point where i need to get it cleaned up. i'm hoping we get some decent rain while i'm out of commission so i don't feel so bad about not being able to ride, plus we could use the water badly. if things go as well as they did last time i had this done 9 years ago i should be back at 100% around the beginning of april. i'm hoping the doc can put something in my knee which would make me a faster climber but i'm not optimistic on that point, mostly just want to be pain free again. so enjoy your riding, and i'll see you in the spring!!

·
is down to roll...
719 Posts
c5- I just had the same thing done at Kaiser WC 12/16/08. I'm on the stationary and the 3 flights of stairs to my place isn't as bad as it used to be. Hoping to hop on a bike this weekend if this rain lets up! Here's to getting old(er)!
-ebR

·
Registered
411 Posts
Have a good recovery :thumbsup: and I am hoping to ride with you a couple of times this year. I have lost my motivation for MTB :mad: , but I am hoping to get back in the saddle and ride again...soon.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,289 Posts
Good luck. Sounds like you'll be back on the bike on time for some summer Tahoe riding. :)

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks gang...and i surely do feel old these days on all fronts!

alain, you at least have to do a couple of recovery rides with ebrider and i.....time to get you back in the saddle at least a little.

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
I look forward to a spring ride with you. We can both get back into shape.

-B

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did my last ride for a while...headlands...

25 miles, about 4000ft of climbing in amazing weather yesterday. it's pretty bizarre that the one thing that doesn't hurt is bike riding. too bad i have to walk and do other stuff with my knee or i'd just leave it as it is. came back pretty tired from all the climbing (up from the gg bridge pkg lot, up bobcat, up old springs, up miwok, up marincinello, up coastal back to the car), i'll miss doing slothlike climbs for a while. only a couple of pix since i was riding solo..one flora shot, the other of my bike getting ready for some time off. i'm hoping to be on a stationary bike a few days after surgery and to get back quickly--it will be worth putting in the work to recover as quickly as my old body will let me. thanks again, see you all soon!!

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Good luck man !! I probably be going to have 2 more surgery's on my knee so I feel your pain. That will make a total of 4 in 2 yrs for me

·
Paper or plastic?
10,289 Posts
Pretty pics. Use the time off for UGI. That's what I did a couple years back when I was off the bike for 2 months.

·
Registered
327 Posts
i know basketball cause most of abuse in my knees, but will mtb riding do the same or worse. i thought riding would be more safe and therapeutic for my knees. any advise to save them knees

·
Registered
470 Posts
cohenfive said:
25 miles, about 4000ft of climbing in amazing weather yesterday. it's pretty bizarre that the one thing that doesn't hurt is bike riding. too bad i have to walk and do other stuff with my knee or i'd just leave it as it is. came back pretty tired from all the climbing (up from the gg bridge pkg lot, up bobcat, up old springs, up miwok, up marincinello, up coastal back to the car), i'll miss doing slothlike climbs for a while. only a couple of pix since i was riding solo..one flora shot, the other of my bike getting ready for some time off. i'm hoping to be on a stationary bike a few days after surgery and to get back quickly--it will be worth putting in the work to recover as quickly as my old body will let me. thanks again, see you all soon!!
ice ice and more ice. That's a good thought back into motion ASAP but make sure and listen to your knee when it lets you know you are pushing it. The quicker you get back the less scar tissue which real important

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks all...i plan on getting back to 'work' on the knee almost immediately. i have a bike set up as a trainer and will be on it within a couple of days i hope.

lamdman, my experience is that biking is fantastic for the knees....it's the thing that has strengthened them imo. it's everything else that hurts it...

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
Still recoverying

cohenfive said:
thanks all...i plan on getting back to 'work' on the knee almost immediately. i have a bike set up as a trainer and will be on it within a couple of days i hope.

lamdman, my experience is that biking is fantastic for the knees....it's the thing that has strengthened them imo. it's everything else that hurts it...
from a ruptured tendon in my arm. Working my strength slowly lifting and riding the "gasp" road. May have to gang up and do some slow poke rides once your further along in your recovery. Good luck man

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here's a pic of what my torn meniscus looked like....

see the picture below...the torn part is literally folded up and wedged between the kneecap and the rest of the meniscus. you can see the torn edge on the left. the folded over part used to be attached and that rough edge used to be smooth.

doc said it went fine, and that he hasn't seen a tear like that folded up and under..so i made the right decision having it done. no real significant pain today, i'm hobbling around a bit at home. keeping the knee elevated and on ice most of the time and doing some minor movement exercises as suggested by the doc. i'm starting pt on friday, but doubt that will do much for me. it will just take time to get this back in business and i imagine i'll be on my bike on the trainer for most of my rehab.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts