Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the stan's 29" rim strips should work?

What about just using electrical tape and the valve from an old tube as in the other ghetto tubeless setup that is posted in youtube?

I got them working with the original ghetto tubeless way and crossmarks but I don't like the fact that I have to replace the tube every time I change tires.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Although....

-LightOn- said:
So the stan's 29" rim strips should work?

What about just using electrical tape and the valve from an old tube as in the other ghetto tubeless setup that is posted in youtube?

I got them working with the original ghetto tubeless way and crossmarks but I don't like the fact that I have to replace the tube every time I change tires.
... that is not a welded rim. It's pinned and shimmed. Meaning, there is never going to be an air tight seal at the joint itself, unless you have some kind of liner that covers 100% of the rim's sealing surface. Ghetto style oughta do it.

I have not tried it myself, so I could not tell you personally if it works or not. Just saying that is something to look out for when engineering (hacking) this thing together.

·
simple
665 Posts
I really don't want to get into it with anyone on this.....just too many ****nuts on this board

The bond between the rubber stans strip and the tire bead is STRONGER than a bond of the tire to the rim inner surface OR electrical tape. If you cut a tube in half and use that as your rubber strip you may have a decent seal as well but it is not as strong.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You can use the Stans Yellow Tape method, but since the rim is not welded you have an area of failure. To combat this you can use a thin layer of silicone on the seam, let it dry, then apply the Yellow Tape. In the end, it will work 90% of the time, just check for leaks.... or spend a couple of bucks on the Stans rubber rim strip and don't worry about it again.... I did both and was much happier with Stans rubber rim strip.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have been running the 470 with just the Stan’s yellow tape for about 6 mos with no issues. I used two layers of tape first the narrow tape then the wider tape. I have run Specialized Captains, Geax Sagoro and WTB Weirwolf down to about 20lbs. Airing up can be a little challenging and requires a compressor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah. I believe that the yellow tape (electrical tape) can work too, but I failed to seal nokian extreme 294 stud tires with a wire bead. Maybe some other tires like the crossmarks will seal but I'll have to try that out first.

Also I'm using FRM sealant, but was planning on making my own brew along the lines of the recipes offered on this forum.

If there is a leakage point in the seam of the rim, shouldn't the sealant seal that too?

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Specialized sends their 520, 470 and 450sl rims out with their blue tape (similar to Stans tape) and valve stems to run tubeless with their 2bliss tires and sealant. Shouldn't need anything more to get them to seal. The rim seam will seal with the sealant.

Specialized is pretty conservative and wouldn't send em out like this if they didn't think they would work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I converted my 470's to tubeless using the Gorilla Tape Method.The 1" wide roll works well,you just have to trim the excess away from where the tire bead seats.One wrap with the tape is all you need.I already had some Bontrager stems,so I used them.The SB8's seated easily and sealed up with the Stans pretty quickly.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
sthrnfat said:
Specialized sends their 520, 470 and 450sl rims out with their blue tape (similar to Stans tape) and valve stems to run tubeless with their 2bliss tires and sealant. Shouldn't need anything more to get them to seal. The rim seam will seal with the sealant.

Specialized is pretty conservative and wouldn't send em out like this if they didn't think they would work.
Well, my experience was poor with the Specialized tape and these rims. Couldn't get these to work at all. The Specialized shop here told me that stock installations of Specialized blue tape are almost always sketchy, so they, (the shop guys) pull out all stock tape installations and do them over for their customers. Also of note, they told me that these rims set up best with two circuits of tape rather than one.

All this was also confirmed to me with Specialized via e-mail. They are aware that there is a problem and were going to Taiwan to discuss the issue to get it resolved.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
I sealed the X470 rims fine with two layers of the base tape, the standard stan's 29er rubber rimstrips, i think 3 scoops of sealant and Scwalbe Racing Ralph tires. I of course sliced the sidewall on a 3 week old RR 2.25 promptly 3 weeks later and had to pull the rimstrip and put in a tube...fortunetly i carry a ziplock bag in my pack, cause that rimstrip is GOOEY after it comes out of the tire covered in sealant.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.