Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the world of tubeless so please bare with me. This summer is gonna be the 2nd year of me racing at a local race series and i would like to upgrade to a tubeless tire. I have read about stans notubes and such but am wondering if i need a specific tubeless ready tire to go with the kit. I will be getting the kit for my bike and just dont know what kind of tire to get. I have 26'' ALEX TD17 DISC rims and i had IRC SERAC XC 2.1 tire (i think they are too noby). What i want out of this is a tubeless tire that has low rolling resistance and runs at a low pressure. The conditions are dry compact dirt with hill climbs and the occasional rocky area. Willing to spend 50-60 per tire.

Any help would be much apreciated

·
Registered
356 Posts
chaloopy said:
I am new to the world of tubeless so please bare with me. This summer is gonna be the 2nd year of me racing at a local race series and i would like to upgrade to a tubeless tire. I have read about stans notubes and such but am wondering if i need a specific tubeless ready tire to go with the kit. I will be getting the kit for my bike and just dont know what kind of tire to get. I have 26'' ALEX TD17 DISC rims and i had IRC SERAC XC 2.1 tire (i think they are too noby). What i want out of this is a tubeless tire that has low rolling resistance and runs at a low pressure. The conditions are dry compact dirt with hill climbs and the occasional rocky area. Willing to spend 50-60 per tire.

Any help would be much apreciated
The best way to go tubeless is Mavic's UST rim it is sure you will be happy:thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mentawais said:
The best way to go tubeless is Mavic's UST rim it is sure you will be happy:thumbsup:
Thanks "mentawais" for the advice but it didn't answer my question about tire choice.

·
Registered
416 Posts
No reason to wait for the summer to go tubeless. For a rear tire I really liked how the Maxxis Crossmark and WTB Wolverine rolled in hard pack and slightly loose conditions. I used the non-UST version and both converted to tubeless with Stan's without much effort using an air cartridge pump. As far as wear goes, the Crossmark lasted longer than the Wolverine. Both tires were the 2.25 size. And the Crossmark tire in the 2.25 is a large compared to other tire brands. I had clearance issues with the crossmark, but not with the Wolverine. Also, I had the Wolverine 'race' version, a light weight model that is true to its billing, not a tire for a lot of square hits or excessive rocky conditions.:nono: I'm running a Hutchinson Python 2.3 UST version now and liking it for the rocky conditions where I ride (not race) but it is heavier and doesn't seem to roll quite as fast. But it is burlier and takes on the sharp edged hits pretty well. Hope this helps....

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Just let your tire pressure down with tubes. You don't need to run tubeless to run lower pressure[ that's a myth], especially if it is relatively smooth. I've got a set of TD17's and like any rim, you can just use some stan's 21mm yellow tape and sealant and your existing tires to try it. To give more security against burping spend some money on rim strips but you don't need them to just try it.

If you want lower rolling resistance upgrade your tires to a good quality 2.2 or 2.25 race tire and lower your pressure. Going tubeless isn't the be all as far as rolling resistance. If you put on something like a race king 2.2's or Racing Ralph 2.25's with tubes you will gain a couple of gears compared to your existing tires run tubeless.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have looked into the tires you guys have mentioned :thumbsup: and the Maxxis crossmark seems to be the good for what I'm doing. But whenever I mentioned crossmarks at my LBS i have also heard about the specialized captains to be just as good. Are these 2 tires any different from each other or is it matter of preference at this point? And any tips on TPI would be great (60 or 120), because I don't understand whats the difference.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've read many good reviews on the Specialized Captains also but I've never ridden on them, so I would say it's a preference type of thing. As far as TPI goes, or Threads Per Inch, 120 is a fine weave producing a light weight xc race only type of tire. A 60 TPI is heavier than
the 120 but more durable and longer lasting. The old MTB adage applies here: strong, light or cheap, pick two.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have great time on CrossMark 2.1 converted to tubeless it is pretty light,low rolling resistence and still can hold technical ,rocky tracks.I had tried CrossMark 2.1 and 2.25 tubeless version are both very reliable tires,The Captain 2bliss is fantastic but its walls is so fragile to use tubeless over rocky terrain,all these tires I had used as rear wheel.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
K thanks for the help guys. I think I'm gonna get one of the captains and one of the crossmarks and just swap them front to back and back to front. So I can see what they can do. :D :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts