Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I put this bike together around 10 years ago and shortly after had an accident that prevents me from riding offroad anymore. It has just sat in my sons old room for the last nine years, it has around 25 miles on it. It weighs 23 pounds with the pedals on. The levers are the ones where the brake lever and shifter lever are the same one. Everything on it is top notch. I realize since I built this, 27.5" and mostly 29" wheels have come along but I know somewhere out there is a following of retro 26"ers. It's still a sweet ride and climbs like a Billy goat (the crank arms/chainrings and wheel set came off of my prior bike).

Anyway, I have no idea what kind of price to ask so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
Specialized M2 Hardtail info.jpg
Specialized M2 Hardtail front.jpg

·
well mannered lout
3,102 Posts
The rim brake on the back is going to hurt you on this one. I'd start around $600 but expect to finish lower.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,712 Posts
You wore the paint off the crank logo in 25 miles? And if you only rode it 25 miles, how do you know it "climbs like a billy goat"?

Reactions: TheRoadNotTaken

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,424 Posts
The rim brake on the back is going to hurt you on this one. I'd start around $600 but expect to finish lower.
That and the whacked out all in one XT brake shifter lever thingamajig (I had a pair of those on a 2004 Kona Stinky Primo and am happy to have survived my bike park days on it). And the age. And basically everything else. No offence to the OP but for me at least, garage space is worth more than an old bike.

All that said...COVID.

So maybe start at $5k and hope for a bidding war?

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,424 Posts
oops...double post :oops:

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,191 Posts
crank ain't worn that's damaged sticker. could be zero miles and have that

·
well mannered lout
3,102 Posts
That and the whacked out all in one XT brake shifter lever thingamajig (I had a pair of those on a 2004 Kona Stinky Primo and am happy to have survived my bike park days on it). And the age. And basically everything else. No offence to the OP but for me at least, garage space is worth more than an old bike.

All that said...COVID.

So maybe start at $5k and hope for a bidding war?
Those dual control levers work awesome on the fat bike with mittens on .

·
well mannered lout
3,102 Posts
When this thing was built it would have been one of the best machines out there. It’s a shame that it wasn’t enjoyed and consumed when it was in it’s prime. It’s going to be a cast off when it would have been enviable.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I thought I was lucky to get $500 for my wifes FS Trek of that vintage with disc brakes thanks to covid.
It had XTR drive train with the much loved XT4 pot brakes.

I wouldn't give you $600 for that, but you may get lucky.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I like that saddle.

Overall, it's a great looking ride. if you want to sell it, list it for $500. If you are willing to hold on for bit, try $900 - $1000. Good looking bikes will always get a bit of attention/activity.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,424 Posts
When this thing was built it would have been one of the best machines out there. It’s a shame that it wasn’t enjoyed and consumed when it was in it’s prime. It’s going to be a cast off when it would have been enviable.
Agreed. I have a few bikes like this in my garage I just couldn’t stand to part with. Fortunately I rode all of them lots in their prime. I should have dumped them though when I could have.

To me, the OP’s bike might make a decent all purpose commuter bike. I wouldn’t buy it but others might for $500 or so.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You wore the paint off the crank logo in 25 miles? And if you only rode it 25 miles, how do you know it "climbs like a billy goat"?
Wow, did I hit a nerve or what? Your tone is very accusatory. I don't recall saying that every part was brand new, the crank arms/chainrings and wheel set came off of my prior bike. You can test ride a bike up hills and tell how well it climbs so in 25 miles, you can tell quite a bit.

I was only looking for some help on pricing it, if something about it offends, a response was not needed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like that saddle.

Overall, it's a great looking ride. if you want to sell it, list it for $500. If you are willing to hold on for bit, try $900 - $1000. Good looking bikes will always get a bit of attention/activity.
Thank you for your constructive info.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for your constructive info, I wish I could've enjoyed it too. :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts