Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... today I did a first... after ridin FS since 91 I tried a fully rigid SS today for 5hours of very tech and gnarl riding in my neck of tha woods... the trails here are little intestines ala roots and rocks galore delux... and theres a lot of work to do with the upper body to counter all the harsh hits when you dont have a plush fork to save ya... but, and theres a big but... it really rocked to ride all this demanding trails on this SC Chameleon with a 26 x 3.0 gazza at the front and a 2.3 tioga at the back... I was really suprised to find out that I could ride like 95% of everything on this setup and still have a ball... very nice indeed!!!

Now I just want to know of some custombuilder that will make me a 15" ht with the space for a gazza 3.0 at the back in titanium and I will gladly be a convert... I think that this maybe might be the future of fun and riding... if I can sort out the demands that pop up in my bike-building-teory-head...

Final words: really NICE riding and a great other way of fun in tha woods!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Tobias/Frost said:
Well... today I did a first... after ridin FS since 91 I tried a fully rigid SS today for 5hours of very tech and gnarl riding in my neck of tha woods... the trails here are little intestines ala roots and rocks galore delux... and theres a lot of work to do with the upper body to counter all the harsh hits when you dont have a plush fork to save ya... but, and theres a big but... it really rocked to ride all this demanding trails on this SC Chameleon with a 26 x 3.0 gazza at the front and a 2.3 tioga at the back... I was really suprised to find out that I could ride like 95% of everything on this setup and still have a ball... very nice indeed!!!

Now I just want to know of some custombuilder that will make me a 15" ht with the space for a gazza 3.0 at the back in titanium and I will gladly be a convert... I think that this maybe might be the future of fun and riding... if I can sort out the demands that pop up in my bike-building-teory-head...

Final words: really NICE riding and a great other way of fun in tha woods!!!
Going to the dark side? I would call it seeing the light!!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
How about some specs

if you don't mind my asking?. Specifically, what rims and tubes? I've never ridden downhill wheels before, but I image they are bulletproof, handle great with all that tread and sidewall strength, and hold momentum really well. I also image the steep climbs are a bit tough though once the momentum is used up and you're sawing away, eh?

Good write up. Sounds like you had a blast.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... the front has a Mavic 217 rim... really narrow... and the Gazza gets a nice round profile on it... its a ordinary tube in it and I has quite low pressure as well... bottomed it out a lot of times but no punkture since the tire has so stiff casing me thinks... backwheel has a old Mavic 236 rim and a ordinary tube as well... harder pressure in it but I still felt it bottom out a few times...

The wheels hold momentum nice and as long I was on top of the slightly to heavy gear I could carry the speed up a part of the climbs... then it was just sawing away for all the what the legs could stand ... we dont have any big height diffs here... just 30-60 m but it is really thecnical all the time... I could climb almost everything exept the steepest and those climbs that ended in very roty and rocky tops... with a better gearing me thinks it will be possible to clean even more...

It was a blast indeed and Im still suprised that it was so easy to keep up with the fully geared FS riders... and strangly enough allmost all the punktures among the group of 15 riders where on FS bikes... I will ride this borrowed little beast of bike for a while and see where it ends...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.