Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm about to head out to do what I've always wanted - travel the world. My first stop is spain then france and I'm debating whether to take my moutain bike or my road bike.

my mountain bike is an 06 speacialized epic sworks with crossmax wheels, x-9'ed out, and racew face all the way - and its bright red .
my road bike on the other hand, is a winsor kight, with 105 all the way around. black - not as bright/in your face

My question is, which one do I take?

if I'm in spain and france I will want to go from town to town, place to place, moutain to moutain but with a my bike i will have to take trains/busses for the longer journeys and settle only in towns that are next to mountains.

hm, what does everyone think> ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
definitely mountain bike! why limit yourself to road only?some towns and their roads are bike unfriendly so you want your bike to handle stuff like curbs,potholes etc..

·
Registered
381 Posts
Lots of pros and cons to travelling with either.

Take the Specialized but paint it matt black with really bad stickers on it to make it less appealing to thieves or take the road bike. Road bikes all look like sh** so thieves are less likely to steal that.

If you are setting out to see the world I would look at getting a touring bike though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you're planning on carrying you're own luggage i would take the mtb. A road bike won't be strong enough unless you specifically set it up for that.

Also there's plenty of mountains between Spain and France :)

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
if you are planning on going to spain I would suggest you take a plane or boat rather than a road or mtn bike

but since you posted this on MTBR not roadbikereview I would say take your MTB, but expect it to get wet

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
cbwarrior23 said:
But the USA and Europe are quite different so I don't see where you're going with this question
The roads are different or the mountains are different? What is the "quite different" part which would influence the decision of which bike is best suited?

·
Registered
84 Posts
MTB! I've never cycled in France or Spain, but virtually every city/town in Germany is connected by paths/trails. In the more rural areas it is often gravel trails. If it is similar in Frace and Spain you could still do it with a road bike, but would be more comfortable with the MTB.

Bring a good lock and have fun!

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
I would take the road bike for practical reasons...I live in city in Germany and work in another 1 lage and one small...there is not a specialized dealer in either..so if there are and specialized specific parts you could be long delayed..

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
You post this question on an MTB forum and seek un-biased responses? MTB 100%, road is lame!

Of course, if you post over on RBR you'll no doubt get a lot of pro-pavement responses.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
cbwarrior23 said:
But the USA and Europe are quite different so I don't see where you're going with this question
And all of USA is the same. If you've seen Florida, you can expect Alaska to be about the same...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in the Pyrenees and I would say road bike without question.The Spanish are mad about road bikes,the French eat, sleep and crap road bikesIn the scale of things MTBs don't even register on the radar where I live,also there is all the famous climbs of the TDF

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.