Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
shining bright
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding seriously for about the past 2 months, and I am having all sorts of trouble with flats in my tube tires. I'm on a hardtail 29er and it has been suggested to me to try tubeless. I have a pair of used Geax Seguaro tires, some steel bead WTB tires, and also one Kenda small block 8 tire. My rims are mavic 719s.

I read up on some of the Ghetto tubeless articles and I think I may try it.

The biggest issue to me is my weight. I am at 225 on the scale at home, so probably about 235 with all clothes and riding gear on. Who has succesfully run a tubeless setup in this weight catagory and how did you do it? I don't have much money to put towards it, that's why I was looking at the ghetto way. I saw some recipes for sealant and using a tube as a rim strip and all. I'm not sure exactly how all of it works. I might try it on one wheel first and then maybe do the other if It works okay.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am (now) almost exactly your weight. I have been running tubeless since about June 2010 when I got a new 29'r. I'm running a Stan's setup on Stan's flow rims and Kenda Nevegals. (Yes I know Kenda does like Stan's inside their tires.) I have had very good results. I burped a tire a couple of times when I first started running tubeless. Once I cranked the pressure up to 25 - 30 I've had very good results. Most of the problems I've had have been when I got side wall cuts on sharp rocks or a BUNCH of thorns that was just too much for the Stan's to handle.

Some buddies have been running the getto tubeless and seem happy with it. For the time/effort required I would try the cut up inner tube for a rim strip and valve stem and use Stan's liquid. Save having to find, mix, store, etc. the liquid.

·
Genius
936 Posts
There are no weight limits. Do it. I am 215 and ride hard 2-4 foot drops on my regular trail. I have not had a flat since going tubeless 2 years ago. Ghetto tubeless up front and UST Rear. I will never run tubes again.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
cncwhiz said:
I have been riding seriously for about the past 2 months, and I am having all sorts of trouble with flats in my tube tires. I'm on a hardtail 29er and it has been suggested to me to try tubeless. I have a pair of used Geax Seguaro tires, some steel bead WTB tires, and also one Kenda small block 8 tire. My rims are mavic 719s.

I read up on some of the Ghetto tubeless articles and I think I may try it.

The biggest issue to me is my weight. I am at 225 on the scale at home, so probably about 235 with all clothes and riding gear on. Who has succesfully run a tubeless setup in this weight catagory and how did you do it? I don't have much money to put towards it, that's why I was looking at the ghetto way. I saw some recipes for sealant and using a tube as a rim strip and all. I'm not sure exactly how all of it works. I might try it on one wheel first and then maybe do the other if It works okay.
I'm right about the same weight and have been using a ghetto tubeless setup for two years now. I've used both the Tube method and the Gorilla Tape (currently) method. Both have worked well most of the time. Tubeless Ready or Wire Bead tires have been the most reliable (there are no true UST 29er tires anymore so I haven't used UST tires). I have had no burps or blow offs as long as I run my tires at 25-30psi (I had one major burp but I was testing the limits on a icy day and had my tires at about 15psi). Folding bead standard tires are more of a crapshoot, I'm running Michelin's right now that work great but I've had some issues with others (had a Bontrager blow off my rim at 30psi in my garage...just sitting there!). There are some great videos on Youtube showing how to set up both options.

Good Luck

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
cncwhiz said:
So what constitutes a UST tire? I have the three mentioned. Are any of those UST?
UST is a tubeless standard developed by Mavic. It includes specific requirements for bead shape and air retention. There are currently NO UST 29er tires on the market. Geax used to make one but I don't remember the model. If your Geax were UST, it would clearly say on the sidewall. There are however many Tubeless Ready tires in the 29" size. These are tires that use a tubeless bead that meets UST standards but a lighter casing that is not entirely air tight. So a sealant (generally latex based) needs to be used to keep them air tight. Geax does make these and they're referred to as TNT (Tubes No Tubes). If your Geax tires are TNT it will also say it on the sidewall. Your Kenda is not Tubeless Ready (they don't make them) and the WTB tires aren't either (they just started making TCS tires but they are not wire bead).

If your Geax are TNT, I would recommend using them. Second choice would be the wire bead WTB's.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just did the ghetto conversion on my 29er with Panaracer Rampage 2.35's and Alex EN24 rims, using a 26" inner tube as a rim strip. Haven't ridden it yet, but I don't do big drops or anything. I seated them at 55psi and they've held air for almost 2 days hanging from the garage ceiling, so I'm feeling confident. I'm 240lbs and rode this bike with tubes at just under 30psi on trails, 45-50 around campus.

I'm hoping the better rolling I hear about with tubeless means I can just leave it at 30psi and not have to air it up/down all the time

·
shining bright
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SquishyPanda said:
I just did the ghetto conversion on my 29er with Panaracer Rampage 2.35's and Alex EN24 rims, using a 26" inner tube as a rim strip. Haven't ridden it yet, but I don't do big drops or anything. I seated them at 55psi and they've held air for almost 2 days hanging from the garage ceiling, so I'm feeling confident. I'm 240lbs and rode this bike with tubes at just under 30psi on trails, 45-50 around campus.

I'm hoping the better rolling I hear about with tubeless means I can just leave it at 30psi and not have to air it up/down all the time
I'm gonna attempt it soon. Let me know how your setup works if you don't mind. Send me a pm with an update if you get a chance. I would appreciate it :)

·
shining bright
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
UST is a tubeless standard developed by Mavic. It includes specific requirements for bead shape and air retention. There are currently NO UST 29er tires on the market. Geax used to make one but I don't remember the model. If your Geax were UST, it would clearly say on the sidewall. There are however many Tubeless Ready tires in the 29" size. These are tires that use a tubeless bead that meets UST standards but a lighter casing that is not entirely air tight. So a sealant (generally latex based) needs to be used to keep them air tight. Geax does make these and they're referred to as TNT (Tubes No Tubes). If your Geax tires are TNT it will also say it on the sidewall. Your Kenda is not Tubeless Ready (they don't make them) and the WTB tires aren't either (they just started making TCS tires but they are not wire bead).

If your Geax are TNT, I would recommend using them. Second choice would be the wire bead WTB's.
How would I know if they are TNT? Would it be written on the tire? I bought them used and don't have them sitting in front of me at the moment. They have old sealant inside of them, so I'm sure the previous owner was running them tubeless.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
4,039 Posts
it would be written on the sidewall.

·
shining bright
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I checked out mt Geax Seguaros last night and they are TNT :)

I bought them used from a guy in Texas and they probably still have about 50% life in them. I might try to come up with some ingridients this weekend to do some sealant. My rims have holes sized for presta valves. Does this mean that if I use a 26" tube to do the rim seal, that I need one with a presta valve? I don't thing the schrader valve stem will fit through the hole.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
4,039 Posts
That'd be what that means, unless you drill it out to fit schraders. IMO though the gorilla tape method's easier and works just as well

·
shining bright
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got my tubeless conversion done last night folks. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and didn't take long at all. I decided to mount the used Geax Sagauro tires. I called Geax and talked to them and they explained why not to use a non UST tire in further detail. They said that once a non UST tire has been mounted on a rim with a tube inside and inflated, it actually stretches the tire to an extent. Then, when an attempt is made to mount it up tubeless, the tire will have a greater chance of burping because of being stretched. Also, the UST designed tires have a coating of rubber on the inside to help hold air.

I did the gorilla tape method and used my own mix of sealant, which was 1 part mold builders latex, 1 part slime, 1 part antifreeze, and 2 parts water. I used a presta valve cut from a tube for each rim and mounted them up. I must say this was my first experience with a UST type tire and a I had to fight with the bead to get it over the rim. Wow.

The first tire seated instantly, a little leakage from the tape overlap near the inflation valve. The sealant sealed it up pretty quick though. I put 6 ounces in each tire. I inflated the tires to hold a decent ammount of air, but I didn't have an air psi gauge handy so I don't know exactly how much. The back tire acted up a little and didn't want to seat, but after picking up the wheel and rotating it and flipping it and doing the same (to distribute the sealant a little) it popped right on. The same leakage from the tape overlap there as well, but it sealed up. Both are still holding air this morning.

I'm really excited. I'm not out of the woods yet though because I still have not reinstalled the wheels an attempted to ride but I think they will do fine.

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
Not to burst your bubble or burp your tire, but at 260 I couldn't go tubeless...or couldn't for long....

I'm on Flows. Tried Neves and Rampages. No luck.
PSI too low and the sidewalls tear. Even at 50+ PSI the sidewalls would tear.

Absolutely loved the rotational weight savings and it is totally noticable, but I couldn't get a tire to hold up.

Need the tube for sidewall support. Use old Tubes, and put in my own Slime (Super cheap at Home Depot or Lowes compared to LBS), wipe with alcohol, and patch. Heavier, but I don't flat, pinch, or snake bite.....

·
shining bright
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm hoping that won't happen. I had a set of Kenda small blocks and the sidewalls are like paper. The first flat I had was when one of those blew a sidewall when I hit a sharp rock or something. That was running tubes.

Both of these Geax Sagauro tires are now at 35 psi. I'm gonna check them tonight and see if they have leaked down any. I expect to have to add air but I'm just looking for any significant air loss.

The Sagauros seem to have a pretty sturdy sidewalls.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.